V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

'90 FB 3.1 Questions

Old 10-02-2002, 12:08 PM

Question '90 FB 3.1 Questions

We have around 110,000 miles on her 90 fb that's an auto.
Just wondering if there is a recommended interval for changing the timing chain?
is it a pain in the butt to do?

also, not sure but i think the oil pump is going bad.
sometimes the pressure gauge drops down to near zero, never did that before. not sure if the gauge is flakey now or the pump could be going.
the valves have the usual 60degree V6 tick to them.
been good with Mobil1 oil changes, and basically runs in good condition, for a 12 year old daily driver. she doesn't want to give it up just yet, until she grads from school, then when she becomes a Physician, wants me to make it a race car for her.

Is the oil pump easy to change in this car, or typical to be replaced around this mileage?

my other thought was just run the car till the motor goes, but then again i dont want her stranded.

anyone have experience with the T chain or Oil pump?
about how long do the typical 60 degree V6's last?
i know that is subjectable.

thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 01:23 PM

I had an 85 2.8L that I shattered a piston at 120k, I think it was do to me over reving it.

The oil pump I never actually changed it but I tore apart my 2.8L motor to see what happened. Either way I was bale to put down some boards, and "jack" the fornt of the motor up after I disconnected the motor mounts, and transmission mount, and I disconnected the y-pipe form the manifolds, and ended up having enough room to get hte oil pan out with some persuasian. the actually oil pump is like 3-4 bolts very simple, jsut need to get the oil pan off.

as for the timing chain mine was fine at 120k, and my 3.4L runs like a chamnp at 119k.

For the ticking, if you can get the valve covers off without removing too much stuff, you cna jsut adjsut hte rockers, very simple, just back them up, tigheten them in a specific order, and I got rid of my tick, hard part ws getting the whole fuel injection system off my 94 camaro.

As for how long they last? my 85 died at 120,000.4. My 94 has 119k.

I met a lady with a 84 2.8L with 225k and the internals were original but she was getting a rebuild even though the car was running fine.

But a common thing i have heard alot has been 150k-175k.

I made a post in the lounge about gm 60* v6s, and alot of peopel posted there mileage on there different FWD and RWD cars, to help give you an idea.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:16 AM

thanks for the info.

i wasn't sure if there was some magical period to replace the T-chain, like the 4bangers we get at the shop for timing belts.
first thing i'll do is change the oil and filter just incase something went south with the oil filter.
beside isn't the fuel pump set to turn off if there is no fuel pressure? some EFI systems are like that. again it could be a flakey gauge.
i've never adjusted the valves.
would be neat if poly locks were available.
i guess i can adjust them like a SBC? turn lossen till the clack, then tighten 'em down till the noise goes away? or being no poly locks, it's probably a flat torque setting.

i havent had the car on the lift in a while, and it does need some general overlooking and adjustments. i'll see what happens this weekend.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:46 AM

mine went at a 130K.. Now the car with the new coyles double roller chain runs like it has never did before.. WOW what a difference just a chain will make.. Do IT ASAP.. It is worth the gain in performance itself.

www.geocities.com/overlift
Old 10-03-2002, 12:13 PM

Former...
is that your website?
nicely done
i didn't realize parts were out there for the 60 degree motors
all i have done now is advanced the timing, shift improver in the tranny, MSD 6a, and K&N air filter.
i didn't get a cold air kit, cause i didnt think they were made. do they make them for this 90 fb?

i think i'll do the chain shortly, although i think using a cloyes is over killer for her needs.

i thought comp cams had roller tip rockers for the 60 degree
anyone know for sure
BTW:
did you put those crane roller rockers on?
did they fit with the stock vlave covers?
i've thought about getting her the hyper tech chip, but i really want to keep it running on 87 octane.
thanks for the info, appreciated.

the timing advance really woke it up.
plus i also have the hyper tech power pulleys, i like using them on long trips, really improved the gas mileage, and added some pep, but idle got a little erratic cause of the lower idle voltage output (amps, lites,ac, etc..)
Old 10-03-2002, 12:14 PM

Former...
is that your website?
nicely done
i didn't realize parts were out there for the 60 degree motors
all i have done now is advanced the timing, shift improver in the tranny, MSD 6a, flowmaster muffler, and K&N air filter.
i didn't get a cold air kit, cause i didnt think they were made. do they make them for this 90 fb?

i think i'll do the chain shortly, although i think using a cloyes is over killer for her needs.

i thought comp cams had roller tip rockers for the 60 degree
anyone know for sure
BTW:
did you put those crane roller rockers on?
did they fit with the stock vlave covers?
i've thought about getting her the hyper tech chip, but i really want to keep it running on 87 octane.
thanks for the info, appreciated.

the timing advance really woke it up.
plus i also have the hyper tech power pulleys, i like using them on long trips, really improved the gas mileage, and added some pep, but idle got a little erratic cause of the lower idle voltage output (amps, lites,ac, etc..)
Old 10-04-2002, 11:05 AM

I still have her. Check out:

http://www.geocities.com/overlift/wreck.html

The Coyle’s is like 69.99 from summit.. Stock is like 45.00 I hear.. So for a couple of bucks more you get a real nice double roller. I couldn't resist.

I made my own cold air kit.. Check out this link:

http://www.geocities.com/overlift/Dcp02084.jpg

There are a ton of things you can do.. Check out thirdgen.org and visit the V6 section.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:10 AM

http://www.geocities.com/overlift/Dcp02082.jpg

Also a pic of the interior dirty.. But it has 4th gen seats, Hurst Dual Gate Shifter

Here is another cool Pic:

http://www.geocities.com/overlift/Dcp02087.jpg

battery in the trunk and messy wiring fomr the 4th gen seats which are POWER...

Here is the best pic:
http://www.geocities.com/overlift/Dcp02085.jpg

Accel Ignition box, Accel Wires, Now I have Crane Fire Wires and the plenum is powder coated.. I would love a sheet metal intake made up to flow 750 CFM...
Old 10-04-2002, 03:18 PM

nice documented webpage there
looks like you had/have your work cut out
keep it up.

i just cleaned the heck out of her car and it looks better, it just needs a little time, and minor tweaking, havent touched anything on it for over 4 years
not bad.

i did have power stop brake rotors on it, it really helped with more bite for braking
may bet them again, although this time with better brake pads.
i need new rims, the stock cast aluminums keep leaking air
i'll keep you posted on the oil situation. but it will take me some time, first step is put a mechanical gauge on it, then see what happens, could be the sending unit.
i do need a GM fuel injection cleaning kit, the one at the shop has a broken shrader valve so i can use it, doesnt take in the cleaner from the can.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:54 AM

Well here is an update to the oil pressure problem.
it was the sending unit <yippeeeee>
changed the oil and noticed a wet oil filter, pull the old one out, installed a new one, good as new.
did the front brakes over too, and some other little odds and ends

Glad that was the issue
also changed the T stat and antifreeze too.
now i just need to front rims to replace the leaky ones.
off well