V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Please advise on problems with 95 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Unhappy Please advise on problems with 95 Camaro

I have a 1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L V6 with a blown headgasket. Beyond the headgasket, the car had overheating issues (the fan originally blew a relay, then finally died itself, thus causing the headgasket issue).

I have since gotten a second vehicle, a 98 Mitsubishi 3000GT. I am happy overall with my 3000GT, but I miss the camaro soooooo much.

This camaro was my first REAL car (officially, 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity was my first car) and I have put a lot into it in the past year.

I just put a brand new set of tires on the car and even had a spare fullsize recently purchased. I had purchased a replacement driveshaft for the vehicle (the previous one's joints had worn, causing a weird sound when accellerating). Furthermore, I had just gotten a brand new silver paint job on the car a few months ago.

I want a second car, that way if something happens I can still go to work. Furthermore, I long to drive an FBODY again and everytime I see my camaro parked in my driveway it just breaks my heart.

The Parts I currently have waiting to install on it are as follows:
1-Piece Driveshaft (Purchased just before headgasket blew for $300)
1 Full Size Wheel & Spare Tire
2x 7 Inch LCD Screen Sunvisors & Rearview Nightvision Camera
Black Vinyl Hood Decal for shadowing the natural curves of the stock hood.

The Repairs I have done in the past year on the car are as follows:
Rebuilt entire A/C System ($1200)
Four Brand New Performance Tires ($500)
Silver Paint Job ($1000)
Clear Corners ($50)
Brand New Complete Break System (Complete Front & Back, Calipers, Ceramic BreakPads, Drums, etc.) ($350)

These things may not sound like much, but I just feel like I have already put a lot into this car and hate to lose it all. At the same time, I had always wanted to increase the power of the car beyond its stock 160HP (3.4L V6 can't do much without A LOT of modification)

I know almost NOTHING about mechanical repair, so performing a headgasket repair myself would be completely out of the question.

Best I can tell from online, headgasket repair would cost me about $1200.

What I am trying to decide is whether I should save up and pay to have the headgasket repaired or if there is a better option. I really HATE the idea of just getting rid of the car, considering I have put so much into it and I have so much attachment to it, but at the same time I can't exactly afford to put $5000 into this car.

I was hoping to find some sort of solution under $2000.

I have thought about maybe looking around and trying to find another similar car with more power (i.e. a Z28) and transplanting what I could over to this new car, but I didn't know what my best options were likely to be.

I live in North Eastern Florida, Near Jacksonville, and am right now just trying to find the best solution to be able to proudly be driving an FBODY again.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM

did the car really overheat badly or was it light overheating and you pulled over towed etc., (smoked bad??)... reason I ask is if it is just the head gasket that is really not that bad to fix, but if it overheated badly then it is possible that something else was damaged.

BTW doing the head gasket yourself is not really that hard to do as you don't have to mess with the bottom end at all. So I wouldn't completely count that out... mine blew a few months back, and I didn't think I could do it at home in my little garage/tool set but it really wasn't that bad; I just read the Chilton’s for torque etc., and the only tool I needed to buy was a quick disconnect fuel connector.. so that + the gaskets was at most $100 out of pocket.. course mine turned out to have a spun bearing also so that's another story but fixing the headgasket got it running enough to sell or trade in???

Last edited by smithtim; 06-12-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:58 AM

It might be hard to find a donor Z28 for 2K, but it is possible. Another option might be to find a donor 3.4L in good running condition, but with the cost of the motor and the installation cost, that would probably tally the same or more as it would to have the head gasket repaired on your existing engine. I would just save up and have your current motor fixed. Also, shop around, there may be a shop that can do it cheaper.