Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales GPs/SALES CAN BE MADE BY SUPPORTING VENDORS OF THIS SITE ONLY!

I need your imput on new LT1 headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 04:35 PM

Lightbulb I need your imput on new LT1 headers

Jet Hot is designing the new long tube LT1 headers for the 93-97 Camaro/Firebirds. Our design is simular to the Hooker long tube headers. The headers will be 1 3/4 x3" collectors. The tubes will be 16 gauge(hooker's is 18gauge). The flange that bolts to the head will be 3/8 thick(hooker's is 5/16" thick). These will be non emission headers (we will look into egr tubes later next year). The headers will tube tuned. The headers will have the O2 bungs installed into both collectors (facing the outside). The headers will come with the standard bolts and gaskets.

Now the big questions:

Do you want the end of the collectors to have a 3 bolt flange or a slip on design.

We will look to make an off road Y pipe (and maybe a Y pipe with cats).

Is there any other changes you would like.

P.S.:
I need to know asap-we are making a pro type right now. Production will be right behind it.

Thanks
Chris
chris@jet-hot.com
Old 12-11-2002, 05:31 PM

I would like a hooker header with good ground clearance emissions equipment would be nice.

I like the slip on way my Mac's bolt up I had Hooker 3 bolt flange on my old truck and they were a pain and leaked. JMHO

If you could make a good ground clearance long tube especially with y-pipe and cats similar to the FLP that fits better for a good price (750-900)I'd be first in line
Old 12-11-2002, 05:41 PM

Awesome to hear! I am definately interested in a set with the off road pipe. Any ideas on cost? Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with the two types of collectors to say which I prefer. I'm sure there are plenty of guys that can say though.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:32 PM

I would definetely like to see it with a y-pipe with cats. That is my major problem with the hookers, so I have to get one custom made.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:41 PM

I think you're really missing the boat if you don't make them with emissions fittings. Those I'd wait for. Those would have a competitive advantage over the Hookers. The Hookers are already priced right, so you really need some kind of advantage to knock them off their throne. The y-pipe with cats would provide that and so would the other emissions bungs. JMO

TJ
Old 12-11-2002, 06:50 PM

Slipfit - less leaks but really either way would be fine. That is why they make RTV. Just nothing like the FLP setup. I hate that.

Also, for ideas.
1.) Y-pipe with cutouts built into them. I think this would be awesome and allow some cool felxibility especially for high HP applications.
2.) 3" Y-pipe all the way back.
3.) As much room for plugs as possible
4.) Tight to the floor as possible

I think that sums it up for me. $ and design willing, I am probbaly going to sell my headers for a set of yours.

Are you still expecting January?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:45 PM

What you really need to do is build me a set of long tube headers for my lt1 powered s-10.I dont need the egr or air fittings,I wont be picky..........

Last edited by slammed98gmc; 12-11-2002 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:05 PM

i think you guys should have 2 different sets...one with emissions fittings and one without. couldnt you simply pull some sets off the assembly line a little early so they miss the emissions crap or just have those guys that weld on them make some without??

also i think the slip fit would be the best solution. that would be an oversized 3" on the collector to fit over the 3" y-pipe instead of a slip where the 3" y-pipe fits over the collector...correct? that way you dont choke the flow when the exhaust enters the collectors.

you said O2 bungs on the outside of the collectors?? i think bung placement should be towards the inside of the car so the wires dont have to be routed around the hot collectors.

Last edited by turbo_Z; 12-11-2002 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by TonyJ
I think you're really missing the boat if you don't make them with emissions fittings. Those I'd wait for. Those would have a competitive advantage over the Hookers. The Hookers are already priced right, so you really need some kind of advantage to knock them off their throne. The y-pipe with cats would provide that and so would the other emissions bungs. JMO

TJ
I'm with Tony on this, (almost) everybody will want them with O2 bungs, but I think you will be surprised how many shorty customers would opt for LT's if the AIR and EGR provisions were made available.
As for the collecters, I would prefer the slip fit (mabe include a couple stainless band clamps too). I'm really glad to hear you folks are doing this. I have been very impressed with both the quality and service I've received from Jet-Hot in the past, and you can expect my order for the emission version LT and "Y' pipe as soon as they are available.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:43 PM

Yeah chris Im intrested in the EGR and Air fittings but i might order the ones without anyways. Gotta check and see how strict they are here with visual inspections.
Slip on over the 3 bolt flange anyday. Even with Red RTV it still started leaking again. The flange warps and the space between the bolts pull downward.

I would also be interested in the y-pipe with cats.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:20 AM

I'd would deffinatly buy them if they had O2 bungs and emission fittings built into them...would prefer the slip fit also
Old 12-12-2002, 03:04 AM

Thumbs up

Copy the design from Mac Headers w/ plug clearance but make em' LT's w/ the 1 3/4 primaries w/ cats or ORP and you'll have the best of both worlds.

I've got FLP's so it doesn't matter to me but most folks complain about plug and wire clearance and MAC's by far are the best w/ plug and wire clearance.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:08 AM

Personally I like the three bolt flange. i think theres too many things that can go wrong with the slip fit. In some cases the female pipe was too big and wasnt a snug fit. i think that could be eliminated by not having the slip fit for the y-pipe.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by MEAN LT1
Personally I like the three bolt flange. i think theres too many things that can go wrong with the slip fit. In some cases the female pipe was too big and wasnt a snug fit. i think that could be eliminated by not having the slip fit for the y-pipe.
It can also be eliminated by having a band clamp like those that come with the Borla catback systems.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:51 AM

I'd be down for a set without EGR/AIR fittings. I think I like the slip on design better as well. Biggest factor for me though, is ground clearance. Off road Y-pipe would be nice as well.

Quick Reply: I need your imput on new LT1 headers