V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Misfire at WOT, cylinder 1, done a whole lot, HELP ME!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Question Misfire at WOT, cylinder 1, done a whole lot, HELP ME!!!!!!

Hey Guys,

I have a misfire but it's odd, whenever I go WOT 5000 rpms + for more then a second, the engine completely bogs down, I hear an odd noise, almost like the spark or continous crackling, it continues the whole time as the rpms are bouncing off the rev limiter, the car won't shift to the next gear, occurs most frequently if I try to punch it from 70mph. The SES light always flashes but rarely stays stuck on. When it stays on, I get a misfire cyclinder 1 code thrown from it.

I've read just about every misfire thread on here I think, and this all started with a very bad stumble (which is gone now), when one of my ignition coils went bad. I fixed that problem, but the above one remains and in the past 15,000 miles ive replaced:

All 3 Ignition Coils
Wires 2x (shielded and routed from the heat)
spark plugs 2x

PCV, Fuel Filter, Air filter, s-belt (70,000 miles almost and it was frayed)

Out of desperation I even cleaned the fuel injectors, my misfire is occuring on cylinder 1, everytime my SES light has stuck on from the above problem, its a cylinder 1 misfire. When I cleaned the injectors, cylinder 1 was the most fouled up with crap, but I cleaned it all off.

any help would be APPRECIATED, ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Last edited by VirtualDoom; 10-15-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:40 PM

Re: Misfire at WOT, cylinder 1, done a whole lot, HELP ME!!!!!!

Can you get it to do it while the car is sitting or does it have to be in motion under a load to act up like that. Sounds to me like you have a rounded off cam. Pull the valve covers and disconnect the connectors from all the injectors or the connectors to the ICM. Just make it towhere it will not start. And have some one spin the engine over and take a look at the rocker arms and compare all of them and make sure they are all piovting the same ammount. That pop you are hearing is more than likely a backfire, either in the exhaust or intake manifold. Keep me updated and I'll see what I can think of. I have a feeling its not going to be something electrical but rahter something mechanical like a rounded cam or other mechanical failure of somekind.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:45 PM

Re: Misfire at WOT, cylinder 1, done a whole lot, HELP ME!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply,

I can't get it to occur while the car is sitting, only while im driving it. Originally I had thought it was a bad wire, that's why I replaced the wires again, but after replacing them today, it's doing it still, just at WOT 5000+, no stumbles or problems below that, runs great otherwise. It doesn't sound like a backfire, it is a constant crackling type of noise that's extremely loud and the tach just bounces off the rev limiter.

Could it be a valve spring or something similar as well?

Thanks again,

Last edited by VirtualDoom; 10-15-2005 at 04:54 PM.