V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Car making a weird sound again

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 09:20 PM

Car making a weird sound again

Riding around tonight and my car just starts making this sound whenever the weight of the car has to shift backwards (when accelerating, when the weight shifts backwards, thats when it does it) and it sounds like something is rubbing. The noise sounds like metal scraping the ground (although this isnt it, thats just the best description i can come up with) It is comming from the front of the car around the engine somewhere, I cant figure out where. What do you guys think it is? I guess I will be taking it back to the dealership again monday.............thanks
Old 04-27-2003, 12:33 PM

sounds like the suspension settling, or sway bar bushings.....or it could be the infamous "underware gnomes" again.....hehe
Old 04-27-2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by kahouna23
or it could be the infamous "underware gnomes" again.....hehe

Little bastards.... I'm pretty sure those are almost standard equipment on Fbods...

Though, so far my car has been very good. 60 k miles almost, and an acident and its still very squeek free.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:48 PM

Was your car at the shop recently, if so its most likely the suspension returning to its happy state. It could be this even if your car wasnt at the shop
Old 04-28-2003, 06:01 PM

I went up to the dealership today and let the technician listen to it and he said it sounded a lot like the heat shield for the exhaust. I gotta take it back up there tomorrow to get serviced. Ill post tomorrow the results.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:42 PM

wow....
took it up there today, and they lifted it and didnt see anything wrong with the exhaust anywhere.....further analysis proved that it sounded like the flywheel was making the noise, or something in that area. So they said I could "roll the dice" and let them take it apart and see what it was, and hope that it was something covered by my warranty. If it wasnt something covered by my warranty, I would have to pay them like 130$ just for taking everything apart to see if my warranty covered it. Well I decided it needed to be fixed regardless (after about 30 min of debating with myself) and I let them start lookin to see what it was. Sure enough, I need a new flywheel. The car ran good though, I would have never expected that. Luckily my warranty that I paid 3000$ for covers it. Should have my car back by thursday afternoon. (Had to order the part)

...now I see why my parents made me buy that warranty. I guess the old saying is true.....parents know best!
Old 05-06-2003, 03:41 PM

Well how about this fellas.....
It took them a week to get the part in. They finally got it yesterday afternoon. They told me my car would be finished today. Well I go up there after school, and its on the lift, and the transmission is out of it (man that thing looked almost brand new!) and he told me it would be another hour or so. So I just decide to go talk to a sales person I know and check out some new cars (the Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo is AWESOME)

Well about an hour later, the guy tells me that the flywheel wasnt cracked, and they didnt know what was making the noise. So I catch a ride from a girl I know and ride around a little while. Call them back and it turns out that the starter was mesing up or something and was hitting something up there (not really sure what he said, I was too pissed) and that they fixed it but wont let me have it untill tomorrow so they can test drive it and make sure it dont mess up.

So I have been without my Camaro for over a week now. I really dont feel like paying the 50$ deductible, Im gonna try and get my way out of it, since it took them so damn long. Well, thats what it is. Sorry this post is so long....Im at my moms office and im bored out of my mind.