Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

brake problem on 95 z

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:22 PM

brake problem on 95 z

i havent had my car out in about 2 weeks, and i noticed a problem with my brakes,
first i noticed that when i hit the brake pedal my "brake" light comes on in the dash and stays on, but when i hit it again or tap the brake pedal it goes off.

second when i went for a drive if i hit the brakes the car slows down but if i come off the pedal the car still wants to stop then about 2 seconds later i feel the brakes release, only thing touched with the braking system in this car is a line lock was installed in the spring, (no problems after install) and a vaccum pump installed (no problems also) and i bypassed that by putting the factory line back to the manifold and still have the same proble,

checked callipers(front) and they seem to be ok i compressed the pistons back in to the caliper with some force but they have been the same since all my pad replacements

what could it be, clogged hose?

front or back ? like i said it grabs even when i come off the brake for a few seconds (pedal comes back) fluid is full too
Old 10-13-2007, 02:35 PM

well first off when you red brake light comes on it is basicly thowing a check engine code, but its check brake code, get a scan tool and look in your pcm history and find out what it is, i bet you have high resistance on a ground and its putting your ABS off.

as far as your brakes not releasing im guessing its your front tires because back only has 40% grab front has 60%, doughtfull you would notice that much if it was the back.....as far as the grabbing and not returning....the only thing that returns the piston in disk brakes is a square seal that streches and compresses, so if this seal is damaged in anyway, or just has too many miles on it it can fail, should be fairly cheap to fix, if you get rebuilt calipers and flush your lines you should be back...

p.s. might just flush all fluid and bleed brakes could just be $hit in the lines
Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 PM

my abs inop light is not comming on while im driving so can that be ruled out?

im going to try flushing out the lines to the front calipers first
Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 AM

so far the front brake hoses were changed and front calipers were changed all brakes blead, still having same issue, im thinking its the proprortioning valve or somethings up w/ abs module, no abs light tho?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

The "BRAKE" light is not connected to the EBCM computer, so its not showing you a "code". It means either 1) the E-brake is on/switch if faulty, or 2) the differential pressure valve on the side of the ABS unit is seeing a significant difference in line pressure between the front and rear braking circuits. You need to find out why there is a pressure difference between front and rear. That does not mean the ABS motors can not be at fault in causing the delayed release of the brakes, but its not likely.

Is it possible the line lock solenoid is damaged, or there is a voltage leak to the circuit for the solenoid? That would explain a difference in the front and rear line pressures, and delay in releasing the brakes.

With disc brakes, the pads don't really move much. They just "relax" as the fluid pressure disappears, but stay lightly in contact with the rotors. A problem with releasing the brakes is more likely related to the problem with pressure. Corrosion of the piston bores in the calipers could affect the "release" on the pads though.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:57 PM

line lock was bypased/disconnected and checked and still have same problem . i have a feeling its a pressure problem, calipers changed