Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Question about brake bleeding...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Question about brake bleeding...

I realized the other day that my brake fluid was way low as the pedal had gotten soft and the brake light became intermittant. I topped off the master cylinder (much like I have done on previous cars) only to find the brake light still on and the pedal still soft. My initial thought is that the lines have some air in them and that they need bled. I was looking at my Haynes manual and it says not to bleed the brakes unless you have a Tech-1 or T-100 (CAMS) scan tool on cars with traction control (mine has TCS). I did some searching on the board here and couldn't come up with a definitive answer and am afraid to go bleeding them and screw something up. Some people seem to be able to do it without the tool and some say you can't. I am just trying to figure out if this is something I can do myself or if I need to take it to the shop and have them do it. Any help understanding the way this works and the need for the scan tool would be much appreciated.

Matt
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 PM

I have only done it once, but it seemed fairly simple. Just unscrew the brake line from near the caliper, and pump the brake until each pump yeilds no more air, and just brake fluid. You probably need a second person to help adding brake fluid to the resevior as you pump the brakes. Once the lines are bled, hook them back up and fill the resevior to full level. Move the car at very slow speeds to make sure the brakes work (be ready on the E brake in case the brakes are not okay). You may need to pump them a few more times after the car is started, and once the brakes seem to be properly working, you may want to double check the resevior doesn't need any more brake fluid.

After this you should be good to go from my one and only experience. Personally any more, I usually just take my car to a mechanic anyways just to make sure its all good. You may end up deciding to do the same, but if you don't and want to save some money, this process should take care of it.

(I'm not a pro by any means, so if I am missing anything here, someone else please chime in and correct me)
Old 01-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know how to bleed the brakes, but what I am trying to figure out is if the traction control system is going to affect or impact the process. Some people seem to think it does and others don't. If I need the special scan tool mentioned, I will need to take it in to a shop. If not, I can do it at home.

Matt
Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by IROCET
I realized the other day that my brake fluid was way low as the pedal had gotten soft and the brake light became intermittant. I topped off the master cylinder (much like I have done on previous cars) only to find the brake light still on and the pedal still soft. My initial thought is that the lines have some air in them and that they need bled. I was looking at my Haynes manual and it says not to bleed the brakes unless you have a Tech-1 or T-100 (CAMS) scan tool on cars with traction control (mine has TCS). I did some searching on the board here and couldn't come up with a definitive answer and am afraid to go bleeding them and screw something up. Some people seem to be able to do it without the tool and some say you can't. I am just trying to figure out if this is something I can do myself or if I need to take it to the shop and have them do it. Any help understanding the way this works and the need for the scan tool would be much appreciated.

Matt
I've bled my brakes several times on my car. I bled them twice when i pulled the motor out of the bottom of the car and i never had the tool. I also bled them once when i installed the LS1 front brakes. I just followed the Haynes manual. I believe i started at the ABS unit then went to the rears then the fronts. Its been a long time and i don't have my manual in front of me now to see what it says. My car doesn't have traction control just ABS.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by IROCET

Matt
It'd be a good idea to check the condition of the pads to make sure that isn't the reason why your brakes are soft.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks to everyone that has replied, but I think I either didn't word my inquiry right or everyone missunderstood what I was looking for. I am not trying to find out what is wrong with my car. All I am interested in is the brake bleeding procedure on a 97 T/A with traction control. The manual says you shouldn't do this without a scan tool yet some people disagree with that from what I have read. I am just trying to find out why the manual says you can't do it without the scan tool and some people say you can.

Matt
Old 01-27-2007, 01:40 PM

The correct method of bleeding brakes

The correct method of bleeding brakes with ABS is to use a device like a scanner to shuttle the ABS motors out and back to home while bleeding. But, even if not done, it will still work and accomplish the task. However, you will get an ABS INOP light until the fluid settles out.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:29 PM

I know your feeling I bled the brakes on my 97 after I removed painted my calipers and installed carbon pads and drilled slotted rotors and bleed them far to close and went thru it three times and the brakes don't feel right not soft but don't stop the car like I think it should, I also saw the tcs scanner deal in the manual maybe thats my problem to.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 PM

I just pressure bleed mine and they work fine.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Jut curious.... why would you post a question about "brake bleeding" on "LT1/LT4 Engine Tech"?

Moving.......
Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 PM

Woops...my bad! I wasn't even thinking when I posted that. Thanks for moving it.

So basically, bleeding them without the scan tool will result in the ABS being inop until the "fluid settles out", but can be done with no harm...? This is a learning thing for me right now as I have never bled brakes on a car with a TCS system or that needs a scan tool per the manual. Someone told me that if you bleed them with the battery disconnected it won't set the ABS Inop light off...anyone know if that is true?

Matt