V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

$70 Electric SuperCharger??? Do these work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 AM

$70 Electric SuperCharger??? Do these work?

Have you all ever checked these out??
Do they work?? Are they worth it? It sounds like an awesome idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elect...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Banned

Waste of money. They most likely impede more airflow than they create. I highly doubt they spin quickly enough to provide any advantage and are most likely more of a burden on you air intake system than anything else.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:06 AM

I'm thinking about hooking 2 of them up to a y-pipe, do you think 6 amps is toom much for the alternator?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 AM

actually I just did the math for a 3.8L. say at 2000 RPM, that equals 3.8Lx2000 = 7600 liters/minute, which equal 4.5 cubic feet/second.
this electic supercharger puts out 275 CFM which equal 4.5 cubic feet second.

so your right, it only helps you up to 2000 rpm then it just gets in the way.

but what if I hook up 2? Then it should help up to 4000 RPM's... but is 6 amps too much for the alternator? Or maybe I should just hook up 2 filters so it doesn't cause any retriction, say keep the stock filter & hook this up to a y-pipe?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 AM

6 amps should be nothing to the alternator since the windows alone have a 20 amp fuse, but that probably mean this thing has no power.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM

I'm going to do it, I'm going to hook 2 of those bad boys up to a y-pipe. I'll try to get a 4 way pipe and leave the stock filter hooked up to so it doesn't impeade the flow any. Twin Super Chargers!!!! This is going to be Stupid Cool!!

Last edited by Evolution223; 01-15-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM

actually I guess I shouldn't hook up the factory filter because then any boost will just leak out though it. Just 2 of these to a y-pipe directly into the intake then.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:23 PM

wow thats alot of thot , id jus say screw it and do it, and if u blow something let us know as a warning,..thanx bro take one for the team evo!!!woo hoo~!!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:56 PM

this one will work just needs some work to fit it up.
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=410&catid=109
Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BC2002SS
this one will work just needs some work to fit it up.
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=410&catid=109
wow, I didn't know that was out there. I'm not ready to spend that kind of money yet though.

What has everybody concluded when it comes to installing a supercharger from a newer montecarlo SS or one of those pontiacs? Does that work for an extra 40 HP??
Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator

You seem to have established that the electric fan will flow 275 cfm. But that number is meaningless, unless it is accompanied by a stated boost pressure. I'ts likely that the fan will flow 275 cfm, but its also likely that at that flow, it will be producing boost that is on the order of a few inches of water. One psi = 27.7"H2O. A few inches of water won't even give you that much boost.

Note also that when you use a fan, the inefficiency of the fan is converted into heat (heat of compression). Increasing the air temperature reduces the density of the air, working against the increase in pressure. Maybe you ought to see if they sell an intercooled option.

Then there's the matter of where the power to drive the electric motor comes from. It comes from the alternator, and increasing the amps on the alternator increases the power the alternator pulls from the engine/serpentine belt to drive the alternator. Then there's the effect of added weight, which will reduce performance.

Might want to do ALL the calculations before you jump to the conclusion that one of those fans will produce any power at all. To help you, to determine the actual air consumption of the engine, you multiply the displacement of the engine by 1/2 the RPM, since the engine is a 4-stroke design, and requires two full revolutions of the crank to completely fill, compress, combust and exhaust the cylinder.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM

One would be a waste but 2 of these I think will be the best HP for the dollar mod in history.

The set-up I'm hoping will sort of be like a cold air intake so the temp rise shouldn't be as much. Besides I believe my car is actually performing worse in the cold winter air as I'm getting less mpg, so I'm not really worried about that.

I don't understand why people are always concerned with load on the alternator, the alternators mechanical load always stays the same, the variation comes in the electrical enengy where energy unused by the engine goes towards charging the battery, so all that's going to happen is there will be less energy charing my battery. there is no mechanical difference and no mechanical power loss.

Thanks for the tip on the air calculation, I was thinking one revolution of the crank equaled the displacement, I guess this should give me 2-3 psi boost to redline then and then 2 of these would even work for a v8 if you could fit them under the hood, iguess you could mount them right behind the radiator or something?

this is going to be freakin cool.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

What good is a fan that can deliver volume, but not boost? An efficient centrifugal supercharger pulls up to 5HP off the nose of the crank for every PSI of boost that it makes. How much boost do you think you can make with a cheap ventilation fan, pulling (so you claim) 6 amps? 6 amps x 12 volts = 72 watts = 0.10 HP to drive the fan. It will not make 2 -3 psi at 245cfm. Look at the "negative" feedback on that site.... the negative feedback comments all note that the unit is a piece of poo, and will not make boost. What part of this do you not understand?

Freakin cool......? No.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What good is a fan that can deliver volume, but not boost? An efficient centrifugal supercharger pulls up to 5HP off the nose of the crank for every PSI of boost that it makes. How much boost do you think you can make with a cheap ventilation fan, pulling (so you claim) 6 amps? 6 amps x 12 volts = 72 watts = 0.10 HP to drive the fan. It will not make 2 -3 psi at 245cfm. Look at the "negative" feedback on that site.... the negative feedback comments all note that the unit is a piece of poo, and will not make boost. What part of this do you not understand?

Freakin cool......? No.
ummm, okay 2 people said it didn't work, so what, about 2000 other people on there said it does.

Why do you think you need a $4,000 piece of equipment to create 2-3 psi? Most people can make that much with their mouth, it's not hard and 2 of these will do the same thing. What part of this don't you understand? Do you think every application in engineering that requires 2-3 psi requires a $4k piece of equipment? Somebody has found a cheaper way to do the same thing.

if fact if you think about it using a combustion engine to create boost is very ineffcient because you need such a high speed to create the needed volume in a small package which is why they are so expensive for the high speed technology and precision parts, but electric motors are small, inexpensive and are easily capable of those high speed needed so it makes more sense. yes a mechanical pump will create more boost but who cares, this is 1/40 of the price and creating 1/2-1/3 the boost!!!

Last edited by Evolution223; 01-17-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Kaj

Um...it's a piece of crap. lol

Quick Reply: $70 Electric SuperCharger??? Do these work?