Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

01 trans am vs 2010 camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadAzzGT
I haven't said that it's not been done just that I haven't seen it is all. I played around with one this past summer and wasn't really impressed but then again, I guess if he had more mods (s/c or spray?) it would be a little more fair......
Well of course... I'm looking forward to rolling alongside one in my LT1. Just to say that I whooped on the new SS with my LT1. Stock heads, stock intake, stock TB, stock bottom end, stock rear end, auto tranny, full weight. Not that a couple of those 'stock' parts haven't been improved a bit..." And if I run up on a bolt on cammed SS that gives me more than I bargained for, I'll just flip a red switch under my CD player.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
Slow? They're N/A and they're 12 second cars bone stock. That's faster than any Camaro SS or Mustang GT ever produced. How is that slow?
You do realize that some bone stock 98-02 SS's and WS6's made into the 12's right? The new SS isn't much of an improvement.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by johnny6
You do realize that some bone stock 98-02 SS's and WS6's made into the 12's right? The new SS isn't much of an improvement.
nice avatar!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:39 PM

***** are great!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 PM

I will never get tired of looking at her!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 PM

You do realize that there were very very very few LS1 F-bodies to ever do this BONE STOCK. The norm for an LS1 F-body was roughly 13.5. The norm for a bone stock Firth Gen is about a 13.0. That's like saying a stock LS1 fbody was not much of an improvement over a stock LT1 fbody. Everyone knows we're going to see those few Fifth gens that run mid 12's bone stock which will be far from the norm. You can't compare the fluke factory freaks with excellent drivers to the average fifth gen with average drivers. Plus it's doing all of this with 400 extra pounds.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM

You do realize that there were very very very few LS1 F-bodies to ever do this BONE STOCK. The norm for an LS1 F-body was roughly 13.5. The norm for a bone stock Firth Gen is about a 13.0. That's like saying a stock LS1 fbody was not much of an improvement over a stock LT1 fbody. Everyone knows we're going to see those few Fifth gens that run mid 12's bone stock which will be far from the norm. You can't compare the fluke factory freaks with excellent drivers to the average fifth gen with average drivers. Plus it's doing all of this with 400 extra pounds.
First of all the 93-02 F-body's were pretty much exactly the same, the only difference was the addition of a more powerful power plant on the same platform. Now let's compare the 4th gen LS1 to the new 5th gen LS3

-4th gen roughly 3500lbs curb weight driver and full tank of gas 350hp/365lbs tq
-5th gen roughly 3900lbs with driver 422hp/408lbs tq

So now we have a 400lb heavier platform with 72hp/43tq more and your acting like it's miles ahead in performance Have you ever taken physics? Power to ratio sound familiar? 12's in a stock 4th gen is a lot more common than you think, especially in the A4's. Thanks to the addition of all the crap consumers demanded on their muscle cars and all the new safety features is what bring the 5th gen down very close to the 4th gen level performance wise.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM

First of all the 93-02 F-body's were pretty much exactly the same, the only difference was the addition of a more powerful power plant on the same platform. Now let's compare the 4th gen LS1 to the new 5th gen LS3

-4th gen roughly 3500lbs curb weight driver and full tank of gas 350hp/365lbs tq
-5th gen roughly 3900lbs with driver 422hp/408lbs tq

So now we have a 400lb heavier platform with 72hp/43tq more and your acting like it's miles ahead in performance Have you ever taken physics? Power to ratio sound familiar? 12's in a stock 4th gen is a lot more common than you think, especially in the A4's. Thanks to the addition of all the crap consumers demanded on their muscle cars and all the new safety features is what bring the 5th gen down very close to the 4th gen level performance wise.
WOW. Where do I start. First of all... the new Camaro's LS3 is 426hp/420tq. Might want to check your sources. Second...do you really think the only difference between the LT1 Fbody and the LS1 fbody was a few HP? Don't get me wrong, I love my LT1 fbody. But the LS1 Fbody was given dozens of revisions. The HP was one. Here's a BRIEF list of upgrades. Coil per cylinder, brakes, driveshaft, entire front end, larger gas tank, lighter weight engine, more hp and tq as well as a flatter torque curve, corvette modeled LID, better exhaust manifolds, higher flowing heads, rim and tire packages, better PCM. Would you really like me to make a complete list of revisions for you?

And you've got to remember, a half second better 1/4 mile time is not the only improvement. I'm not a big fan of the added weight, but the Fifth gen is still faster than the 4th gen and is pretty far ahead in a number of technological areas, including IRS, bigger and better breaks, newer engine technology including VVT along with the option of launch control and a 6 Speed automatic. And that's just the beginning.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 PM

do you really think the only difference between the LT1 Fbody and the LS1 fbody was a few HP? Don't get me wrong, I love my LT1 fbody. But the LS1 Fbody was given dozens of revisions. The HP was one. Here's a BRIEF list of upgrades. Coil per cylinder, brakes, driveshaft, entire front end, larger gas tank, lighter weight engine, more hp and tq as well as a flatter torque curve, corvette modeled LID, better exhaust manifolds, higher flowing heads, rim and tire packages, better PCM. Would you really like me to make a complete list of revisions for you?
Who cares about those little options? The biggest change was the LS1, everything else is just small improvements, maybe you should read what i said again. Everything was improved on the same F-body platform, the 5th gen is not an F-body.

And you've got to remember, a half second better 1/4 mile time is not the only improvement. I'm not a big fan of the added weight, but the Fifth gen is still faster than the 4th gen and is pretty far ahead in a number of technological areas, including IRS, bigger and better breaks, newer engine technology including VVT along with the option of launch control and a 6 Speed automatic. And that's just the beginning.
Yep all of those technological improvements and yet just a half second faster than an LS1
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Yes the new camaro is a slight disappointment I was expecting the new ss to be at least as fast as the 03/04 390hp cobras. GM should come out with a z28 with the ls7 and sale it at the srt8 price range. I should not hurt the z06 sales, because it will be much slower and less fuel efficient with the added mass.

Last edited by henryz28; 12-30-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by henryz28
Yes the new camaro is a slight disappointment I was expecting the new ss to be at least as fast as the 03/04 390hp cobras. GM should come out with a z28 with the ls7 and sale it at the srt8 price range. I should not hurt the z06 sales, because it will be much slower and less fuel efficient with the added mass.
GM already designed a Z28. It uses a the same engine as the CTS-V. 556hp supercharged 6.2L.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 PM

Who cares about those little options? The biggest change was the LS1, everything else is just small improvements, maybe you should read what i said again. Everything was improved on the same F-body platform, the 5th gen is not an F-body.

Yep all of those technological improvements and yet just a half second faster than an LS1
The move from the LT1 to the LS1 was a bigger move than the LS1 to the LS3. So how is it that the LS3 gained as much over the LS1 as the LS1 gained over the LT1 and did it with a 400lb weight penalty? Plus, we're going to be seeing the added modding benefits of the A6, the VVT, the IRS and all of the other improvements on the car. And it also did all this without much of a price increase. When you adjust for inflation, this SS costs relatively less than the Last SS, and it's safer, faster, more comfortable, more fuel efficient, more stylish, and more technologically advanced in every area.

And what does it matter that it used the same subframe???
Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 PM

GM already designed a Z28. It uses a the same engine as the CTS-V. 556hp supercharged 6.2L.
Yes I found it http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1. Now that will be something to trade my f-body out for.