Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

03 Cobra gets killed

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:09 AM

Red face 03 Cobra gets killed

03 Cobra gets killed by the guard rail at my local 1/8th track

I went to watch some racing with a buddy of mine. They had just closed the lanes, and the last few cars were coming through before eliminations started. I saw a really nice looking 03 Cobra pull around the burnout box and stage up. For some odd reason I was thinking "I hope this guy is on drag radials, or he's gonna wreck". When the light went green he hit it and spun like crazy. Sure enough about halfway through second gear he started fishtailing. He was in the right lane, and when the car started spinning he was pointing to the rail on the right side(his side), then he overcorrected, came across the track and hit the opposite(left) rail. Both airbags came out, and the guy walked away with no injuries that I could see.

They brought out a full size Chevy truck and some tow straps to pull him out of the wall and off the track, but he was stuck in there so bad the truck couldn't pull him away. They ended up having to get a flat bed tow truck. I was told that when he finally got pulled off his radiator and other parts stayed stuck to the rail. It looked to me like the guy stayed in the throttle and tried to drive his way out of it. I feel bad for it, that was an expensive and embarrassing loss
Old 06-26-2004, 10:23 PM

Ouch!!
Old 06-27-2004, 02:15 AM

I hope his insurance dosent give him a hard time if they find out he took it to the track. They should still cover it though right?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by KamaroL98
I hope his insurance dosent give him a hard time if they find out he took it to the track. They should still cover it though right?
Nope. If you read the small print on a lot of the insureance companies it says something to the extent that you will not be covered in the event of an accident if you are involved in a accident while in a race staged or on the street.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:58 AM

Racing at the track=no insurance coverage. It sucks because a lot of people around here don't realize that if you are on street tires at the track, it is actually more slick than the street is. It gives a false sense of security, because you would expect more traction on a race track.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:43 AM

I hate seeing that happen at the track. Makes you wonder when it's your turn.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:09 PM

I almost had that happen to me when I was at the track. At the time I only had bolt ons, and was on street tires. As soon as I hit second gear the rear end started swinging around. I backed off to about half throttle and drove out of it. I really thought I had lost it. After I parked the car I decided I wouldn't even bother again until I had some drag radials.