V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Power Steering Quits

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Power Steering Quits

I have a 96 R/S 3.8 with power steering problems. I just recently bought the car and the power steering didn't work. The pump was full of fluid, no metal shavings, and was not making any noise. There were no leaks, either in the pump or the rack and pinion. There just wasn't any power assist when you tried to steer it.

I cracked the power steering hose fitting to check for pressure and it didn't seem to have much when turning the steering wheel. I assumed it was the pump and replaced it. That seemed to solve the probem as the power steering at that point worked fine sitting in my driveway.

The problem came when I tried it on the road. I drove it for about four miles at 25 to 30 miles an hour, no problem. When I got it out on the open highway I ran through the gears, up to redline on the tach, for about a half mile. At the end of the half mile I slowed to around 60 for another half mile and stopped to turn around. To my surprise, no power steering. As I drove home the power steering returned however I'm at a loss as to what caused it to go out. I haven't driven it again to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Any suggestions?