Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

body strength withough a cage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:31 PM

Re: body strength withough a cage

is it at all possible for the rear crossbar to be positioned farther back to right where the backseat is, or maybe just slightly behind it where the trunk hump is? Just curious, as i haven't had any experience with one yet.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:13 PM

Unless its a track only car you shouldn't have a cage in it unless you wear a helmet ALL THE TIME ! . Contrary to popular belief if you have a roll bar or cage in the car you are more likely to receive a severe injury from hitting your head on the cage.

GM and other automakers spend millions making cars impact friendly on the inside and then we go and install all kinds of bone breaking upgrades

John
Old 01-31-2006, 05:50 PM
IHI

I think I'll take a cage when the steering shaft come OUT OF the steering box at 120mph, weave across the track, bounce off competitors guardrail, spin 180* and hit his guardrail at estimated 120+mph-BACKWARDS!!! Things happen very quick and it's better to be over protected...why do you think race cars are built the way they are for function and SAFETY!!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by john35thss
Unless its a track only car you shouldn't have a cage in it unless you wear a helmet ALL THE TIME ! . Contrary to popular belief if you have a roll bar or cage in the car you are more likely to receive a severe injury from hitting your head on the cage.

GM and other automakers spend millions making cars impact friendly on the inside and then we go and install all kinds of bone breaking upgrades

John
If that's the case, then you shouldn't have a car that has the capability of running faster than 11.49 on the street EVER, unless you wear a helmet all the time!

Hey, my car has a six point with no swing outs, and I've gotten so used to jumping in and out that the roll bar is no impediment whatsoever anymore. In addition, my rear seat is still functional thanks to a roll bar option from S&W racecar that retains the rear seat. I'm now considering adding a second crossbrace behind the rear seats and two smaller 5-point race harnesses for the rear two seats, actually. Maybe I'll take John's advice and buy three additional full-face helmets for the street as well!

http://www.ws6transam.org/rollbar_installed.jpg

BTW, the rollbar now is fully covered with padding so dont wig out, John!

..and as for stiffness: The car is now so rigid that the car usually sits on only three of the four jackstands. It's hard to adjust jackstands so that they are all the same height, since the undercarriage is asymetrical in the front. This never was a problem before since the car would usually "settle" onto the jackstands. Now however, it's as rigid as an I-beam so it doesnt bend anymore. I can jack the car up by the subframe connectors and still open and close doors as if its sitting on the ground.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 PM

talk about being sore the next morning.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 PM
IHI

Originally Posted by easyc4
talk about being sore the next morning.
And here's the rest of the story since he was pitted right next to us.

The guy driving at time of accident USED to own the car, but had sole it weeks prior with the new car owner allowing him to finish the season in it since he was doing rather well, think the new owner wanted his money back??

I asked the guy if he was luck enough to black out and he laughed and said "I wish", said he saw EVERY hit coming when it was cartwheeling once it jumping over the guardrail, "every hit hurt" was how he put it. BUT he walked away with no injuried other than some bruised body parts and ego.

Try that in a factory car do just 100 mph and unless your on gods good side that day...your dead, plain and simple. Too much macho BS and ingornace thinking it will never happen to them, ask what every driver that got into an accident thought and they'll tell ya the say thing, "never thought it'd happen to me" fact of the matter-YOU dont even need to screw up, the other guy can have something go wrong and cross paths and leave you in a world of hurt...anybody remember the pro stock race last year?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 AM

Relax guys,
Its just most people don't realize a cage is only safer if you wear the gear.
You can't drive a car at the track without a helmat , so at the track a definate plus.
I just see and hear about cars with cages and rear seats, and the rear seat is dangerous even with padded tubing. Front not much better depending on how far back overhead tube is.
In Ontario have seen charges laid by police for having a roll cage.

John
Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 AM

Personally John, I think the danger of a roll cage is overblown. If the roll hoop isn't there during impact, your head has another two or three inches before contacting the steel of the pillar. An automobile accident is violent any way you look at it, though there is merit to the argument on the dangers of a crossbar to rear seat passengers. I've got a design for a flush-mounted flange that would make my crossbar removable for street use but I haven't gotten around to paying to have it machined or welded into place. ...maybe next year.

However, I think the benefit of a side bar and it's ability to keep the other car OUT of my lap in the event of a broadside collision outweighs the danger of my noggin knockin on the padded roll hoop.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:13 AM

i think im just gonna shoot for an 11.5 street warrior and ditch the cage. Once i have a c6 in the drive way, then ill put in a cage and make it a destroyer.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:26 AM

A 6-point bar is not a cage.... it's just a roll-bar.. so please stop refering it to a roll-cage... a cage is atleast a 10-point and contains a halo-bar and front down bars...

Also, who uses your back-seat anyways? I know I can't fit anyone back there in any sorts of comfort on the PS side with the seat moved up, yet alone behind the drivers seat... that is unless it's a paraplegic midget...

Safety is not something to screw with... period...
Old 02-01-2006, 11:42 AM

sorry i wasnt politically correct enough for you, but no one has ever defined that to me. i figure a roll bar (not the sigular use of bar, not barS) meant ONE bar, not 6. but i do, on occasion, have people in my back seats. ususally not for a long trip.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Its not a matter of being "politically" correct, its a matter of being "technically" correct. It was clearly explained in one of the earlier responses to your post that you need a 5-point roll bar to run 10's. seeya also explained the differences between the bar and the cage, with regard to the NHRA requirments..... 11.49-seconds, etc. Apparently you missed the point in both those posts.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 PM

i didnt miss any points. just there is no reason to jump down someones throat for the misconception of a roll bar vs. roll cage. i meant the same thing, just used the wrong term. that was all i missed. if you look before i also posted

"i think im just gonna shoot for an 11.5 street warrior and ditch the cage."

Meaning, i am gonna keep the car above the 11.499 mark so i do not have to put in a roll bar. I am fully aware that if i run 11.499 or lower i am going to have a 6 point roll bar. That is why i posted this thread, to see if there was any way around it. There isnt.

also, if you look further down in the post, i was the one that brough up the 11.499 rule. so how could i miss it?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Actually, you need a 5-point roll bar to run under 11.50.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:45 PM

i know this, but if i am gonna cut up the car, i might as well ad the 6th.

Quick Reply: body strength withough a cage