Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Zaino: Tell me about it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:27 PM

Re: Zaino: Tell me about it.

Originally Posted by Lower
And aren't you a dealer of the Zaino product?

That's something I never understand. There are a few around here popping into every Zaino thread and counterpointing every bad opinion without a breath whispered that they are a distributer.

Anyway, if you are IMO you should be voicing that so people can weigh your opinion fairly. If not, my mistake - and my humble apologies for my confusion.
NO, I'm NOT a dealer, NEVER have been a dealer of Zaino. Your right people should get their facts right before they open their mouth and make a fool of themselves, kind of like you just did. You pretty much admit you don't have a clue, thinking Zaino is supposed to "hide" imperfections. NOTHING hides imperfections unless it is completely opaque, that would be called paint. Using fillers that will, for a very short time, fill in swirl marks can help but it isn't hiding chips. No matter what a person uses surface prep is critical in acheiving the best results.

I get tired of people Zaino bashing when it is usually obvious they have never used the product or used it wrong or expected it to be like a brand new paint job, geeez!!!! A couple of your comments pretty much show you don't have much of a clue. And if you didn't notice my saying that people should try different products and decide what they like best, then you are kind of spot reading just to make a point, even if it is wrong.

I tried dozens of products for over 30 years before skeptically trying Zaino several years ago. AND, if I can find something I think is better than Zaino, I'll use it.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin V 2002 SS
NO, I'm NOT a dealer, NEVER have been a dealer of Zaino. Your right people should get their facts right before they open their mouth and make a fool of themselves, kind of like you just did. You pretty much admit you don't have a clue, thinking Zaino is supposed to "hide" imperfections. NOTHING hides imperfections unless it is completely opaque, that would be called paint. Using fillers that will, for a very short time, fill in swirl marks can help but it isn't hiding chips. No matter what a person uses surface prep is critical in acheiving the best results.

I get tired of people Zaino bashing when it is usually obvious they have never used the product or used it wrong or expected it to be like a brand new paint job, geeez!!!! A couple of your comments pretty much show you don't have much of a clue. And if you didn't notice my saying that people should try different products and decide what they like best, then you are kind of spot reading just to make a point, even if it is wrong.

I tried dozens of products for over 30 years before skeptically trying Zaino several years ago. AND, if I can find something I think is better than Zaino, I'll use it.
You're out of line. I've never stated anything but my opinion, and you've done nothing but berate and belittle me because it differs from yours. Get off your high horse or get bent.

Show me where I said I expected Zaino to fill chips, or dings.
I said I have imperfect paint, not DAMAGED paint.

I followed the directions EXACTLY as stated on the Zaino website.
I tried alternate directions laid out carefully by a Zaino dealer.
And I used Z5, which, as stated on the Zaino website;

I have light swirls. I have faint spiderwebbing. I have slightly dulled paint on my mirrors.
You can twist my words all you want, but let me quote the Zaino website;

"Z-5 PRO fills and hides minor surface imperfections even better than before - owners of dark cars (black, blue, green, red) will take delight in knowing that with just a few simple applications, swirl marks, spider webbing, and other surface headaches will become nothing more than a distant memory."

"Layering improves the uniformity of the surface, hides and fills imperfections even better"

So excuse the hell out of me if the statements made on the Zaino website, I did not find accurate.

But let me be clear, since you seem to have trouble following me;

I followed the instructions on the Zaino site, to minimize the issues that Zaino claims Z-5 (and the entire "Kit-1" Zaino kit) will help minimize.
I saw no change.
I saw better improvement with another product.
The end.

Now before you pipe in touting how I didn't apply Zaino during the first full moon of the new year, I'd like to suggest you apologize for saying I didn't have my facts straight when it is clear that YOU don't have any of YOUR "facts" straight.
Until then, feel free to keep quiet.

Last edited by Lower; 09-01-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 PM

I've used, meguires, nxt, plain old turtle wax, their (premium stuff) almost every kind retail wax, cleaner, filler, sealant you can buy. I've used a lot of speciality products as well.

From what i've noticed working on silver and black is that zaino has a very bright shine but dosn't show very much contrast like more conventional waxes do. Lately i've only been using zaino on my black truck because I got lazy but honestly meguires and mothers look better because they show more reflective detail.

It really depends on you, if your cars outside you might have to wax it every 2-3 weeks depending on the temperature or rainfall. With zaino you'll have to do it no more then once a season.

As for Z5, they have a newer version out now thats suppost to fill better. In reality z5 dosn't work very well at all as a filler. I assume this is due to durability issues because z2 has to bond with it. Waxes that contain fillers DO work much better then zaino and are a good go between if your not interested in surface prep and want a simple solution.

Basically if you've got a bright colored car the solution is simple. SURFACE PREP and zaino. You'll get 99% of the return with 1/3 or less the effort.

If you've got a dark colored car its much more difficult. If its a garage queen I suggest surface prep and a good wax. It will without a doubt hold a deeper shine. If its out in the elements you can either wax every 2 weeks with an orbital buffer and a CLEANER wax or by hand with a filler type of wax or deal with the slight reduction is paint definition caused by using a sealant. However, if you do go the zaino route you MUST do surface prep because z5 sux.

I hope this helps
Old 09-02-2006, 12:39 PM

Lower, I'm not about to apologize for my opinions. The main fact you had wrong was saying I was a Zaino dealer, therefore implying I had an alterior motive for "praising" Zaino, which was COMPLETELY wrong. But you didn't mention anything about you being wrong about that did you. Like I said you pick and choose what you want to hear.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but you are a rare exception. I've actually filled a scratch in the clearcoat you could barely catch your fingernail on and I used several coats, it did take several, of the Z-5 and it gradually did fill in the scratch to the point I couldn't even find it again, that is a fact. But I don't remotely expect Zaino to be some "miracle" product, nobody with any sense would. Yes there are products that will fill in minor swirls and scratches for a very short time, but the durability is lacking. But if it works for you, that's what you should use.

Zaino has the most loyal following of any brand of car products, and has had for MANY years, there is a reason. For some reason it always comes out on top in independent tests. But Zaino isn't for everybody. Shine, etc. is in the eye of the beholder.

It may not have lived up to your high expectations, but, Zaino users couldn't care less what someone else uses. That is why I promote trying different products to find what each user likes best for them. Everyone should use what they like best. But you didn't acknowledge that part.

Now, what I really try to stress, as does every person who is truly **** about their car, whatever they use, is surface prep. 9 times out of 10 that will fix most surface problems people have. But you didn't acknowledge that part of my post either.

Now if you are wanting to take someone else's opinion as a personal attack that is your problem, grow up. This is a message board, where people are "supposed" to state their opinions and not everyone is going to agree with you. Don't be so insecure.

Also you mention that I do nothing but berate you, hell, that was my first response to you, that I am aware of, I've ever made.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:24 PM

The main fact you had wrong was saying I was a Zaino dealer, therefore implying I had an alterior motive for "praising" Zaino, which was COMPLETELY wrong.
I was mearly wondering if you were because (agree or not) you were pushing it. Saying you've tried other products and in 30 years Zaino works best may sound to you like you're telling others to use what they like -but to thinking people it will sound like you think Zaino is better than the 30 years worth of product you've tried.

But you didn't mention anything about you being wrong about that did you.
Err, I did. I profoundly apologized stating "If not, my mistake - and my humble apologies for my confusion." But I guess you only hear what you want to.

Sorry it didn't work for you...
...if [something else] works for you, that's what you should use.
Thanks. Thats what I am doing. And since people asked about Zaino I will feel free to give my opinion and experience. I've been careful to word them in non aggressive manner, but I expect flack for my opinion from you and others, because it differs from yours. Sucks we can't all voice our opinions.

Zaino has the most loyal following of any brand of car products, and has had for MANY years, there is a reason. For some reason it always comes out on top in independent tests. But Zaino isn't for everybody. Shine, etc. is in the eye of the beholder.
I suppose loyalty is in the eye of the beholder. 300 Zaino users doesn't surpass 30,000 Mequires (or any other car care product) users in my mind.
The difference in loyalty here is Zaino users tend to attck others when their opinions differ. Pretty much like you have.

Everyone should use what they like best. But you didn't acknowledge that part.
Do you need me to confirm the one part you've said in this discussion that is an agreeable point? Shall I go through my posts and point out all the points you have consistantly failed to acknowledge? Spare me.

Now, what I really try to stress, as does every person who is truly **** about their car, whatever they use, is surface prep. 9 times out of 10 that will fix most surface problems people have. But you didn't acknowledge that part of my post either.
Again, why would I? I do not disagree with that. And I did heavy surface prep before Zaino, but you don't want to acknowledge that either, because it MUST be the user. Or bad paint. Or something else. Because for some warped, cult-like brainwashed reason in your narrow mind, no one could possibly be dissappointed in Zaino for any other reason.

Now if you are wanting to take someone else's opinion as a personal attack that is your problem, grow up. This is a message board, where people are "supposed" to state their opinions and not everyone is going to agree with you. Don't be so insecure.
Standing up for oneself is not insecurity. Let me quote excatly what set me off, since you seem so full of yourself that you can't see it.

"Your right people should get their facts right before they open their mouth and make a fool of themselves, kind of like you just did"

"You pretty much admit you don't have a clue, thinking Zaino is supposed to "hide" imperfections."

"I get tired of people Zaino bashing when it is usually obvious they have never used the product or used it wrong or expected it to be like a brand new paint "

"A couple of your comments pretty much show you don't have much of a clue. "

Can you not see the cult mentality here? Can you not see how you continue to tell me it was MY fault Zaino didn't work, that I didn't know how to use Zaino, that I used it wrong, that I expected too much, and that I'm clueless, because I didn't care for Zaino? Hell you even tell me Zaino isn't supposed to "hide imperfections" when it states on the Zaino website that Z-5 is made to hide, minimize and fill in the issues that make my paint imperfect. The faint swirls and slight spiderwebbing, for instance. And it didn't do 1/10th of the job, (after many coats, and prep work) that NXT has done for me.

But because I have an opinion that Zaino isn't the be all to end all product for all people, and I have knowledge that it didn't work for me, I'm treated like someone less knowledgeable and you've attempted to make me feel "clueless".
Again; spare me. I don't play that game and you'd think a 50+ year-old like you wouldn't either.

This is the last I'll be replying in this thread. It won't be the last time I'll be voicing my opinion (and my FACTS) about Zaino when prompted.
The debate is over. I think that all the points have been made.
You can feel free to get the last word in, but I won't be reading it.

Last edited by Lower; 09-02-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:02 PM

Like I said, you should use what works for you. Everyone should try different things and use what THEY like best. That is what most Zaino users will tell people to do, that is what they did. I don't care who agrees or disagrees with my opinion. The competition between products is why all the favorite products are better today than they were 30 years ago. As I said, I tried dozens and Zaino is the best "to me". It is the only one that gives me everything I want from a product. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are. But I don't get upset if someone disagrees with me. I'll keep on trying products as I tell everyone else to do. If I can find something I like better than Zaino, I'll use it. This has only been a "issue" with you, not for me.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:36 PM

you don't have to spend $97 on zaino. all you really need is the Z2 and Zfx, and Z7 car wash.

i don't use the Z5 cuz i use a porter cable buffer and menzerna to remove light scratches from the clear coat before the zaino. you're also removing a layer of clear coat so can't do it often. i've only done it twice in 3 years. basically wash w/ dawn, then claybar (i used mcguires, don't matter) then buff w/ menzerna final polish II or intensive polish if required. followed by 1 or 2 coats Z2 that's it. it's a black camaro. maintenance is just 1 coat Z2 every 3-4 months if in the sun everyday

Last edited by stopthatman; 09-06-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM

I am a Zaino distributor, Lower, I don't know why you did not get the results you are looking for. If Z-5 did not cover or hide your swirl marks they were probably just too deep to be covered, they needed to be repaired with an abrasive product during the prep stage, prep is the key to getting a great finish. I have done demo's on black cars that were not washed or waxed for years, and Z-5 has always made a big improvement, but it's not spakle, it will only fill light scratches and swirls, it will not do anything for your faded paint on your mirrors, you need an abrasive paint cleanser after claying on those areas, Z-2 or Z-5 contain no cleaners or abrasives. I owned 36 detail shops in the 80's and 90's, we applied more Meguiar's products than anyone in the US for almost 10 years, and while Meguiar's products are good, our 28,000 repeat customers (that is our customer base, not Zaino's) are very pleased with the results they have been getting
Old 09-08-2006, 08:28 AM

For some reason, I never could get Zaino last very long until I used the Z-PC Fusion. I don't know why because I always followed the directions religiously. In May, I used Menzerna IP and Zaino PC on my wife's car for the first time. It made a world of difference in durability! I only got to do one coat of ZFX/Z2 Pro/Z8 due to time constraints also. After 3 months, water was still beading in nice tight little beads. I used Z8 maybe 3 times in that period also.

I highly recommend Z-PC.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Allen66
For some reason, I never could get Zaino last very long until I used the Z-PC Fusion. I don't know why because I always followed the directions religiously. In May, I used Menzerna IP and Zaino PC on my wife's car for the first time. It made a world of difference in durability! I only got to do one coat of ZFX/Z2 Pro/Z8 due to time constraints also. After 3 months, water was still beading in nice tight little beads. I used Z8 maybe 3 times in that period also.

I highly recommend Z-PC.
Many time if your Zaino is not last as long as it should (4-6 months) you need more surface prep, either claying or polishing with an abrasive product like Z-PC, it gets the surface "flatter" and the product will "grip" better and last longer. Probably what you are seeing.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:10 AM

welll, i just did my first application of zaino.... and wow, its very nice

best shine i've ever seen on a car i've owned... admittidly my car is only 1000 miles old... but damn, so smooth (i know all clay bars do that), but the shine is beautiful...

the z7 is also a very nice car wash, very easy to use
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM

Z7 is an outstanding car wash! That little bottle will last a long time!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by DWray
Dude, I'll Zaino your car for free if you bring it down and help me. I've always wanted to do a black car.

I don't like claybarring, so you may want to do that before you get here.

I'm not to far from TX.. might take you up on that, my car desperately needs a zaino'ing