Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Continuation of "mean LT1 posts"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Continuation of "mean LT1 posts"

Yeah,,

So I know Im going to start something here but,,,,

Ok so the first race I had this weekend,, I was trying to find a bone stock LS1 car, to take on my (M6 car), CAI and Catback LT1. According to most on the forum the ls1 should eat my car for breakfast haha. Anyway I found a oo Ws6, although it was an auto,,, but he had headers, a CAI, and different exhaust. We went from about a 20ish mph roll, On 3 beeps we go, I nail him off the line and pretty much all the way to 60-70 had the lead. After 70ish he pulls maybe a car and a half on me. I had a friend in the car, and he had no one,, so my guess is it would have been even closer had my friend jumped out. ANnnnnnd,, there was a guy who Video taped it from behind,, im trying to get the tape, its clear i jumped him bad in first with the lowly lt1 haha.

Then,,,, last night,,, raced a Mustang Bullit, with headers and exhaust. He thought hed eat me as well. We went from about the same, 20 mph roll,,,, right where I like it. I had him in first ( my car is a m6). I jumped on him , put a half car, and pulled on him a bit. Then went the second time,, and he jumped me cuz he left on the second honk,, i realled him in up top even with the lt1, and passed him by about 110.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Well LT1's have more lower end torque (though with headers he should still have more torque than you throughout the powerband) and your gears (3.42 as compared to 2.73-3.23) helped you pull him off the line.

Good Kill, but IMO that's a drivers race. I've seen a LS1 run consistant 14.2's at the track, but I've also found intake/exhaust ones running mid/low 13's.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:25 PM

That's not going to start anything. It's definitely within the realm of possibility. I used to holeshot my friends '00 SS M6 with similar mods, with my old L98 car. He'd blow by me around the 1/8th mile though. As far as LS1 cars running 14's. I've only seen one personally and that was a '99 Corvette vert A4 with a 300 lb.+ driver. He ran 14.0's all day trapping just over 100 MPH. I race near sea level though so I can't comment on what others see at altitude.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 AM

Sounds like a fun night, whats with the roll racing.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:54 AM

All depends on what year bullet, but id imagine a 2v car w/ the right driver w/ those mods would be a hell of a run for you....and w/ your mods, I could probably see you holding off a stock 273 ls1 for a bit but eventually it's gonna get you....323 & a 6spd car should kill you...Hard to tell u have no dyno or track numbers, remember a bad driver can make a fast car slow.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
Well LT1's have more lower end torque (though with headers he should still have more torque than you throughout the powerband) and your gears (3.42 as compared to 2.73-3.23) helped you pull him off the line.
They do, what planet is that on? The torque curve is alot smoother on the LS1 but nowhere in the range does a Lt1 make more power.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
They do, what planet is that on? The torque curve is alot smoother on the LS1 but nowhere in the range does a Lt1 make more power.
Same planet where dyno numbers don't mean anything.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:57 PM

From what I understand the LT1 reaches it's peak torque sooner than the LS1 but the LS1 put out more overall.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Opti_Ftw
ls1's run mid to low 13s stock
You really can't say this as a driver determines how fast a car will go. Only thing an LS1 is really capable of doing is a 99-104 mph range in an automatic... unless you want to REALLY broaden your scope of what they are capable of running.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by PHANTOM LT1
From what I understand the LT1 reaches it's peak torque sooner than the LS1 but the LS1 put out more overall.
Thats correct, thats basically what I was getting at.

Same planet where dyno numbers don't mean anything
Not sure exactly where your going w/ that.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
You really can't say this as a driver determines how fast a car will go. Only thing an LS1 is really capable of doing is a 99-104 mph range in an automatic... unless you want to REALLY broaden your scope of what they are capable of running.
99? Ofcourse all cars run differently and weather plays a part but now your stretching things a bit. A monkey can turn a decent time in a stockish auto fbody. Its just stab and point. I ran a stock 99 323 car in a humid 90+ degree day and still trapped 104 and change, heat effects Ls1's alot less then Lt1's. Also raced a stock 99ss numerous times on numerous occasions in my 373 bolt on 97(shorty headers) car and never was I ahead from a dig. and especially from a roll. At the time I was running 13.4's@103-104 w/ a bummed posi. In good conditions no a4 ls1 should run slower then 103 regardless of gears w/ some 01-02's cars hitting 105-6's...Ive seen a stock down to the filter 00 273 car run a 13.1 @ atco raceway in sth. jersey, lets see a LT1 come anywhere near that in stock form...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Weather and elevation are always factors. But outside of Denver in July I wouldn't expect any LS1 to trap 99 on a clean pass.

At 700 foot elevation my 99 Formula with 3.23 gears ran 13.5 @ 103 when it was stock. That's not to say I didn't have some bad runs where I spun the hell out of my street tires. I remember a few 14.2 @ 100 passes where I had 2.4 60's and had to let out then get back in it

But you can't count those blown runs as "stock ls1's times". When I hooked ok I ran 13.5 - 13.7 @ 103 all day long.

I get a kick out of some of the LT1 fanbois. According to them LT1's run 13.5 @ 102 stock and apparently LS1's run 14.2 @ 99. No wonder us LS1 guys feel the need to mod our cars. Gotta make up that .7 so we can hang with a stock LT1
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM

99? Ofcourse all cars run differently and weather plays a part but now your stretching things a bit. A monkey can turn a decent time in a stockish auto fbody. Its just stab and point. I ran a stock 99 323 car in a humid 90+ degree day and still trapped 104 and change, heat effects Ls1's alot less then Lt1's. Also raced a stock 99ss numerous times on numerous occasions in my 373 bolt on 97(shorty headers) car and never was I ahead from a dig. and especially from a roll. At the time I was running 13.4's@103-104 w/ a bummed posi. In good conditions no a4 ls1 should run slower then 103 regardless of gears w/ some 01-02's cars hitting 105-6's...Ive seen a stock down to the filter 00 273 car run a 13.1 @ atco raceway in sth. jersey, lets see a LT1 come anywhere near that in stock form...
That's kinda grasping, isn't it? Your car was basically broken and you use that as a real comparison? My "373 bolt 97" has never had any problems against a 105MPH car (barring a bad launch or a missed gear).

You seem to like to lump all LT1's into the "can't hang" pile based on your own lack of driving or modding capabilities. "Stab and point" might be part of your problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 PM

I havent posted in forever ... but the LS1 vs. LT1 thing kind of chaps my ***...

To conclude this:
Mod for mod, an LS1 WILL outpower an LT1
Stock for Stock, an LS1 WILL outrun an LT1 (Under same conditions, gears, weather, track, traction, etc.)
Modded versus stock, an LT1 is only headers, catback, and CAI away from being a run for their money (Under same conditions, gears, weather, track, traction, etc.)

That said, on the street:

NONE of it matters.
No one runs the same tires, at the same PSI, very few are geared the same, there is no tree so reaction times vary, traction wins street fights. FWIW, I've raced my share of cars that should have busted my ***. But I can holeshot, and held them out for the 1/4. Lots of people drove away scratching their heads ...

It doesnt matter what SHOULD be faster, or what makes more power. Winning is winning. Enough debate over LS versus LT platform lol.

LS has superiour heads, argueable about the block, stronger stock pistons (But prone to slapping), better bearings. Mod for mod the heads and intake give them a slight edge. Not a land slide like some make it seem.

To drive them they feel totally different. Its like riding a 1000CC V-Twin versus a GSXR 750. The 750 is linear (like an LS1) in its power delivery. 5% throttle makes 5% power, 25% makes 25% and so on ... An LT1 feels torquier as its power delivery is not as linear. This is why an LT1 FEELS faster. Its been proven a few times on dyno's that stock LS1's make a more linear portion of power versus an LT1 at the same TPS reading ...

I am done rambling. Havent ranted about LS1's and LT1's in a while.

Nice seeing all you again. Good to know that Antz still gets everyone fired up in Track Kills hehehe
Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 PM

99? Ofcourse all cars run differently and weather plays a part but now your stretching things a bit.
Yeah, i've heard of it. Not saying they all do, but some have and do.
A monkey can turn a decent time in a stockish auto fbody. Its just stab and point.
Ignorant statement of the month.
Ive seen a stock down to the filter 00 273 car run a 13.1 @ atco raceway in sth. jersey, lets see a LT1 come anywhere near that in stock form...
Great, I never said an lt1 was better. You call me the fanboy??! Never once did I say my motor was better. Never once did I say ANYTHING LT1 related in here. You brought it up with regards to me. Learn how to read.

Quick Reply: Continuation of "mean LT1 posts"