West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

[Texas] What's it like to live in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Hot... how often does it exceed 90 degrees? That's too damn hot, and I don't want to deal with it on a regular basis. For comparison, in Michigan, we might have one week in the summer that hits 90-95. 100+ is very rare, and some years we never break 90 at all.

DFW has something like 6.5 million people. Traffic is inescapable. As a driving enthusiast, I'd much rather live somewhere where I can actually drive.
90° is pretty common. 100° not so much. Even though Houston is a good 2-3 hour drive south of Dallas, we only get about 2-5 days a year where it hits 100°. Dallas can get 20 days a year of 100°+. Houston weather is like clock work in the summertime. 95°/78°. With the humidity, add about 10° to those numbers to get a real feel though. The reason for Dallas getting higher temps is that it's a drier city. Austin is the same way. Lots of 105° days in the summertime. It's typically 98-101° in Houston on those days. (Houston's all time hottest day ever was 109°.)

I can't comment on Dallas traffic. Austin has worse traffic than Houston, but better road surfaces. Houston has better traffic than Austin, but worse road surfaces.

Population density of Houston is half as dense as Seattle. Or about 1/3rd as dense as Philadelphia. So it never feels like a "big" city.

Originally Posted by 1965GP
Austin is awesome- the day you get there you know where the best of everything. Bike trails, rock climbing, lakes, great food- whatever you want.

San Antonio is a cool town and from what I understand it is more touristy than anything now. When I lived there in the 90's gangs were a big problem- I think it is taken care of now but would look into it.

DFW is very white collar (lots of silver BMW's) but nice. Better seasons and weather than most other areas. fair amount of traffic but not too bad.

Houston is more blue collar (more dually trucks) and diverse. Pretty crowded but the traffic is getting a lot better.

all towns have great food, their own personality and reasonable housing costs. College in TX is also much cheaper (at least it was when I went) than in the north.

best reason to live in TX??? no putting your car in storage for the winter!
Excellent post.

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
My advice to someone from that far up north coming down here, stay in north Texas. Down here in the south Texas its just frickin hot. We hit 100+ 58 times last year, and the rest of the summer was 95+. Down here we have lots of humidity, although less than Houston, and it dont really cool down at night. The moisture holds the heat. Summer overnight lows seem to average 76 at 6am. You break a sweat taking the trash to the curb at 7am. Watching the weather forcast is pointless in the summer. 100/76 every day with no rain. Ever had water restrictions? Trying to keep your grass green will cost you $150/mo for water.

I come from western Nebraska where it is drier. Sure it hits 100 a few times a year, but it was a dry heat and it cooled down in the evenings. You could go camping and fishing comfortably. Here you sweat from April/May to November.

No snow down here. Very mild winter. I miss snow.

San Antonio is a great large city though. At around 2 million people it feels like the 25k town I grew up in. I love the small town feel.

No income tax but they rape you on property tax. Staying out of a city will help there though. My school district taxes the crap out of me because its so large. Smaller towns have much more reasonable property taxes.

Bottom line its too damn hot. I work in a shop so I get some shade but still high temps and humidity. Im dripping wet by 8:30, and stay that way untill I get home in the evening. You dont get used to that wet sticky feel. It sucks.

Ive been saying for years that Im moving back up north, maybe to the Denver area, but the cheap cost of living keeps me here for now. I have a very nice house for my current income, and it would cost double that in Denver. When my wife finishes school in 1.5 years Im probably outta here!
Since Debler lived in Arizona, he knows how dry heat works. The temp ZOOMS up in the morning and drops like a rock at night. The high humidity here holds the temps "low" during the afternoons, but also keeps them from dropping at night. When I moved here, I fully expected it to be hot in the afternoon. I didn't expect it to be still hot at midnight. Or 2AM. Or 5AM.

I 100% disagree on the lawns though. Houston is green as can be all summer long. No brown lawns. No brown medians in the city. The forests are green. The parks are green. Everything is green, green, green! You mentioned it hit 100° 58 times in a summer. My first year in Houston, we hit 100° twice. June is the rainiest month of the year for me. In July, we average 3" of rain for the month.

Rain is different though. I'm used to light showers and the odd rain storm from living in Canada. You know the kind. Where 99% of the time, you use delay wipers. In Houston it's either not raining or it's high speed wipers and hope you can see where you're going. There is no increase or decrease in rain. It's extremely sudden......I like it.....Put it to you this way. Houston gets a few inches more rain than Vancouver does in a year. It rains 160 days a year in Vancouver. But only 100 days in Houston. So it's truly Noah's Ark rain (and often thunder/lightning) or nothing.

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
True. Our track closes only for two weeks, Thanksgiving and Christmas. But cars are slower in 100 degree heat
OMG, you will definitely feel slower. I moved down in August and my car felt like it lost 30 HP. Hotter, humider, more traffic, A/C runs constant at any time of day. Coolant temp runs warmer for sure. Alternator gets a work out. I highly recommend a transmission cooler if you have an automatic. For any vehicle. Not just cars that get raced.

Originally Posted by jread
To me, the only real "adjustment" to make for people from other states is the summer heat. You can visit for a weekend in the middle of the summer and think, "this isn't so bad, I can handle this", but it is the duration of the heat that will break you if you let it.

The rest of the year is absolutely perfect though
Bingo. I remember sitting outside at 9PM in October and wondering when the last time it had gone below 70° outside, daytime or nighttime.....I looked it up on the net. It was March. And it only went below 70° three times the whole month. On the flip side, it feels absolutely wonderful to drive around in January with the windows all the way down and the ventilation set on VENT. Walking to an outdoor cafe and eating breakfast while your northern family is cranking up the furnace and shoveling the driveway.

The interesting thing is that in big cities, nobody under 40 years old has an accent. Everybody over 40 sounds southern. In smaller cities this doesn't hold true.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 AM

In case nobody told you, the roaches are big down here. (They also can fly)

Name:  roaches.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  31.1 KB

This was taken in May. Check out the time.

Name:  nighttime.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  49.7 KB

Despite what others say, I much prefer the moderate temps/high humidity compared to the hot temps/no humidity of desert climates (like AZ). People don't wrinkle as much. Your face is always moist. Yeah, you sweat when going for a hike. But so what. I'd prefer to sweat than feel like I'm overheating.

Something else that I noticed after living here for a year. I'd forgotten what it feels like to be cold. Because you're either comfortable or too warm. It's always warmer outside when you step out the front door. If your wife likes to over air condition your home, you can simply step outside and warm up fast. I'd all but forgotten the "waiting for heat" on the drive to work in the wintertime that I used to go through living in Canada. I'd say I miss the snow. But nobody down here knows how to drive in it. When it actually did snow in Houston in 2008, it was 60° the next day. It melted rather quickly. Another thing I'd forgotten about was seeing vapor coming out of tailpipes. You can go for a year or two here without ever seeing any. I told my co-workers that my car has a block heater in it. And none of them knew what it was.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 AM

Freaking hot and humid, I was born in Dallas and been ever since I want to move to Colorado so bad.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:37 PM

EVERY state has it's +/- .... Because humans beings are opinionated, there is no such thing, (nor will there ever be)... as perfection.

Life and every aspect of it (if you think about it) is about comprimise and tolerance.

yes this state hot, because it's geographically closer to the equator for starters.

Yes property taxes are high, but overall it really isn't that pricey to live in. As long as you look around.

Food is good.

Cars don't need to be put away for the winter

Yes there's gangs and crime...but thats everywhere now.

And as far as texas pride and things being exclusive to Texas... hey there is nothing wrong with state pride, those it bothers either hate it because THEY have pride in THEIR state, or they just grew up knowing nothing about it and not caring, so since ignorance is a stepping stone for hate...well you can figure the rest.

Another person posted that they were in education and that they notice the people here were "****ing stupid" ..... yet this person themselves didn't just realize they created an oxymoron in making that statement .... in THAT way. And just an FYI for that person.... people are stupid everywhere! Thats why our great country is going to hell in a handbasket quick!! but that's a whoooooole 'nother story.

Like every other place in the world it has it's +/- . The question is what is your tollerance level? What are your +/-'s for living somewhere? If you ask for an opinion...that's what you are going to get... and lots of them but in the end the truth is that the only one that matters.... is yours!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM

I'd all but forgotten the "waiting for heat" on the drive to work in the wintertime that I used to go through living in Canada. I'd say I miss the snow. But nobody down here knows how to drive in it. When it actually did snow in Houston in 2008, it was 60° the next day. It melted rather quickly. Another thing I'd forgotten about was seeing vapor coming out of tailpipes. You can go for a year or two here without ever seeing any. I told my co-workers that my car has a block heater in it. And none of them knew what it was.
waiting for heat? you mean freezing your *** off in teh car waiting for it to heat up? I go through that here in the winter time when its under 60 or so.

i see vapor off of tail pipes all teh time.

your on crack gord
Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 AM
West South Central Moderator

Yep, it gets chilly in Texas, but not near as cold or for near as long as up north.