V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

FTRA cold air intake and 160 thermo

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 10:43 PM

Exclamation FTRA cold air intake and 160 thermo

I'm am going to get the Fast Toys cold air induction for my 2001 Firebird, but I head a small downside about it. I heard that it somewhat blcks the air flow to the radiator which in turn will make the car heat up an extra 10 to 15 degrees or so. If this is so or not I am wanting to buy a 160 thermostat, but I also heard that a 160 thermo will throw the cpu into open loop mode. Wheter these accusations are true or false someon in here let a brothat know. Alos any comments or suggestions will be helpful , thanx.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:58 PM

People running the FTRA system down here in Texas where it can reach a heat index of 120+ degrees, have had no problems overheating a stock LS1 or V6 soley because of the FTRA even with A/C on and idling in traffic. The cooling system on the Camaro is a pretty trick set up.

Now idling in traffic where you can build up heat. There is no air current being forced into the high pressure area for the radiator...because you are stopped. So the FTRA system won't be blocking air that isn't being forced in there.

When you are traveling at high speed, the air will be a cooler charge and with the forced air being drawn into the radiator it will cool the engine sufficiently. Despite the FTRA system being located in the same area. It's not actually 'blocking' the radiator as much as it looks like it does. Blocking it would actually mean the FTRA kit is touching the radiator so that there is no air between the two metal bodies. Which is not the case.

You can change the thermostat if you wish, but you should be fine without it. Especially when the stock electric fan kicks on. You could even 1-up yourself and get a plug in switch to manually operate your cooling fan(s), if you feel the engine is getting to hot. But 210 really isn't much for the new 3800 or LS1. In fact the 'Vette is actually programmed to run at 215 or 220!!!

Just make sure your thermostat is in good working condition, and that your radiator fluid level is up to par and its in good clean condition. Chances are, unless you live in the desert of Arizona or around here in South Texas, I wouldn't even consider overheating with the FTRA.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:21 PM

i live in south texas, (corpus) and i just got my kit. well i have problems then? i have just got it and it has been pretty cold down here but in the summer it does heat up. would it be better to go to the 160 thermo? thanks
Old 01-12-2003, 01:52 PM

Well, it's like a lot of things, there is a lot of hype going around about the 160 thermostat, and they only gain you power when the timing is bumped up. An engine will actually make more power at 200 to 210! But, most people don't need to, or should run that much temperature because if not watched you could destroy the motor.

I would suggest making sure your cooling system is clean and topped off. Making sure the radiator cap has the correct amount of pressure. And if you think you must swap. First try it out. If you do see a significant rise in temperature that you feel dictates swapping thermostats. Go for a 185 first or 180. (I believe stock is 195)

If that don't cut it then go ahead and put in a 160 degree. But I really don't think you'll need it. Especially right now with this weather we are having. I wouldn't make any changes until the summer when you have a chance to really see what it will behave like when the hot hits the fan