Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Best LS1 pad/rotors for weekend warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:55 PM

Best LS1 pad/rotors for weekend warrior?

Looking for the best LS1 front pad/rotor setup for that will work in a daily driver/auto-x car.

Right now I'm looking at Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS pads but I'm open to other suggestions.

Budget is ~$250 for 2 front rotors and a set of pads. I've had Hawk pads in my previous '94 Z and they created a ton of brake dust. I realize a performance pad is going to dust but I'd like to get the best all around pad without sacrificing braking performance.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Re: Best LS1 pad/rotors for weekend warrior?

I am currently running the ATE premium one rotors with the hps pads. so far so good.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 AM

I got the highest end ceramic pads from Wagner and the cheapest chinese rotors I could find. Interesting result: the pads last forever, grab like a mother, handle the heat well, don't dust up the rims. The rotors are holding up just fine. It's been over 60K miles on them now and plenty left. Do check for cracks now and then... but these have lasted WAY longer than the brembo cross-drilled, washed, super expensive rotors I used to run.

The KEY I think is to get a VERY accurate torque wrench, deepwell 19MM, and reset the wheel torque every few months if you are not removing the wheels often. My buddy, a long term mechanic said the trick to iron rotors is having alot of mass - not slotted/drilled. he was right. hit them with high heat paint on the hub and cooling fins because they rust fast.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 PM

So I went ahead and ordered Hawk HPS pads a couple days ago.

For rotors, I'm in between DBA 2000 slotted or GM Durastop blanks. Price is the same, about $120 for the pair. Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:41 PM

Hi All, Hawk HPS should treat you well. I thought I would offer my two cents on pads, I have had the Akibono Street Performance pads on my 95 convertible for about a year and love them. I got them after reading good reports on TireRack.com (I clicked through from camaroZ28.com, love those sponsors!). They have plenty of grip, zero squeal, run smooth (in spite of me installing them on rotors which had been run in on the funky pads I bought the car with) and the best part is ZERO dust on my ten spoke SS wheels. I paid $70 for the pads with shipping so really a good deal too. I only use the car on the street but I would bet they would work fine for Autocross too.

Good luck with the rotors and hope to see a follow up post when you get them in and have had enough time to wring them out.