CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/)
-   -   body strength withough a cage (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/body-strength-withough-cage-425518/)

SpeedDemon02SS 01-25-2006 09:45 PM

body strength withough a cage

is there anyway i can get the strengh of a cage, without having to weld in a cage?

teke184 01-26-2006 07:41 AM

Re: body strength withough a cage

how bout a bolt in cage?

is it the welding you don't want of the bulk of the cage?

SpeedDemon02SS 01-26-2006 09:39 AM

its the actual cage. i dont want to cut holes in the panels, or having the 'ugliness' of a cage. Also, i want to be able to use the back seats. When i am done my build up, i will probally be putting down aourn 550-600 rwhp, and a 10 sec. 1/4. with some sticky tires. Gonna re-inforce the suspesion with all the necessoary parts, and i am gonna extra-weld in my SLP sfc's. I just want the strength of a cage (tourque factor) without the bulk inside.

Can a re-inforce the frame anyway?

sseeya 01-26-2006 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon02SS
its the actual cage. i dont want to cut holes in the panels, or having the 'ugliness' of a cage. Also, i want to be able to use the back seats. When i am done my build up, i will probally be putting down aourn 550-600 rwhp, and a 10 sec. 1/4. with some sticky tires. Gonna re-inforce the suspesion with all the necessoary parts, and i am gonna extra-weld in my SLP sfc's. I just want the strength of a cage (tourque factor) without the bulk inside.

Can a re-inforce the frame anyway?

You do know that you will not be able to run 10 sec. 1/4's without at least a five point rollbar, right?

RedHottG2 01-26-2006 01:17 PM

I think a cage addes to the racey look of the car. But that's JMO. :)

SpeedDemon02SS 01-26-2006 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by sseeya
You do know that you will not be able to run 10 sec. 1/4's without at least a five point rollbar, right?

Yes, i am aware. I will get 1 run, and then i will have to leave. Thats all i want.

Do they make any cages that dont require you to rip apart the center?

also, correct me if i am wrong, but didnt the NHRA change the mandatory roll cage rule to 11.499 or lower?

sseeya 01-26-2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon02SS
Yes, i am aware. I will get 1 run, and then i will have to leave. Thats all i want.

Do they make any cages that dont require you to rip apart the center?

also, correct me if i am wrong, but didnt the NHRA change the mandatory roll cage rule to 11.499 or lower?

Yes, they did change that rule. However as long as you haven't altered the stock firewall or floor, you can run as quick as 10.00 with just a roll bar.

SpeedDemon02SS 01-26-2006 03:23 PM

I have not modified the structure of hte car. I can just have a roll bar behind the front seats and taht will be ok? Can i hide that in the panels and roof?

sseeya 01-26-2006 04:01 PM

Your'e still gonna need two rear bars and at least one front down bar on the driver's side. Hense the five point rollbar. I don't see any way you could hide a roll bar inside the roof and panels

SpeedDemon02SS 01-26-2006 04:10 PM

yea, thats what i thought, but im trying to avoid the hole cage thing. regardless of how fast it is, i am still going to drive it around town. and dont want to be climbing over a bar everytime i go cruising.

IHI 01-26-2006 05:44 PM

Well back seat being utilized I guess is in the eye of the beholder, but I never gave a thought to sticking anybody back there LOL!

Hve you thought about installing hinged door bars with quick release pins on both hinge side and anchor point side...this way you can easily remove the door bars for times your not at the track or dont want that racey look. You could rig something up also for the rear cross bar between the hoop along the removable lines. The rear bars can easily be bent to hug the roof/hatch area tightly so as not to hinder that "back seat" space too much.

Nothing beats the strength and SAFETY of a roll cage, but I understand your veiw of the car and the PITA factor the cage adds to it...all too well:) But I've seen in person quite a few accidents at the track at the speeds
(and naturally faster) that your shooting for and it aint pretty should somthing happen, and believe me it happens alot faster than you think even if your the worlds safest and best driver...if it happens and you lose control-you will not have a second chance.

ABA383 01-26-2006 06:18 PM

Yeah, IHI took the words right out of my keyboard. Going 10s even once at 125-130 mph without the proper safety equipment is not a good idea. All it takes is one failure, mistake, debris on the track, etc, etc..all of the above involving the person in the next lane, etc and you could die. An accident of any kind at speeds over 100 is catastrophic...

I know its a pain to have a roll bar, but there are many companies that can fab you a great custom lightweight chrome moly 6 point bar with swing outs or removable door bars that tucks up nice and tight and won't detract from the look of the car, but will add tons of safety and, if done right, will also help stiffen the car and add to the suspensions effectiveness.

I'm .02 from needing a bar, but with Kooks LTs and an EWP coming soon, that will probably change...I've already got plans for the roll bar...

--Alan

sseeya 01-26-2006 10:16 PM

The problem I see is he wants to use his back seat. Swing out door bars are perfectly legal, but a removable cross bar is not. It says right in the rulebook, and I'm quoting:

"Crossbar and rear braces must be welded to the main hoop"

Having that crossbar back there makes the rear seat pretty much unuseable.

IHI 01-26-2006 10:56 PM

I understand that, but stated from his earlier posts, this will not be a race car. More of a street killer that may go out a few times and try for a best pass like 90% of the test and tuners. A removable cross bar will easily pass Sat afternoon T&T as it'd be alot better than the other option of having nothing at all. there are alot of "pro street" type cars running this set-up...they want the looks of a race car without the headaches of getting into/out of and working on interior stuff.

I've also seen plenty of guys in this situation not run any cross bar at all. Just a hoop and rear bars thnking it's doing something.:confused:

SpeedDemon02SS 01-27-2006 08:18 AM

Can anyone post some pics of thier cage set-up.