V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Im getting a turbo 3.4 kit-need help on a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:28 PM

Im getting a turbo 3.4 kit-need help on a few questions

i have a 1995 3.4l camaro . i want a turbo kit like the on Tiago has on his firebird,(turbo, piping , intercooler, bov, wastegate, fuel pump, etc)the engine itself is stock with 138,000 miles.

here goes the questions:

1.Should i rebuild before i buy the kit? if yes should i be ok with more stock internals, or are high pressure valve springs, rods, pistons necessary.(the kit will probably already take all my money so i dont want to have to buy anything i dont need)

2.What needs to be upgraded ? stage 1? 2? clutch, limited slip diff?,motor/tranny mounts? fuel injectors? oil pump?

3.What all is included in the kits available? and what are the costs of the top kits that are out there and the one you guys reccomend most?

4.will i still pass emissions with these kits?

5.should i be ok with stock cam or will an aftermarket one be necessary for big power gains?

6.Will my stock exhaust system(everything stock except flowmaster cat back)work with the kit or will i need new headers?

7.How hard are the kits to install?, i am pretty mechanically inclined and should be able to figure it out but any opinions welcome

Sorry about so many questions, but i am very serious about buying a turbo kit, it is a large investment and i want it to work right, i would like to purchase all necessary parts within the next few weeks and need everyones help on this topic.Everyones responses to this topic will be greatly appreciated.

thx
Old 10-24-2003, 12:42 AM

i dont think i would boost a 138K mile motor but if u wanna do it i think i can answer 4, 6 and 7 for ya.

4) u SHOULD theoretically be able to pass emissions no problem because a turbo uses exhaust gas to move the impellers. If anything ur emissions should be lower.

6) Turbo set-ups use custom headers to scavenge exhaust from the motor and fire it back through the turbo. no stock manifolds here.

7) u may be able to put it in urself but all the people who i know with turbo motors talk about how tempermental they are. u might want to let a pro tune that thing for u to get it to run right.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:01 AM

go to camarov6.com , and do a search..

BTW, the kit isnt out... your gonna have to wait a lil while before it is realeased
Old 10-24-2003, 07:36 AM

humm, the kit IS out, it was released a while back Ive been taking orders
Old 10-24-2003, 07:47 AM

Re: Im getting a turbo 3.4 kit-need help on a few questions

Originally posted by 95camaro3400
i have a 1995 3.4l camaro . i want a turbo kit like the on Tiago has on his firebird,(turbo, piping , intercooler, bov, wastegate, fuel pump, etc)the engine itself is stock with 138,000 miles.

here goes the questions:

1.Should i rebuild before i buy the kit? if yes should i be ok with more stock internals, or are high pressure valve springs, rods, pistons necessary.(the kit will probably already take all my money so i dont want to have to buy anything i dont need)
no I wouldn't rebuild until you ran into problems later down the road. I know a guy that runs 10 lbs of boost on a stock 185,000 mile 3.4 not intercooled. Don't sweat on the miles. Run it until you blow it, then upgrade

2.What needs to be upgraded ? stage 1? 2? clutch, limited slip diff?,motor/tranny mounts? fuel injectors? oil pump?
a stage 2 or stage 3 spec clutch would be fine. I know for a fact the stock one wont like it for very long. It may last a couple months.

Don't worry about motor mounts, or tranny unless u break it, then get a poly mount.

IF you don't plan on going big boost, don't worry about injectors.

Don't touch the oil pump.

3.What all is included in the kits available? and what are the costs of the top kits that are out there and the one you guys reccomend most?
I assume you mean motor rebuild kits? I think for about $2000-$2500 in parts and $1000 in labor if you need it and you can have a bullet proof 3.4L that will take lots of boost for a long time.

4.will i still pass emissions with these kits?
yes, answered above, it should reduce your emissions.

5.should i be ok with stock cam or will an aftermarket one be necessary for big power gains?
I still use the stock cam, don't change it until you rebuild, changing cams on a higher mileage 3.4 always results in rebuilds because the cam bearigns are ****.

6.Will my stock exhaust system(everything stock except flowmaster cat back)work with the kit or will i need new headers?
You dont need to have headers, you can just modify the y pipe to fit the Manifolds if you desire, but I do recommend the RK Sport headers, that is what I run on my car, and what I built the kit with.

7.How hard are the kits to install?, i am pretty mechanically inclined and should be able to figure it out but any opinions welcome
easy
Old 10-24-2003, 12:13 PM

i thought only the 3.8 kit was out, my bad
Old 10-24-2003, 12:37 PM

You don't need limted slip but honestly I think its shodul be the first mod on v6 f-bodies, makes driving alot more fun

Also did you just say you have a stock catback with a flowmaster muffler?

I woudl look into getting an I-pipe, check the local sectiosn for a used lt1 I-pipe, I got an entire stock z28 catback free, just had to pick it up. Its a 2.75 in. I-pipe, just had the exahsut shot fab up a better S-pipe, to hook it up and all was well, only cost liek $90 for the install of Catback, CAT, cutout, and a custom S-pipe with 2 45 degree angel bends instead of 2 90 degree angle bends.

Also I would serioulsy look into a differnet drivesahft get a used lt1 driveshaft is abotu $25, and a lighter ls1 drivesahft is about $100-150.

Both are lighter and stronger then your stock one, and both bolt right in.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 94ZRiCeKiLr
If anything ur emissions should be lower.
Originally Posted by Tiago
yes, answered above, it should reduce your emissions.
Sorry, ive got to chime in here. Turbo's in NO WAY will lower emissions. At all.

No suprises here. If you pull the wastegate actuator rod(s) and aren't making any boost, you will be close to stock emissions, but there are still pumping losses through the turbine and the whole system will act as a restriction.

Turbo power is not free. Contrary to what you may have read/been told, it takes energy on the exhaust stroke to force the combustion gases out into the manifolds. This is what is considered "pumping losses" and comes from an exhaust backpressure of roughly 1.5-2x boost pressure.

This is actually a net LOSS in efficiency. You will burn more fuel per hp created. Keep in mind when you are cramming in all that extra air, it goes hand in hand with extra fuel. This is why the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) is around .6 for turbo cars, and .5 for NA. BSFC is literally the weight of fuel required to make 1 hp for 1 hr.

Will you still pass emissions with a turbo? With a working cat and no boost (wastegates unhooked), the answer is probably. You should be running close to NA power levels and emissions levels.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:16 AM

Doh! did a search and didnt see this thread was almost a year old. sorry all!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by slickrock55
Doh! did a search and didnt see this thread was almost a year old. sorry all!
Nothing wrong with it, alot of us are still around, besides I like old threads I still had a 3.4L when I posted in this last well sort of had a 3.4L
Old 09-14-2004, 12:07 PM

LOL, yeah this is old , crap have thoes people that tiago was taking orders from even gotten their **** yet