Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Lower Control Arm removal help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 PM

Question Lower Control Arm removal help!!!

OK first let me say that I have searched and searched and searched some more and not just on this forum and no answer to my issue...so please chime in cause I am about to double up on my F'em all pills before I kill someone

Rear bolts are rusted, nuts come off no problem...soaking in PB blaster and gonna keep doing so for days then beat the hell out of them as I curse in unison lmao! If that don't work then I will try heat and go from there. This is not the big issue either!

The main issue at the moment...the front bolts nuts and bolts are free...yaaaaa! However, they will not come out because of the inner tie rod, and its not the dust cover it is hitting the rod. GM manuals do not give any help, Haynes is worthless except for pictures maybe. So what has everyone done????

Also, little did I know on the upper A Arms I took to shop to get out...then I seen all ya had to do was torch the rubber and clean it out reuse cups. Well they destroyed all four taking them out! So I got new ones ordered and I assume no issues in pressing new cups back in??? I thought about just replacing the uppers for now as well...any thoughts???

Also, got a ES poly kit I want to use. Not gonna be a road course car, but I am installing SLP Bilsteins and Strano springs all around. Of course replacing all ball joints as well. Car is primarily gonna be taken to shows, occasionally driven, down the strip now and again, no incliment weather and is garaged...would you go with regualr AC Delco bushings or poly??? When I go to storke to a 383 gonna go aftermarket K member and A Arms but that may be a few years down the road...Thought or opinions please!

Thanks! I appreciate any replies!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Re: Lower Control Arm removal help!!!

Separate the ball joint.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Fred everything on front suspension is already apart. All that's left is to remove the lower A Arm. Eventually I will get the rear bolt but the front can't get past inner tie rod.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Administrator

I took mine apart, but it was 14 years ago. I'm thinking maybe I had to turn the steering to the opposite side.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I took mine apart, but it was 14 years ago. I'm thinking maybe I had to turn the steering to the opposite side.
Thanks again for the reply Fred. I will give it a try when I get back home from work tomorrow. Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 AM

Yeah, that's it.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Fred you are the MAN! That was the trick! Rear bolts budging some! Never had much time to really beat on them cause gotta go back to work early in the morning more than likely. Soaked them down with more PB Blaster. Thanks again!