Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales GPs/SALES CAN BE MADE BY SUPPORTING VENDORS OF THIS SITE ONLY!

I need your imput on new LT1 headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 06:24 PM

if you give me a free set of your LT1 longtube headers i will drive my car all the way from IL to you so you can do testing for a y-pipe

but if not i would be interested in buying a set without emmissions hookups
Old 12-13-2002, 08:37 PM

I was going to order my Hooker LTs from you after the first of Jan, but I think Ill wait now and see how these turn out. I would not need emissions. The Y pipe definately needs cutouts though

Also, if you dont want to use simple's car, I could also provide an Illinois car for testing in exchange for a free set.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:08 AM

Cool

Originally posted by turbo_Z
i think you guys should have 2 different sets...one with emissions fittings and one without. couldnt you simply pull some sets off the assembly line a little early so they miss the emissions crap or just have those guys that weld on them make some without??

also i think the slip fit would be the best solution. that would be an oversized 3" on the collector to fit over the 3" y-pipe instead of a slip where the 3" y-pipe fits over the collector...correct? that way you dont choke the flow when the exhaust enters the collectors.

you said O2 bungs on the outside of the collectors?? i think bung placement should be towards the inside of the car so the wires dont have to be routed around the hot collectors.

Exactly what he said. If you have to use a 3-bolt collector flange, make 'em thick so they seal better. If you make a header that is well built, makes good power, is fairly easy to install, has good plug/wire access, good ground clearance, has provisions for O2 sensors/emissions equipment, and is reasonably priced; you will have a real winner-and many customers. This is a very tall order, and for everyone's sake I wish you luck.
If you can make the headers as stated above for the $511 dollar price tag with the 3-pay plan, the only problem you'll have is keeping them in stock
Old 12-14-2002, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by onebadponcho
Exactly what he said. If you have to use a 3-bolt collector flange, make 'em thick so they seal better. If you make a header that is well built, makes good power, is fairly easy to install, has good plug/wire access, good ground clearance, has provisions for O2 sensors/emissions equipment, and is reasonably priced; you will have a real winner-and many customers. This is a very tall order, and for everyone's sake I wish you luck.
If you can make the headers as stated above for the $511 dollar price tag with the 3-pay plan, the only problem you'll have is keeping them in stock
Like he said.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:55 PM

I think the 3 bolt flange would be the best and then offer a ypipe for it. A lot of people are now going the true dual route and the hooker lt's make it super easy.

Another vote for emissions stuff as well!

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2002, 03:04 AM

I think a ball flange would be better, like on the MACs . They dont leak, and are easy to line up. But thats a great price. When will pics of the prototype be ready?

Jeff
Old 12-15-2002, 06:21 PM

I'm in for a set. I was planning to get a set of Hookers. But, if I don't find a good deal on a used set before January I'll be in for these.

Michael
Old 12-16-2002, 09:56 AM

hows the ground clearance? Any pics?
Old 12-16-2002, 12:24 PM

We should be getting a car shortly for the test fit. After we make a few changes, we'll start manufacturing the headers, After we get the 1st batch, I should have some pictures.

Thanks
Chris
chris@jet-hot.com
Old 12-16-2002, 04:04 PM
Banned

Will the ports line up?

3 or 2 bolt dosnt matter in the end
emissions I vote for no

ground clearance would be nice

but as long as the ports line up better then the hookers you have my money
Old 12-18-2002, 08:46 AM

I guess I'll be waiting til January to buy my headers as long as these are similarly priced to the Jet hot coated hooker lt's for 620 shipped.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:58 PM

ground clearance, plug access, and no leaks are all I ask for. would also like no emissions.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:49 PM

do the right thing for the environment

Jet Hot-

Do the right thing and build them with emissions hookups. Leave it up to the the buyer to disable the functionality. The decision shouldn't be any more difficult than that. Also, if you're going to do flanges, the flanges should be very thick so they can be torqued tight enough. (Picture a turbocharger and the downpipe flange) I think some of the other flanges are too thin and that causes the flex during temp fluctuations and eventual blow out of the gasket.

Also, ypipe with cat(s) that fit both types of cat-backs (single and dual cat). I'm waiting until January now....
Old 12-19-2002, 04:12 PM

Re: do the right thing for the environment

Originally posted by merim123
Jet Hot-

Do the right thing and build them with emissions hookups. Leave it up to the the buyer to disable the functionality. The decision shouldn't be any more difficult than that. Also, if you're going to do flanges, the flanges should be very thick so they can be torqued tight enough. (Picture a turbocharger and the downpipe flange) I think some of the other flanges are too thin and that causes the flex during temp fluctuations and eventual blow out of the gasket.

Also, ypipe with cat(s) that fit both types of cat-backs (single and dual cat). I'm waiting until January now....
I couldn't agree more with your first statement, but I think they could make them with or without the emissions stuff so there's a choice. If there's not going to be a choice, obviously include the emissions hookups and leave it to us to block the stuff off.
However, on the issue of flanges... I think 3/8" is plenty thick. You can only make the flange so thick; if they're too thick, you'll have a problem getting some of the header bolts to go in. I have Hooker shorties right now and 3/4" long Stage 8 locking bolts, and I can barely get some of the bolts started because they hit a primary tube. Plus, if the flange is any thicker than 3/8", a normal 3/4" header bolt don't thread into the head very far; then longer bolts would be needed and you're back to the first issue I mentioned.
Also, I wouldn't know the feasibility of the headers "bolting up" to both single and dual cat exhausts. It would seem awful difficult to me to make an efficient y-pipe with good ground clearance to bolt up to a single cat exhaust. Personally, if I went to LT headers, I'm getting duals too .
Old 12-19-2002, 11:23 PM

I am having a band clamp and lip welded on mine. The 3 bolt flange sits too low. I will also band clamp and bolt at the Y.

I am making a custom 3 inch ORP and custom 3 inch Y w/cats. Will be bolt in/out

Unfortunately, just the parts for this are running over 300$ so far...Car sound Cats, JBend from SLPOnline, VClamps + flared ends from Airflowonline.com.

BTW, the headers are awesome!

Perry

Quick Reply: I need your imput on new LT1 headers