V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

96 3800V6 with 120k weird Oil Pressure... Goes to 0 At idle sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:58 PM

96 3800V6 with 120k weird Oil Pressure... Goes to 0 At idle sometimes...

Ok I bought this car for my wife as she wanted a Manual camaro but better gas mileage then I got since she drives more for her work.

Well everythig was fine, nice and smooth. I had to drive it 150 miles to get it home (Finding a 3800 V6 Manual in any F-Body was not happening near me) and I put in some fuel system cleaner just o get started on the maintance so I knew where the car was at.

Anyway I did not get to do the rest of the maintance right away before letting her drive it for a day. Nothing major just to get some minor items, get it registered and out to eat... well the car seemed to lose all its power and I could swear I kept hearing a train.. then I started to hear a tick... yes weird.

Anyway the tick seems to be the middle fuel injector on the Drivers side (I am not familure with cyc #'s on this car yet but I think thats #4...) I thought it was a Lifter tick but it def seems to be that injector.

I went ahead and did almost all the maintance (It started to rain) the plugs, wires, oil flush and change and the fuel filter which showed me I was right in thinking that noise was the fuel pump (The noise I as well as someone else thought was a train we happened to be close to ) as the fuel filter was dumping out nothing but black fuel... nice.

Fast forward 3 days and things seem fine. I am planning on finishing the tranny drain and fill and the same for the Dif so I know where everything is at for my personal records and maintance sch. I took the car out to see how the tick was and it seemed to be gone... I got the tranny fluid and dif fluid and on the way back I wanted to see what it was like compared to my built LT4 just for fun... it broke the tires loose well way to go lol.

But thats when I saw something new... the Check Gauges light was on. (I had stopped in front of the house when it came on) I looked and the Oil PSI said 0. I shut the car off (I could also hear the tick was back) and checked the oil etc and everything is good there are not oil leaks as I had already checked for.

I started it and it had Pressure... now I had noticed the pressure seems to shoot all over, up down etc... and it holds pressure but if I floored it quickly then let off it goes to 0... but then back up when I hit the gas... the ticking comes and goes too now it seems and its still up top and using the scope again still appears to be in the injector mainly.

I have read using google that these motors have HORRIBLE stories for this. Some are easy pressure sending units changed... others the rod Bearings... But no complete answers.

Basically when I got the car I noticed the PSI compared to my LT4 was a hell of a lot higher... and it got lower at idle too then my LT4... however it seemed fine. Then when the tick started I did my usual ok everything needs to be perfect again OCD as my wife will be driving this.

Anyone with any experiance what do you think... I gave a lot of info and I am sure half oif it was useless since I go into to much detail but is the oil sending unit common? This motor does not have that many miles that I think its the rod bearings and frankly I felt the 3800 was a good solid motor. I have seen them at much higher Mileage lvls.

Thanks!