Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Mazda Speed (turbo car) vs LT1 (turbo car)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 PM

Mazda Speed (turbo car) vs LT1 (turbo car)

Well, well, well… Ever since a good friend of mine told me about Mazda ‘Speed’s (turbo iterations of Mazda 3, etc) I’ve been wondering if one was ever going to jump on me. I wonder no longer….

Some of you know I keep my 96 Z28 looking stock except for the wheels. No decals, no spoilers, nothing to give the uninformed an idea. So today, after leaving the local pizza place, I’m putting on my turn signal to turn right onto the freeway feeder. As I descend down the ramp, I’m looking in the side rearview mirror for traffic when merging. But, I looked back behind me and saw one of the aforementioned Mazda’s about 5 cars back, moving to the side as if to get a look at my car. I merged out onto the freeway doing the legal (well, tolerated) 75mph. I have my window down and I glance back in the mirror again and see him coming up beside me quickly. I grin, then downshift to 5th, then 4th and as he gets beside me, 3rd. Before I can look up to see if we’re going to do the 3 horn honk thing, off he goes.

Not so fast buddy. As I fully wind out 3rd, he’s not moving away from me anymore. I shift to fourth and start moving briskly beside, then away from him. He’s staring straight ahead instead of giving a thumbs up, etc. So, being childish (do men ever stop that? Lol…) I give him an exaggerated “shocked face” like the baby in that Etrade commercial. He looks at me then… lol… I busted out laughing, slowed down for my exit and left the freeway.

Another great day to own this Camaro of mine. 18 yrs of fun. Thanks for the memories Z28 o’ mine.
Dave
Old 09-28-2014, 04:15 PM

Re: Mazda Speed (turbo car) vs LT1 (turbo car)

You were right to kill it, but don't they only have about 260 hp stock? Even if he doubled that, wouldn't you still have more?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:50 PM

Re: Mazda Speed (turbo car) vs LT1 (turbo car)

I'm not sure. I know that I didn't pass him quickly enough for him to just be stock.
You never know what mods a car has. There's some EVO here in Albany running E85 with other improvements that claims he's dyno'd over 800 wheel HP. Hope I don't run into him

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
You were right to kill it, but don't they only have about 260 hp stock? Even if he doubled that, wouldn't you still have more?