West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Anybody seen the emissions checkers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 AM

Anybody seen the emissions checkers?

Has anybody else seen these? They are little checker deals that are set-up on the on-ramps to freeways. I have seen a few around rockwall. I was reading up on them and if you drive through it and ur car doesn't check ok. They will flag your plate number and when you try to get the car registered the next year they wont let you register it until you can prove it passed a full emissions test in the county you were caught in. This sucks since I have no emissions equipment on my car b/c I live in a non-emissions county.

I just figured I would give everybody a heads up so if you know your car isn't emissions legal I wouldn't drive through one of these things.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 AM

The trick to these is to coast past them, don't accellerate past them. If there is no exhaust they can't read it.
Anyway, that's the theory.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 AM

Here's a pic I took of one last year:

Old 11-09-2006, 11:21 AM

kill your car and coast through them....old trick...and i hear they will send you a ticket in the mail...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:32 AM

There are lots of theories about how to "beat" them, and then I've heard theories about how they can tell if your car magically has no exhaust fumes. I believe that have a sniffer, so the equipment is supposedly "sucking" the fumes. In that case, most car's emissions are worse at idle, so costing through would be worse.

That's all hearsay and BS. Avoid urban freeways and stick with tollways and side streets. Else, get cats and a hotcam. JMO.

Ryan

Last edited by 96speed; 11-09-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Yeah they use a sniffer, if you look in the pic you can see it sitting on a tripod thing on the right side of the road. Shutting the car off and coasting through would be a good idea. I don't see how they could send you a ticket if your car isnt registered in that county and if your car is registered in a non-emissions county.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM

The machine beams infrared and ultraviolet light through the exhausts of passing cars.
From an early article during testing.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:20 PM

Just kill it. What are they going to send you a ticket for? No emissions?

They are looking for high emissions.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 PM

Don't kill it and coast. They don't like that. Just go down to the next on-ramp. Problem solved.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
Don't kill it and coast. They don't like that. Just go down to the next on-ramp. Problem solved.
They dont like that? Tell us, what do you know about what they like and dont like.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
I don't see how they could send you a ticket if your car isnt registered in that county and if your car is registered in a non-emissions county.
it is against federal law to remove emissions from cars. that is why they can write you a ticket.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:55 AM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ight=emissions

Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM

Because this system uses a light beam or beams, if there is no exhaust then there is nothing to read.
and then I've heard theories about how they can tell if your car magically has no exhaust fumes
This system is based on science not magic. If there is no gas then there is no reading. This is why they install them mostly on, on ramps, because you are excellerating and therefore producing large amounts of gasses.
Just go down to the next on-ramp
You can't go to another ramp if you don't know it's there!!! What are you going to do stop and back up.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
You can't go to another ramp if you don't know it's there!!! What are you going to do stop and back up.

If you can't see what an 1/8th mile up the road on the on-ramp, then you don't need to be driving. They have 50 million orange cones out there and a van parked on the side of the on-ramp.

And on a side note, I even know WHERE they like it.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
it is against federal law to remove emissions from cars. that is why they can write you a ticket.

And they can't tell if you have removed any or not. I can buy a brand new car here and take it to Cali, and it will not pass emissions. If you are not registered in that county and are in a non-emissions county, they can't do ****. But when it comes to vote on emissions again, it helps their cause because they have a record of X amount of cars from that non-emissions county.

Quick Reply: Anybody seen the emissions checkers?