V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

See if you guys can figure this one out..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:26 PM

See if you guys can figure this one out..

My girls little 3.4 camaro has developed an issue with power.It seems to be strugglign badly after about 2300rpms or 1/4 throttle..You can hear the intake sucking loudly and it just feels like you have the brakes on.
Steady driving is fine.gas mileage is about right.Right off the line it is normal but as yo ask for more than say 1/4 throttle is just lays down.A4 shifts fine.No misses or lights coming on.

I pop the hood and there is this assembly on the lefthand side of the motor.It is some sort of EVAP/Emissions garbage.It stems right of the exhaust header.Three little canister looking things.When the car is idleing it sounds normal.When I hit the gas it blows hot *** air out the side.I'm not sure if that is a normal thing or if a gasket is blown.The air escaping is not from the riser to the three canisters.It is blowing from the gap under the canisters.

Any ideas on this?????//
Old 09-29-2006, 10:05 AM

Re: See if you guys can figure this one out..

Those 3 little canisters you talkinbg about is you EGR (Exhaust Gas Reciruclation) valve. It can cause an engine to run poorly depending on the conditions. Try cleaning it out, they are prone to carbon build up. Theres going to be 3 star pattern bolts right on top of the triangular shaped valve (between the "canisters") once they are out pull the entire top off and it will expose 3 spring loaded valves, they are kind of shaped like bullets. they will be sitting freely on the the triangular mounting plate. take them out and clean them with CRC brake clean (or any brake clean for that matter) you'll see a bunch of black stuff run out of them. Also where they sat in the three holes, clean that area as well. when you re-assemble the entire thing make sure the plate lines up because one of the triangles corners is slightly flatten as opposed to the other two which are rounded. That should make it run better. If not, it may need to be "tweaked" a little like everything else on a car. If you get a check engine light before you clean the EGR valve, given the symptoms, it is most likely the EGR valve cellunoid. Sounds bad but all it boils down to is the valve needs to be cleaned, the cellunoid just gets carbon on it, cleaning the 3 valves will solve that. It only takes aboiut 30 minutes to do the whole thing. Hopefully this helps.