V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

rattleing/bad bearing noise... waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:24 PM

rattleing/bad bearing noise... waterpump?

my 1998 camaro is making this noise when it starts up you hear the noise when the engine is cold but when the engine warms up you cant hear it no more it sounds like a bad bearing on a pulley or something but i think its the water pump but not sure temp gauge is working fine no over heating there was not very much play on the water pump pulley at all hard to explain the sound but it still runs and drives perfectley fine. it also kinda sounds like a rattling sound but its really hard to explain please watch and let me know what you think thanks!

watch video here...

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1679& transactionid=1315193045-2411516594&posted_by=Swavely_www.camaroz28.com&you tube_video_id=S0aIDfhblBk[/autostream]
Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Re: rattleing/bad bearing noise... waterpump?

"Suspension, Chassis and Brakes" isn't the best forum for this topic. Let's move it to V6 Tech and see if you get a better response.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 PM

I hear a whining sound, check power steering fluid level. Also go ahead and take belt off and spin the water pump and the idler and the tension pulley by hand slowly. they should rotate smoothly and you shouldn't feel them "cog" is what I describe the feeling as. What I mean is the as the ball bearings rotate, if the bearing grease has dried out or some small dirt has gotten into the pulley bearings it will feel like a very fine tooth ratchet if you know what I mean.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Swavely,

Have you replaced your power steering pump recently? It sounds like you may have air trapped in the power steering system and is causing the whining sound that you hear. Try bleeding the system by following these steps:

1) Make sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

2) Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle with jackstands.

3) Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, until you contact the stops.

4) Fill the power steering reservoir to the FULL COLD level and leave the cap off.

5) With an assistant checking the fluid level and condition, turn the steering wheel right to left, lightly contacting the stops, at least 20 times. Keep the fluid level at FULL COLD.

If there is any air trapped in the system, it may overflow, so make sure to thoroughly clean any spilled fluid. If any air bubbles present, check the connections, then repeat the previous step.

6) Start the engine. With the engine idling, keep the fluid at the same level.

7) Install the reservoir cap.

8) Return the wheels to the center, straight ahead position. Carefully lower the vehicle to the ground.

9) Keep the engine running for 2 minutes.

10) Turn the steering wheel in both directions. Make sure the following conditions exist:
Smooth power assist
Noiseless operation
Proper fluid level
No leaks in the system (refer to this Camaro P.S. system diagram)
No bubbles, foam or discoloration in the fluid

Hopefully this is the cause of the sound that you hear at idle
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM

What happens when you turn the A/C on? If there's a change, its most likely the a/c clutch. Had it happen on my old 95 firebird and sounds exactly the same. I can't tell where its coming from in a video, but it does sound like the a/c clutch to me.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

I just started having the same prob. in my 96 rs I think it might be the tensioner pulley because if it was the w/p it would go away at higher rpms
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM

I find out what mine is its the idler pulley above the a/c compresser