V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 AM

A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley Belt?

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for an A/C compressor bypass pulley belt. Not the A/C compressor bypass part but the actual belt itself.

It seems that even the 3.4 Camaro came standard with A/C so I'm not sure if they make a shorter belt to just reroute around the A/C compressor.

If they do, does anyone by chance have the part number or know where to find this part? Right now I'm looking at O Reily's and they don't seem to have a belt for non A/C?

Am I just going to have to take the hit on the cost and just buy a new bypass pulley or is there any way around it? The car is chiming really loudly so I pulled the belt off and spun the compressor while the car was off. That's the problem for sure. Alternator tested fine. Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Re: A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley Belt?

BUMP. No replies? Can anyone at all help? If there is no pulley belt (after doing some research it doesn't seem like there is) would anyone have instructions with pictures on how to remove the part?

This way I could just slap on the bypass pulley. The auto store only wants $35 for the part, so it's in the budget.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Administrator

This forum is slow. The 3.4L is probably the least numerous 4th Gen. Hard to get replies. I can't make any excuses for lack of traffic other than that. The LT1 forum is the busiest, and really the only one where people are sure to get an answer any more.

An alternative to posting on "V6 Tech" would be to post on "General 67-02 F-Body Tech".... at least a decent number of people still use that forum.

I would also suggest that you add a "signature" with basic info about your car - year, model, engine, trans and any major modifications. That info helps people help you.

Looking at the 93 shop manual, the routing of the belt, with the belt tensioner pulling the belt upwards to tighten it, between the crank pulley and the A/C compressor would seem to preclude rerouting the belt to avoid the A/C compressor. The shop manual shows that there is an alternate "idler pulley" available in place of the A/C compressor. Finding the idler pulley would seem to be the best approach. Usually, the pulley is dimensioned to allow the same belt to be used with anhd without A/C.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Injuneer! Yah, I will be sure to use that side of the forum from now on because people don't really seem to post around here too much anymore I see. Now I get that...lol.

Anyways, yes that's the exact pulley I'm talking about. It's considered a "bypass pulley" and allows to use the same belt but works like a dummy pulley, not allowing A/C. I do want to install it but am having trouble taking the original part off. Any instructions on how to do it???
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Administrator

I'm familiar with the A/C delete pulley. On the LT1 cars, the 1LE option models did not have A/C, so I ordered the pulley for that option. The compressor bolts on the LT1 are tricky to access with the engine in the car. But my engine was out of the car for a stroker rebuild, and removing everything except the evaporator was relatively easy.

I can give you a link to a free download of a 1993 factory service manual if you are interested.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Yes, please. I would be more than glad to use the service manual for my car.

It's a lot cheaper than going out and buying a Chilton's manual anyway, haha.