V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Not able to burnout? 3.8L Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:29 AM

Re: Not able to burnout? 3.8L Auto

have you tried slighty pressing the gas then let off, then push the brake in with one foot while hitting the gas. of course this all happens very quickly so your not really moving but it works for me.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:47 AM

its simple, if the power can't be put to the ground properly, then it thows off the power output and u can't burn out. I was moving a z28 over the weekend, the rearend was just finger tightened on the shocks, lcas, and torque arm, and it could barely move up a ramp, in fact we had to pull it up. drove fine, down the ramp, had lots of power, but jsut because the suspension wasn't hooked up properly, it couldn't get the power to teh gound, it just sat there when trying to go up the ramp.

More than likely its not your suspension. Could be ur LCA's, but i doubt it. The most common problem with camaro's not being able to burn out is the tranny mount. It makes the tranny sit a little bit lower, give the torque arm the wrong angle, and power being distributed improperly. It would be worth your time to put a jack under ur tranny, and take off the crossmemeber, only about 10-15 minutes. Check out the mount. they ussually go around 70-90 thousand miles, but can go sooner or later depending on how teh car is driven.

Check your lca's while ur under the car. If you've had work done to it make sure everything iis torqued down right so that the power distribution is correct. Also i've had friends who couldn't burn out due to their torque converter going bad. Just do a little exploring and see what breakable parts need to be replaced.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:45 PM

i cant understand what would posses someone in thier v6 camaro to sit and do brake torques. We are all men here and some of us really need to act like it. Did it ever occur to you that your raer brakes might be properly adjusted and thats why you cant spin your tires with your brakes on....

now thats out of the way ill give you my honest input. I had this same problem with my 96 camaro 3.8 v6, i just couldnt spuin them n e where (i mean just hitting it off the line,NOT FREAKING BRAKE TORQUES!!). It seemed like there was almost a delay from when i put my foot to the floor and how fast the tires would spin up. It ran fine no miss or n e thing just wasnt very punchy off the line. About a month later on a cold day my fuel pump went bad, after i replaced it, the car ran fine and would spin on demand pretty much unless i have people or been driving around all day. My mother had a 3.4 camaro when i had my 3.8 and like stated earlier it almost seemed that the 3.4 could do a burnout just hitting it off the line as good if not better than the 3.8, it wasnt really until higher rpms you could tell the massive difference between a stock 3.4 and a stock 3800 with both cars running properly. thats my honest opinion, and dude seriously if you have any respect for your car and camaros all together dont sit there like some 17 year old high school kid with his exahaust cut off his v6 camaro trying to do brake torques. My stomach hurts just picture the image of someone doing this to thier car, especially a beautiful 4th gen camaro. What would posses people to do some things is beyond me but seriously have more respect for your car!

Last edited by FIREBIRDMIKE; 02-27-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:12 PM

Can we just make a sticky about burning out in a v6?

1st, JUST ****ING HOLD THE BRAKE AND ROMP THE GAS!

2nd, BURNOUTS ARE GAY, anyone that has been around cars, know you can ****ing burnout in a 90 hp car. Its is no sign of power, no one cares, maybe once in a blue moon is cool.

Its like those dip****s who rev and purge over and over in the staging lanes at the track to look cool. Everyone as seen that its not that cool.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
Can we just make a sticky about burning out in a v6?

1st, JUST ****ING HOLD THE BRAKE AND ROMP THE GAS!

2nd, BURNOUTS ARE GAY, anyone that has been around cars, know you can ****ing burnout in a 90 hp car. Its is no sign of power, no one cares, maybe once in a blue moon is cool.

Its like those dip****s who rev and purge over and over in the staging lanes at the track to look cool. Everyone as seen that its not that cool.
Eric:
Having the A4 and 3:08 gears really takes away from the cars low end off the line torque, seriously mine is a slug till the end of 1st then it gets moving!
Before I bought mine I drove a Y87 V6 with the 3:42 gears and it had MUCH more burnout potential then mine! but it felt more slugish where mine starts to pull thats the difference of gearing.

FWD burns out easier, my mom's Jetta even will peal out, wheels are pulling rarther pushing the weight.

And I'll also 2nd the burning out in public is silly, the people I respect most with muscle cars/quick cars dont do that stuff really.

I'd say the suspention/transmition could be an issue for this guy but mine has been like this since I bought it stock with 10,000 miles so I doubt anything too harsh could have happened to mine.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:04 AM

Mine was doing the exact same thing, I seafoamed it and added CAI and I could smoke em all day long... in reverse... but not in drive, it would inch up and the RPMS would slowly climb... It also feels like sometimes the car should be going faster for the amount of pedal I'm giving it, it's not a TREMENDOUS loss of power and the car runs strong still but I can't spin wheels worth a darn!

How much is a transmission mount and how do I replace it? Does it just bolt in as tight as it can go or is there a certain length I need to know about?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:50 AM

I'll check my tranny mount today.. if everything looks ok then where should i go next? have my suspension looked at? how muhc does a new tranny mount run?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:59 PM

A poly tranny mount will cost you ~$25 at the local Autozone.

- Justin
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 PM

I think my car lacking cause my sisters suv seems to have more get up and go off the line. its a ford escape v6 i think it has 200 hp and 197 trq my car should have 200 hp and 225 trq well stock but i have a few mods, but when i drove her car it took off good when i even tapped the gas and i wonder hey my car should have more power and has alot less weight but seems sluggish compared to it.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:38 PM

i mean my car is pretty fast.. but off the line it does seem a little slow, like in my 3.4 i could spin the tires a little at launch.. but with my 3.8 i cant, and i also cant burnout obviously.

How much performance are we talking about if it is indeed my tranny mount?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by brink
i mean my car is pretty fast.. but off the line it does seem a little slow, like in my 3.4 i could spin the tires a little at launch.. but with my 3.8 i cant, and i also cant burnout obviously.

How much performance are we talking about if it is indeed my tranny mount?
dude have u not been reading the posts above? if you throw out something that is needed then its going to be enough performance to cause u to not have as much torque as u need. you could also be expecting way to much from ur 3800, i know i did, thats why i got the LT1
Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 PM

well i expected nothing from my old 3.4.. yet i could burn out in it =)
Old 03-03-2005, 12:04 AM

you know I got to thinking about this tranny mount stuff and why i cant burnout.. and i remembered that when I went to autozone to get the SES light checked on my car..

The first code was about my tranny.. said something about 'auto 4 speed transmission.. ' and if i remember correctly, something about it building up pressure or something? I'm not sure about this.. but i have noticed that when driving in WOT when i near switching to the next gear i can hear almost a whine (not bad sounding) coming from the tranny, but it shoots into gear very quick without any problems, even if i floor it 100 times in a row. The sound it makes almost sounds like its building up pressure and then it just spits it out with the gear change.. (i know its semi normal, but it is a little loud and recognizable to be normal)

The 2nd code was for my Cat. (no o2 sensors, no cat)

Any suggestions?

Last edited by brink; 03-03-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:07 AM

u have an A4? it probably is the tranny, did u get the mount done?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:08 AM

still havent had time to change the mount unfortunitly.. i need to take it off and look to see whats up with it. dont wanna spend money if thats not it.

Quick Reply: Not able to burnout? 3.8L Auto