3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Transmission problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Transmission problem.

Hey guys.. English guy here.. forum looks great!

I have a 1987 I-RocZ 5.0TPI. Auto

Everything is standard in it.
It was running great for about 2 months after I bought it, then gradually the gearbox deteriorated.

First off if I was to put my foot down to "give it some" 3/4 of the time it would kick in and make a sweet V8 roar... but every other time it would just rev over and not do anything.

This was the first of the problems..

So stamping my foot down wasn't too much of a problem for me.. tis' all about looks and sounds.. but after this first problem.. a second arose.. that being that when I was driving along in 3rd and it went to change to 4th.. during this breif moment.. the revs went up slowly then dropped, then there was a massive shunt, and it went into 4th, it felt like someone just crashed into the back of me.. it drove ok after that and I thought nothing more of it..

Last of all.. I was reversing out of the drive.. put it into D.. started driving and it didn't change out of 1st until 3500 revs.. and the same for second 3rd and 4th..

So I gave it to a garage who said the clutches were gone.. fixed that and they charged me almost 1750%u00A3. 3000$ in your currency..

They also replaced the torque converter because there was a small gap between something.

So apparently it was all ready to go.. I drove it out of the garage and home.. about a 50 minute drive... no problems on the way home.

So i got it home.. next day same thing happened.. phoned up and all I can say is thank god for warranty!!!

It's back in the garage now.. the said it was the hydraulic valve header / pump for the gearbox?? or something along those lines..

Anyone got any suggestions.. do these problems sound familiar..

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by Misanthrop; 11-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 PM

Re: Transmission problem.

Well your $3000 sounds way to high. But I understand you are not in the U.S. where there are ton's of these cars still around. I had a transmission rebuilt for my firebird formula for $980. But that was the price for me to pull it out, bring it to the trans. shop and for me to put it back in. The trans. shop told me if they did everything it would be around $1500.

My trans came with an 18month/18000 mile warranty.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. Welcome to the forum. Good to have you on board.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Yes parts are very hard to come by over here.. this car over there is probably well practised.. perhaps akin to an old Volkswagen over here.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 AM

lol old VW are hard to come by here as well, unless it's a Beetle.

I've been having problems with my RPM's as well, comes to find out my rear end was completely demolished. Do you know if your mechanic checked out your rear axle?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by CradleofFilth08
lol old VW are hard to come by here as well, unless it's a Beetle.

I've been having problems with my RPM's as well, comes to find out my rear end was completely demolished. Do you know if your mechanic checked out your rear axle?
I doubt it very much.. they are test driving it as I speak.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Misanthrop
I doubt it very much.. they are test driving it as I speak.
Well, if that would be the problem....they'll know soon enough. lol
I know this might be an idiotic question but, which side do you drive on for your Camaro, left or right?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Misanthrop, welcome to the forums.
Sorry to hear you have trouble with your automatic gearbox but that's what you get for owning a Chevy. :-D

If you have a smart mechanic who knows these American crap-o-matics, he might try to replace the valve body first. It would be replaced during a full rebuild anyway and is very easily accessible. And since your shifting problems sound like bad shift timing/control instead of actually the clutch bands slipping in the transmission, the VB itself could fix your problem.

Let us know
Lou
Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Yeh they replaced the valve body (Shift Kit) but it didn't do the job.. they said it was because some oil might be seeping past the valves making it lose pressure and changing late.. no word back yet.

They said they might try and fix the old valve body.

They've been through the timings.. but they can;t get it right because it's not allowing it to shift anyway.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Dang, I was hoping. They are right, it might be the internal hydraulic valves leaking or anything else. At this point, they will just need to pull the fat crap-o-matic and crack it open.
I am crossing my fingers for you that your mechanic knows how to rebuild a 700r4 because they are much more complicated than just a 5-speed manual.

Let us know how it turns out.
Lou
Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 AM

If it's a good reputable shop, then they'll get it done right the 1st time. I know, I have had it done on my car before. Not only that but they built it up for me too. I love it. Good luck brother.