V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

99 Camaro random misfire code

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 AM

99 Camaro random misfire code

I have a 99 Camaro v6 I am getting a misfire when it rains really hard . Voltage gauge drops in the red when u put it in gear . While im driving when it acts up my check engine light blinks . Put it on computer random misfire comes up . Seems to me like somthing is drawing moisture . I was wondering if any one has had this problem or has any suggestions on what it could possibly be .
Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 AM

ICM Getting wet? Alternator? any bare wires, id check for that first check all grounds also

Don
Old 08-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Don thanks for replying We checked for bare wire s Altenator reads fine , Grounds are finr to . We also used a spray bottle and sprayed the ICM and different censors while car was idling on a lift, idled fine no change . But miss got worse when i took it for a test drive . Kinda stumped on ideas we got it narrowed down that somthing is drawing moisture and we are also starting to think we might have two seperate problems interacting .
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Is there any corrision (i think its misspelled but water and electric makes it lol) on the coilpacks, around the lead on top where the plug wire goes or hairline cracks in them? (where moisture could seep in?) or if u take the coilpacks odd the ecm any corosion on the insert tabs? does it miss in humid weather? or just the rain?

also moving on id also check the cam positon sensor and all ignition sensor plugs for corrosion.

all this passes id look @ the fuel system

if you have a fuel inj. probe id check them in the rain and see if any are missfireing, trace the fuel pump wiring make shure there is no bare spots that mosture could ground out and the wiring conectiors/retaining clips on them

also sounds like a long shot but any vent hoses cracked from fuel tank that could suck water in, since water doesnt burn, i know it sounds farce but im just thinking or can u smell gas under the car, if not this last idea is prolly ruled out

any cracked vacuum lines on the intake hoses that could suck moisture in and mix gas with it

is the voltage drops something has to be grounding out, since water can be a conductor, or is the idel droping so bad that it drops how far does it drop, far enough to cut power to the IGN system so the icm/coilpacks are not getting enough power?

Don

try to look @ your evedince, and find a solution, as my old boss said, you have to be a Detective with problems like this, it may be something as simple as a bare wire or bad as an intake leak, but i highly doubt that. if i can be of any more help lemme know!

Last edited by Don350k; 08-28-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 AM

I think we have finally found the problem i sprayed the plastic gaurd that the winsheild wipers sit on with a garden hose and notice that water that is going thought the vents is dripping on the coils and computer so we put a new piece of automobile weather stripping in place of the old one and new plastice srews we think this might solve everything hopefully just waiting for some hard rain . Thanks again Don for your advice it help us get start on the trouble shooting .
Jeff