V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Decided to biuld the V6 with a Stroker...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 08:50 PM

Decided to biuld the V6 with a Stroker...

Mainly for the fact that it can be powerfull and UNIQUE because I havn't seen many if any around.

I was thinking this... Stroke it to a 4.1L V6, mild cam, heads, intake/exhaust manifolds some better internals (springs, roller rockers, pushrods, lifters, ect..) All your breathers, better PCM... With all of that do you think I MIGHT need a bigger throttle body?... I kind of DOUBT it but I was just curious. Top that off with a Stall Converter, A one piece aluminum drive shaft, corvette servo shift kit and I should be rolling PRETTY good ESPECIALLY since I already have 3:42's...

Now the question...

Where can I get a stroker kit?
What mods (cam, heads, any other goodies I'll need to complete this project.) should I go for? Links would be good...

I'm dead broke so don't expect this to soon, Best planning time is mopping time!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:35 PM

Re: Decided to biuld the V6 with a Stroker...

www.zzperformance.com has a 4.1 stroker kit for sale. It's kinda pricey with not much gain, and the machined crank won't support much power.

About the whole unique thing: Always remember, you're unique.... JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:46 AM

Any stronger stroker kits out there that can hold atleast 450 HP? I'm not saying I'm ganna push it to that... but... just incase...
Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 AM

That ZZP stroker is the only one i'm aware of.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Any stronger stroker kits out there that can hold atleast 450 HP? I'm not saying I'm ganna push it to that... but... just incase...
If you are dead set on building a naturally aspirated V6, consider leaving the displacement alone and building it to rev.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If you are dead set on building a naturally aspirated V6, consider leaving the displacement alone and building it to rev.
like heads and cam? Any other things I should look into besides your breathers? Should I do a rebiuld and internals?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 AM

for what its going to cost you to stroke your 3.8, there are much much much better options for your dollar/hp ratio unless you dont mind spending a ton of money just to be unique.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
like heads and cam? Any other things I should look into besides your breathers? Should I do a rebiuld and internals?
I believe Zoomer has reved to 7K on the stock valvetrain, but that probably isn't the best idea.

I'm not exactly an expert, so someone correct this if they know it is wrong. I think the first issue that would come up would be valve float. You would need some stiffer springs. The rest of the valvetrain would need to be replaced (cam, hydraulic lifters, roller rockers, pushrods). Cam should go without saying as the stock cam is not very good for anything over 5000rpm.

After that I am not sure where the weak link would be. Possibly connecting rods or wrist pins. The limit for these components may be high enough that it doesn't matter. Pistons would be nice if you wanted to bump compression. It is entirely possible to get into the 13's/12's NA without building the bottom end.

I would talk to Zoomer from ZZPerformance if you are serious. Or drop by the link in my sig and talk to some of the NA Fbody, Wbody or Holden guys.

EDIT: Forgot about better heads. And eventually if you make enough power you may need more fuel.

Also there will be another stroker kit option in the near future from
http://www.comeracing.com/

EDIT2: The engine is not balanced well enough to rev past 6500RPM, so that is the next problem after the valvetrain.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 03-10-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:08 PM

I would stick with a rebuild, higher compression pistons (think 11:1ish), fully ported/polished heads and intake, cam, rockers, springs. Make sure you get some tuning software and learn how to use it. There seems to be lots of support out there for both DHP and HPTuners.

You will also have to spend some time freshening up that tranny, and 3.73's or 4.10's would really wake that car up as well.

- Justin