V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

I have three problems.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:56 PM

I have three problems.. please help

Hello everyone, please help me with this. I have a 96 Camaro RS with the 3.8 V6. I have several problems that I need to take care of

1. fans not working even after running it for 20min. They don't work with AC on either? The temperature will go up past half way and they still don't work. Both fans were working two weeks ago but now nothing. Where is the fan switch located??? I think this might be the culprit.

2. I have coolant leak somwhere on the driver side of the intake manifold? Coolant collects between the intake and the head but it's hard to see where it's coming from. I checked the oil and there is no sign of water mixing with it, so I don't think it's the head gasket. Is this a common problem for these cars. I know that the newer 3.8 engines had a plastic intake that would crack? But this one doesn't. Is there a coolant line to the throttle body on these cars?? this might be busted.

3. AC compressor doesn't engage? I think it's out of refrigirant oil. Do these cars have a sensor that will prevent the compressor from engaging if the refrigirant pressure is too low??

I have looked into the relays, I switched the relay from the fog lights (which were working) into the compressor slot and into the fan slots and still nothing worked.

thank you for your help. I'm really frustrated.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:32 PM

Re: I have three problems.. please help

1) i dont know of any stock radiator fan switch. check to make sure the fuse isnt blown
2) make sure you know if its the top or bottom intake manifold, these are simple fixes. sounds like the bottom. my car is a 2002 (the last year they made f-bodys) and I dont have a "plastic" intake, I have an aluminum one.
if you can get a pic of the leak that would be great

Last edited by jonathan_abilene; 04-19-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:27 PM

I agree with the above. Check the fuses first. Also if you swapped relays you must make sure its the same relay part number or the headlight relay may not work in the fan relay slot. After those 2 are checked good, then there is a temp sensor, it will have either 2, 3 or 4 wires going to it. You have two temp sensors one for the guage (1 wire) and one that talks to the computer (multi wired) Its the one that talks to the computer that controls the fan. Not sure where this is on your particular car.

3. Yes if your low on refigerant the compressor will not engage.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I got the fans to work today??? I just unplugged the temp sensor and replugged it back in!! I guess some wires were loose?

The AC compressor is not engaging. I will try to recharge the system. I'm pretty sure it's leaking. Anyone know where most likely it will leak from? and if it is leaking. I heard I have to change the canister! is this true??

thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it.