Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Is it really this easy.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:19 PM

Is it really this easy.

Since I have started to add some visual mods to the car, nothing fancy just some tint and wheels, I am always being challenged at stop lights. I have yet to mod the car with any performance mods,in fact when I got it it appeared the previous owner swapped out the original catback of the z28 with a flowmaster in which I read in some forums actually restricts more and loses performance. Whether its true or not I don't really care since I will be replacing it in the future.

Anyway,I am no way an expert in racing since I have never been to the track, but sometimes I cannot stand it and have to take them on. usually its when I am on a stretch of road with a series of lights where we seem to be hitting every red light. Once the so called challange is on, I usually have cleared them by third gear and will actually hold back since I don't want to be hitting too high of a speed on regular roads. I am no way at full throttle.

Now I am not being challenged at all by other f-bodies, in fact I feel we all have sort of a kinship. In fact, I am neither being challenged by any mustangs either. Its always someone in a decked out truck, 350z owners, civics etc. Mainly foreign cars. I did get challenged by a decked out humvee once. I say decked out since its only apparent they have visual mods and I have no clue what they have underneath the hood. I am never the challenger in all these cases, I just at times get annoyed and at the next light or so give them a show. I never hit speeds higher then 65-70, since we are on regular roads and I have them by one or two car lengths so its way obvious they cannot catch up and I just cut back. I haven't lost and I have had about 6 or so of these in the past 6 months.

I know if I am ever pitted against another f-body at the track, I will probably get smoked pretty bad since I have yet to gain any experience on the track. But its these little small challenges that make me love this car so much. It has still been less then a year since I ve had this car, so I am sure these challenges will get old. or maybe not. Maybe this is a sign that I should hit the track for some real challenges.

Is it just this area in Georgia or does these people in these non muscle cars feel they have to prove their car out on the road?

By the way, I am not condoning racing on public streets. If I am ever nose to nose at around 65, I will cut back since it is not that important to me to win.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:51 PM

It's like they say on Family Guy - "If you make eye contact with the guy next to you, ya gotta race him. I didn't make the rules."

Even though I'm long tired of the never-will-be-a-challenge cars that constantly rev at me, I'm not opposed to dishing out some "redlight justice" to more appropriate cars if they're also interested in a quick run.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:15 PM

Thumbs up

Good Kill
Old 06-03-2004, 08:48 PM

It is really that easy on the public streets unless you run across a crotch rocket, exotic car or built up car. Then it's decimation time. The track will have plenty of challenging races for you.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by John M
It's like they say on Family Guy - "If you make eye contact with the guy next to you, ya gotta race him. I didn't make the rules."

Even though I'm long tired of the never-will-be-a-challenge cars that constantly rev at me, I'm not opposed to dishing out some "redlight justice" to more appropriate cars if they're also interested in a quick run.
Haha....that Family Guy was just on today, lol
Old 06-05-2004, 01:13 AM

I’ve seen that episode, and it’s so true. You just feel compelled to do so; meanwhile you’re scanning for cops and other cars that may get in your way and planning for the kill.

My favorite challenge had to be the Hummer. I was thinking, “This guys insane, this Hummer has to weigh twice as much as me” I was like, what the heck. I am not even going to have to hit 4th gear before I clear this guy.

Eventually I will find my way to the track. It is probably the only way to see some real challenges. I would love to open up the Camaro on an open track. Not like I haven’t out on the interstate.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Rolandolpz
I’ve seen that episode, and it’s so true. You just feel compelled to do so; meanwhile you’re scanning for cops and other cars that may get in your way and planning for the kill.

My favorite challenge had to be the Hummer. I was thinking, “This guys insane, this Hummer has to weigh twice as much as me” I was like, what the heck. I am not even going to have to hit 4th gear before I clear this guy.

Eventually I will find my way to the track. It is probably the only way to see some real challenges. I would love to open up the Camaro on an open track. Not like I haven’t out on the interstate.
That Hummer guy was clueless!

Don't get too cocky, you will get spanked bad sooner or later on the streets and will have your hands full at the track. Heck, I bet I could give you a good run at the track if you showed up bone stock like that.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Steve Y
That Hummer guy was clueless!

Don't get too cocky, you will get spanked bad sooner or later on the streets and will have your hands full at the track. Heck, I bet I could give you a good run at the track if you showed up bone stock like that.
Sorry but that 6spd LS1 would pull you extremely hard mid/ up top...wouldnt even be close....stock he probably has close to 100 more rwhp then you...so how do you figure . Not starting any drama and not ******* GT's I like em cept for being underpowered, just thinking realistically...you could have every bolt on your GT and it still wouldnt even be close w/ a stock LS1 6spd...driven properly ofcourse....
Old 06-05-2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Antz97ZNJ
Sorry but that 6spd LS1 would pull you extremely hard mid/ up top...wouldnt even be close....stock he probably has close to 100 more rwhp then you...so how do you figure . Not starting any drama and not ******* GT's I like em cept for being underpowered, just thinking realistically...you could have every bolt on your GT and it still wouldnt even be close w/ a stock LS1 6spd...driven properly ofcourse....
I know the LS1 would win from a roll start or a highway punch. I am talking about a bone stock LS1 vs. me in the 1/4 mile. Most of the time I bet it would be a very close race. Stock Stangs like mine have about 230 rwhp. Mine probably has about 250 rwhp and is 200 lbs. ligher than stock with great tires for traction. Your average stock LS1 has about 300 rwhp, so I am at a 50 rwhp disadvantage, a 350 lb. weight advantage (if the LS1 is a 6-speed hardtop, better yet for me if it is an auto. vert.) a gearing advantage in 1st and 2nd gears and a major traction advantage. The track I race at has a concrete launch pad with a lot of rubber on it. I usually pull street tired cars by 3-5 carlengths out of the hole and most of them can't catch up by the end. In the 1/4 mile I bet it would be very close most of the time. Anybody have a bone stock LS1 that want's to run me and find out on June 25 at the www.reno-fernleyraceway.com track? I will be there at 7 p.m. anyway, racing. We will settle this for Antz if there are any takers.

Last edited by Steve Y; 06-05-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:16 AM

Dude look at it anyway you want, Most 6spd SS's especially 02's are dyno'ing in the 320's bone stock or pretty close....That weight/gearing thing you can throw out the window...Guess thats why we have Most 01-02 LS1's 6spd crossing the quarter mile markers anywhere from 107-109 Bone stock and running way deep into the 13's, You car is good for high/ maybe mid 13's at best. Speaking of not getting to cocky I wouldnt be calling out LS1's if I was cutting 2.2 60's barely running 100 mph through the traps.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Banned

Dude look at it anyway you want, Most 6spd SS's especially 02's are dyno'ing in the 320's bone stock or pretty close....That weight/gearing thing you can throw out the window...Guess thats why we have Most 01-02 LS1's 6spd crossing the quarter mile markers anywhere from 107-109 Bone stock and running way deep into the 13's, You car is good for high/ maybe mid 13's at best. Speaking of not getting to cocky I wouldnt be calling out LS1's if I was cutting 2.2 60's barely running 100 mph through the traps.
Dude, you dont have clue what your talking about, so shut up.
Full exhaust,gears, and some springs an your mid 12's @105-an up in a GT, and that's not 'ALL' of the bolt ons.
Get a clue.
FWIW, im not wanting to start a flame war or anything, because modded vs stock is stupid, but, Antz, get a clue before you talk like a fool.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:34 PM

The average LS1 6-speed from '98-'02 dynos about 300 rwhp. Yeah, weight and gearing has nothing to do with 1/4 mile times . My car ran 14.0 at 101 before the last round of mods. I am multiple car lenghts ahead of cars that I used to lose to before this round of mods. I am not cocky. I am just saying I think I would be a very close race against stock LS1s in the 1/4 mile. I am not afraid to call out LS1s. If I win I win, if I lose I lose, I can handle it. Where did I ever say I would kill stock LS1s? I said I think it would be a very close race! The offer still stands, anybody with a bone stock LS1 that wants to meet me on June 25 at 7 p.m. at the Fernley track?
Old 06-06-2004, 04:42 PM

The average LS1 6-speed from '98-'02 dynos about 300 rwhp. Yeah, weight and gearing has nothing to do with 1/4 mile times . My car ran 14.0 at 101 before the last round of mods. I am multiple car lenghts ahead of cars that I used to lose to before this round of mods. I am not cocky. I am just saying I think I would be a very close race against stock LS1s in the 1/4 mile. I am not afraid to call out LS1s. If I win I win, if I lose I lose, I can handle it. Where did I ever say I would kill stock LS1s? I said I think it would be a very close race! The offer still stands, anybody with a bone stock LS1 that wants to meet me on June 25 at 7 p.m. at the Fernley track?
Ill end this here....01's- 02's dyno considerbly higher, Your no where near a well driven 6spd LS1 in the 1/4...it will rape you after the 1/8 extremely hard...Id match myself running w/ 6spd LT1s in the 1/4 if I was you...remember they trap around 102 stock w/ is faster the your most recent pass...Just think your bitting off a little more then you can chew w/ the LS1...as the for the weight n gearing as I said they wont have any effect because of the huge power differance so you can keep the rolling eyes smile...Not here to make enemies and nothing against you or your 2v just speaking for experience. GT would be a great project w/ a forged engine w/ a little FI
Old 06-06-2004, 05:21 PM

Ahh don't worry about all the LS1 followers here, they all think that they are topend gods Who cares if they will pull on you past the 1/8, just hook real well and let them hunt you down with their crazy topend pull I have a few LS1s under my belt since my dr's.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by hsyr
Ahh don't worry about all the LS1 followers here, they all think that they are topend gods Who cares if they will pull on you past the 1/8, just hook real well and let them hunt you down with their crazy topend pull I have a few LS1s under my belt since my dr's.
No LS1 Top End God here. The 03-04 Cobras will romp it driven well..just speaking the facts....A GT w/ a intake and DR's will not give a ls1 any kind of run....and thats that.... The Ls1 wont have much of a hunt down....

Quick Reply: Is it really this easy.