CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/)
-   -   Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/energy-suspension-front-lca-bushing-install-447285/)

lghtmup98 04-26-2006 08:35 PM

Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install

I have an easy question for all of you. I am currently installing new Energy Suspension bushings in my front control arms of my 1998 Formula. The question is: on the front LCAs, there is a vertical bushing. Now, on all the other bushings, I use the stock bushing outer casing. On this bushing, the new parts will not fit inside the stock bushing casing. It looks to me like I just need to remove the old casing, but I don't want to go through the pain of hammer it out if there is something else that I am not doing right. I haven't seen a bushing design like this before.

Can any of you verify this procedure for me? I'm sure there are a few of you who have gone thru this before.

Injuneer 04-27-2006 07:59 AM

Re: Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install

The ES vertical bushing is a different design than the stock one. It requires that you remove the vertical "can" from the A-arm. I found that it would break lose from the A-arm by hammering in the edges of the can until it broke loose from the rust that holds it in.

That will leave a hole in the A-arm, wth a raised edge. The larger diameter part of the ES bushing 1/2 goes over that lip. It may be difficult to assemble the ES pieces in this manner. Grease them up very well before you start. I had to use a big C-clamp to press the parts together.

Its 7 years since I did the ES install, but I thought the parts came with fairly clear instructions.

lghtmup98 04-29-2006 09:31 AM

Re: Energy Suspension Front LCA Bushing install

Thanks Injuneer.

jchrisos 04-12-2007 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 3823894)
The ES vertical bushing is a different design than the stock one. It requires that you remove the vertical "can" from the A-arm. I found that it would break lose from the A-arm by hammering in the edges of the can until it broke loose from the rust that holds it in.

That will leave a hole in the A-arm, wth a raised edge. The larger diameter part of the ES bushing 1/2 goes over that lip. It may be difficult to assemble the ES pieces in this manner. Grease them up very well before you start. I had to use a big C-clamp to press the parts together.

Its 7 years since I did the ES install, but I thought the parts came with fairly clear instructions.

I will be installing the ES front control arm busings (upper and lower) but Summit has the ES branded grease back ordered. Can I just use regular white lithium grease? Something else?

jchrisos 04-12-2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jchrisos (Post 4536649)
I will be installing the ES front control arm busings (upper and lower) but Summit has the ES branded grease back ordered. Can I just use regular white lithium grease? Something else?

Nevermind - the 3-pack was backordered so I called back and ordered three individual tubes.