V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

this is wut im gonna do

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 PM

this is wut im gonna do

i was with my cousin yesturday and he said that we are going to put a supercharger on my 3.4liter v6 and so i will have a on off switch for it and everything and a blow off valve. so my question is how much psi do u think i will be able to push if i have 117,000 miles on it currently my cousin said 7 psi but i want to be care ful because this is my normal driving car like for work and stuff so i did not want to blow the engine. Do u think 7 psi will be safe on my engine with headers and exaust with that many miles. how else am i able to make my engine with stand more psi?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:22 PM

Talking Interesting...the saga continues...

This should be entertaining...

This board needs a spell check feature.

Last edited by ImportKILLER; 06-30-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:25 AM

hey

hey import killer can u help me out bc i just dont want to blow my engine.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:59 AM

If you cannot afford to break it I suggest that you not do anything to compromise it's reliability. You should not race a car you cannot afford to break. You should baby it and be as gentle with it as possible.

I am certainly interested in the off switch you plan on using on this supercharger though. What purpose would it serve, even if it did work?

You need to stop getting all of these ideas in your head without being fully informed about the topic. This is a prime way to get scammed. I think it is better that you leave the car alone and start reading as much information as you can get about cars, and performance. Pick up a few car magazines (things that focus on the technical aspect of performance, not on da phat dubz deez boyz be rollin' on) and see if you can understand one of the tech articles. Use the internet, search, and start figuring out everything you can.

A fast car is a lot of work. Working on a car requires a lot of knowledge. Right now you seem capable of neither, so I will not give anymore input on your desire for speed. The best advice I can give I already have; learn, THEN drive.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 AM

These engines aren't the best for super charging.
To have good super charger heads they need a high flowing intake port and big intake valve, the 3.4 heads have neather one of those.
There heads are better for nitrous or turbo.
If you blow it get a better one.
One thing a lot of the ricers do when they slap a turbo on there car is they forget about the air induction system.
You see alot of them with stock intake and stock heads they don't bother with porting and just turn up the boost, wrong idea. Just becasue the air is under the pressure doesn't mean it flows any different.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:02 AM

What are you talking about "Not good for a supercharger" ?!?

You forget the 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 are essentially the same motors and the older 2.8s and 3.1s have always had superchargers available for them and they perform great with them. The heads on the 1993-1995 F-Body 3.4s use the GM Performance Parts iron heads with 1.72" diameter intake valves and 1.42" exhaust valves stock. Sure some porting will help but you underestimate the stock heads, they can put down some good numbers.

Theres a stock 3.4 (stock intake manifold, stock heads, stock bottom end) with a cat back exhaust that picked up an extra 80 rear-wheel horsepower on top of the catback HP with a Vortech custom installed on it at 8lbs of boost w/ Vortech FMU, BOV, and tuning.. Yeah, 3.4s dont flow... When mine is installed I should pick up some more than that with an aftercooler.. Then when I have more $$$ saved up my motor is getting built on the inside to handle more boost - if I did the math right I should be able to hit about 340hp and 415tq... Atleast, thats what the local engine shop and I came up with...
Old 07-01-2004, 03:59 PM

keithyscamaro: you need to wake up. this fantasy life of yours where you can have a super fast car is way out of your league. pick up a book and start saving money for the next 2-3 years and then get back with your bright ideas.
secondly, the amount of money you want to put into this car is just not worth it. sell teh damn thing and get an ss if you want to be fast. A LOT less trouble and worry. i understand for others out there that you do stuff to your v6's to be different and, hell, i wish i could do the same.. it's plain out awesome and completely different. i'm not bashing you guys. just this kid.
look, if dropping a supercharger into your car was going to be easy, don't you think everyone would have one on this site?
save up money and get a better car
Old 07-01-2004, 04:15 PM

Exclamation

Originally posted by bellcamaro
keithyscamaro: you need to wake up. this fantasy life of yours where you can have a super fast car is way out of your league. pick up a book and start saving money for the next 2-3 years and then get back with your bright ideas.
secondly, the amount of money you want to put into this car is just not worth it. sell teh damn thing and get an ss if you want to be fast. A LOT less trouble and worry. i understand for others out there that you do stuff to your v6's to be different and, hell, i wish i could do the same.. it's plain out awesome and completely different. i'm not bashing you guys. just this kid.
look, if dropping a supercharger into your car was going to be easy, don't you think everyone would have one on this site?
save up money and get a better car

Old 07-01-2004, 09:03 PM

I know more about the stock heads than all most any one. I have #'s on them that you can't get any where else. I have a pair of them all taken apart in the other room right now.
Does any one even know the intake/exhasut runner vol and chamber vol? I cc'ed them.
Who here knows the intake ports and exhasut ports flow all most the same CFM through out the entire valve lift range?
The stock heads intake ports flow 117cfm @ .45'' lift and the exhaust flow 103cfm @ .45'' both taken @ 28'' of water.
With a real good porting job you can increase these flow numbers about 30%.

The intake hurts the intake #'s compaired to flowing just the head alone.
Source: my cardoian site in the sig
( don't have the flow #'s on there, I should add them some time)
Also a good place to get some ideas for forced inductoin on a 3.4L.
I posted a topic awhile ago called "why V6's have no top end" mainly about the heads.
You can make a V6 fast, no one should tell you any different and I won't tell you not to super charge it. Just that I have seen super charging kits that cost several thousand $$$ and only bost adding 60 or 80hp, that is totaly not worth it to me.
If you realy tried you could get well over 200hp at the crank n/a if you used a mechanial cam, ported every thing, raised c/r, headers and a killer igintion for cheaper with stock bottem end than a usening a blower.
I just think that all that $ for a 240hp v6 isn't worth it, people that do a junk yard wars style turbo set up for $2000 or so and 240-270hp seams to be most peoples entry level, an in that's just there starting hp not what they end up with.
For about $1400 I will beable toget my twin turbo set up in my car and running. To get it running right and at full power with the proper ignition, fuel management and legal exhaust will be more of course.
You can do a lot with theses moters.
If you would like to talk hyopthetical #'s, *if* I could ever run 23psi of boost (my goal) the v6 it could put down as much as 500hp on the road even with worst case volumemetric efficeny.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 07-01-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:06 PM

ok

thats nice but no one answered my question is it ok to have 7 psi with a supercharger on my 117,000 mile v6 3.4 liter?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 AM

Get a compression check and test your fuel system completely before doing anything. It doesn't matter how many miles are on it -- you could have 20,000 miles and if you beat the **** out of it you could still **** it up with a blower.. Like we said, go out and learn before you **** it up bad.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by OneSickSix
...Theres a stock 3.4 (stock intake manifold, stock heads, stock bottom end) with a cat back exhaust that picked up an extra 80 rear-wheel horsepower on top of the catback HP with a Vortech custom installed on it at 8lbs of boost w/ Vortech FMU, BOV, and tuning...
i think the 60* engines are great if you have the right parts in them. hell i picked up an extra 40 rwhp and 40 rwtq and i'm still n/a -- all my parts are in "as they came from the factory" condition too. now wether they all originated on the car is up for debate

o yea im running a healthy 9.6:1 CR too :-D

boost a 3.4 - turbo a 3.4 - works fine. if you dont port tho you will not get as much of a gain as if you do. bigger valves dont always help tho. they help move air, but if you make em too big you will change the characteristics of the swirl pattern in the chamber, and that will hurt performance. James Montigny, a close friend of mine, and Nick Norris taught me that

anyway, back to the point at hand. boosting 3.4L engines is perfectly fine if you do it rite. tiagos turbo put him into the 270-280 hp range and like 330 something tq. and im probably stating those numbers TOO LOW. you really should ask him.

to those of you that think the 3.4 is a waste of time - fu. thats all i gotta say.

-R

p.s. - that reminds me, i still have the factory (came in the car) block and cam and programming. i changed other things, but those remained the same. my dyno numbers that i speak of were with 3100 parts, and now i have 3400 parts guess i should update the sig..heheh...and redyno..

Last edited by 94Camaro; 07-02-2004 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:25 AM

Russell, where you been man?!

on the new setup it made 290 rwhp and 373 rwtq at only 5 psi!!!!

Old 07-02-2004, 10:40 AM

You can boost your high mile 3.4L.
Make sure it is it in good shape before you start.
If I were to do that I would at least pull the heads and check every thing I could out and put on new head gaskets.
Your heads with 100,000+ miles will look like @$$ being all craped up with carbon and rust type stuff stuck to the combustion chamber, you see them you might not want to put them back on like that.
These engines are made to last as much as 300.000 miles and it's not going to just blow up if you put a blower on there.
Now if you put a blower on there and beat the crap out of it all the time it will blow up.
You should realy have some porting done and get a cam you could run less pressure and make way more hp.
I spent about 3hr today porting a pair of 3.4 heads, I took out about 3/4 cup worth of iron shavings and I'm still not done. I thought I had found a crack in the middel intake port, but it was just a bad casting spot. I did go freaken insane on the exhasut ports with my biggest porting bit.
You want a moter that is running it's best and strongest n/a then put a blower or turbo for best results.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:11 AM

Smile thanks

thanks for the info and advice. Any advice is welcomed. It wont be that hard to supercharge my car my cousin can install it and every thing and i get free oil and oil changes bc i work at jiffy lube!jk no seriously i do work there but any ways.... It is easy to do this my cousin said we can get one for 600$ and i got my check coming in from my accident!

Quick Reply: this is wut im gonna do