Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

QA1 12 way adjustable shocks: few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:58 AM

QA1 12 way adjustable shocks: few questions

Have been looking into suspension lately in hopes of finally get some of my power to the ground. I really want a setup that allows me to get that front end up at the track, but later still have some fun in the twisties. So the QA1's sound like the shock for me.

So i was just curious what is involved and how difficult it is to adjust these? Are they something you can drive to the track, adjust in the pits, then put back before you drive home?

And since they are "12 way adjustable," does that mean they have 12 settings from cushy to stiff? On the stiffest setting, how do these compare to stock? about the same? much stiffer?

One last thing...is it worth the extra cash to upgrade to the R series front shocks? or are these strictly for the track?

thanks

Edit: Any opinions on running air bags with these? are they needed?

Last edited by Valkyn71; 02-15-2005 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:14 AM

Re: QA1 12 way adjustable shocks: few questions

I just got a full set, but havent installed them yet. They have a **** to adjust between the 12 settings, but since I havent installed them yet, I dont know how easy it is to while on the car. I do know that it can be done at the track, just not sure if you have to pull the front wheels off to reach or not.

From what I was told, the "R" shocks are more like a 90/10 , so they would be better for a track only car.

If you find these on BMR's website, there is a link to a review of these on an F-body
Old 02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Administrator

I have the QA1/HAL shocks. These are "single adjustable", and have a small **** that rotates to 12 different positions, as noted in the post above. If you face the **** in the right direction, it is fairly easy to access by reaching under the car. There are no "numbers" indicated, so you don't have to actually see the **** to adjust... just count the clicks as you turn it.

In the front you can turn the steering wheel to full lock, one side at a time, and reach behind the wheel and easilly rotate the ****. In the back, if you aim the **** toward the inside of the car, its simply a matter of reaching behind the wheel while laying on the ground. When I installed the Spohn drag rear sway bar, I had to rotate the shocks so the **** faces the tire, and its a little harder to reach, but not impossible.

The range of adjustment is WIDE.... "0" is like having no shocks at all, "12" is hard as a rock. I'd say that somewhere around "6" replicates the feel of the stock shocks.

That being said, while the HAL's are very good for drag cars, I wasn't impressed with road manners at the extreme. They were not as good as a set of the HD Bilsteins. If money is no object, get a set of Koni double adjustables.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP03555a.jpg
Old 02-15-2005, 11:00 AM

thanks Injuneer, that info will help me know the position to install them.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Administrator

I have an online procedure for installing the HAL's:

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/HALEibch.htm
Old 02-15-2005, 11:40 AM

Are the HD Bilsteins adjustable? or a more of a road course performance shock?

Im not too picky about the road manners, i dont feel comfortable taking my car into corners even up to the limit of the stock shocks. Dont want to find out just how fast is too fast for a corner.

So if they handle better than stock i would be happy. Just dont want drag shocks that make the car into a straight line only vehical.

How would you compare the cornering capabilities on the stiffer settings to stock?

Which settings do you usually use at the track, for daily driving, and if you wanna play in the twisties?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Administrator

My car has really reached the point where it is no longer driven on the street... only at the track, 1/4-mile at a time. The suspension is directed totally at straight line traction, so going around corners at anything above 50% of the car's original capability is something I wouldn't even try.

When the car was street driven on a regular basis, it was lowered 1.8" in the front, 1.0" in the back. With the QA1's in the mid range, say "6" in the back, "7" in the front, cornering capability was very good. But the rear QA1's and the Eibach Pro-Kit springs did not get along well at all. The back end had a very "choppy" up and down motion... sort of like a slammed S-10 riding on the axle. I don't mind "harsh".... but this wan't harsh, it was an unpleasant buckboard sort of feel. I softened the QA1's to "4" and then to "3" and the "chop" went away, but then I didn't feel there was enough damping. I dumped the Pro-Kits and returned the car to stock ride height. By then, it was a drag car.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:46 PM

I need to get a set...