Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 PM

Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install

I have an easy question for all of you. I am currently installing new Energy Suspension bushings in my front control arms of my 1998 Formula. The question is: on the front LCAs, there is a vertical bushing. Now, on all the other bushings, I use the stock bushing outer casing. On this bushing, the new parts will not fit inside the stock bushing casing. It looks to me like I just need to remove the old casing, but I don't want to go through the pain of hammer it out if there is something else that I am not doing right. I haven't seen a bushing design like this before.

Can any of you verify this procedure for me? I'm sure there are a few of you who have gone thru this before.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Re: Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install

The ES vertical bushing is a different design than the stock one. It requires that you remove the vertical "can" from the A-arm. I found that it would break lose from the A-arm by hammering in the edges of the can until it broke loose from the rust that holds it in.

That will leave a hole in the A-arm, wth a raised edge. The larger diameter part of the ES bushing 1/2 goes over that lip. It may be difficult to assemble the ES pieces in this manner. Grease them up very well before you start. I had to use a big C-clamp to press the parts together.

Its 7 years since I did the ES install, but I thought the parts came with fairly clear instructions.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:31 AM

Re: Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install

Thanks Injuneer.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The ES vertical bushing is a different design than the stock one. It requires that you remove the vertical "can" from the A-arm. I found that it would break lose from the A-arm by hammering in the edges of the can until it broke loose from the rust that holds it in.

That will leave a hole in the A-arm, wth a raised edge. The larger diameter part of the ES bushing 1/2 goes over that lip. It may be difficult to assemble the ES pieces in this manner. Grease them up very well before you start. I had to use a big C-clamp to press the parts together.

Its 7 years since I did the ES install, but I thought the parts came with fairly clear instructions.
I will be installing the ES front control arm busings (upper and lower) but Summit has the ES branded grease back ordered. Can I just use regular white lithium grease? Something else?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jchrisos
I will be installing the ES front control arm busings (upper and lower) but Summit has the ES branded grease back ordered. Can I just use regular white lithium grease? Something else?
Nevermind - the 3-pack was backordered so I called back and ordered three individual tubes.