Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Going to do a brakejob soon, got questions for my LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:05 PM

Going to do a brakejob soon, got questions for my LS1...

I was looking into getting some Dustfree pads, What kind should I go for, where can I find them, and how much am I looking to spend for the front and the rear?

Also my right front rotor is warped so I'm just going to replace all of my rotors when I do the job. I heard that stock rotors warp easy, yet crossdrilled / slotted rotors are just a waste of time and money? So whats a good replacement?

Just to note I'm on a budget aswell...
Old 05-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Re: Going to do a brakejob soon, got questions for my LS1...

Slotted rotors are fine, but not drilled. Try to find some inexpensive ones, but not CHEAP ones. Directional cooling vanes are a plus, but not necessary.
As for pads, ceramic will do just fine. I got the NAPA pads, but I'm sure Bendix, Raybestos, Hawk, whatever will do fine if you want to spend more on pads. Lastly, get a good brake bleed down. 100% clean fluid, 0% air bubbles!
Have a good one.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:35 PM

I have wagner quiet stops on the front and wagner SXs on the rear. Its probably not the best for autocrossing but i never really brake that hard to tell. They are great for daily driving though, no squeeling or brake dust
Old 05-06-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by hot white z
Slotted rotors are fine, but not drilled. Try to find some inexpensive ones, but not CHEAP ones. Directional cooling vanes are a plus, but not necessary.
As for pads, ceramic will do just fine. I got the NAPA pads, but I'm sure Bendix, Raybestos, Hawk, whatever will do fine if you want to spend more on pads. Lastly, get a good brake bleed down. 100% clean fluid, 0% air bubbles!
Have a good one.
Okay, I'll look into slotted rotors, any hint on where I can find some "inexpensive" ones?

Originally Posted by gt_biker13
I have wagner quiet stops on the front and wagner SXs on the rear. Its probably not the best for autocrossing but i never really brake that hard to tell. They are great for daily driving though, no squeeling or brake dust
That sounds cool, Where did you buy those?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Slotted are said to eat the pads so they'll generate more dust.
There is NO dustfree pad. Ceramic pads create dust, but there is less and its usually lighter in color and tus not as visible on shiney wheels.
Less dust = harder pad = harder on the rotor.

I ran the Wagner Thermoquiets. While they don't dust much and are quiet, but their braking performance leaves much to be desired. Panic stops at hiway speeds are butt clinchers with them and they fade easily even with marginally spirited braking.

Personally, I'll deal with a little more dust for better braking and not having to hope I stop in time vs less dust and less braking and hoping it stops in time.

As for rotors, any stock replacement blank that the front rotors weigh more than 18lbs (stock fronts are light castings @ 16lbs) and you're good to go. Vatozone has some inexpensive rotors that fit the bill. I've talked to several guys that run them for a season of auto-x w/out probs. I had Wagner blanks and now Bendix. Both are ~18.5 lbs. Only reason I switched was because I got the Bendix cheap and zinc coated for the price of regular blanks.

My rear rotors never warped in 65k miles and were still in good shape when removed. So if you're really on a budget, just keep them and get better front rotors and pads for all 4 corners. The rears don't get anywhere near the abuse as the front.

I have to agree with hot white, bleed the system with good fluid.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 05-06-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 AM

Clean out your IM's and I'll send you a link.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Clean out your IM's and I'll send you a link.
It's clean, go ahead and send away