Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Thinking of buying ZAINO; Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 09:50 PM

Question Thinking of buying ZAINO; Have Questions

I'm very interested in giving Zaino a try. I use and SWEAR by Durashine and Durawash. Absolutely NOTHING i've ever used has ever come close to it's shine and easy of use. The water does not BEAD off rather it sheets off so it dries without any water spots in a matter of minutes. Course, driving eventually adds bits of dust to the car and so I usually can just use a gentle stream of water and it's renewed back to before.

A person I know uses Durashine and then uses Meguiars Quik Detailer . It's a light spray you spray on and wipe dry. It REALLY reduces any dust forming around the car but it changes the water to BEAD... When this happens, it dries to ugly water spots..

So from the YEARS of listening and reading messages upon messages of ZAINO, I have decided to PERHAPS give it a try. I am mainly curious as to it's effectiveness in the long run.

However, I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate answered before I spent this amount (close to $200 Canadian!!!!)

I am in Canada, Vancouver BC to be exact.. If anyone knows Vancouver, BC. Canada they would know we have what has been said to be the WETTEST place in Canada.. We have rain practically everyday here...

As a result, and hearing that Zaino BEADS, I was wondering if these nasty water spots will show up right after a rainfall even with ZAINO?? If this is the case, it would mean I paid $200+ Canadian for ZAINO, spent hours applying it.. only to have nasty water spots as soon as it rains and dries ;-( DURASHINE doesn't dry with beads and so there aren't any water spots.. But bits of dust attract.. So I wanted to test out ZAINO because of the HUGE, HUGE HYPE.. :-)

Here is what DURASHINE does with my car:

http://www.camarosource.ca/new/new_l...cam92_back.jpg
http://www.camarosource.ca/new/new_l...ll_version.jpg
http://www.camarosource.ca/new/new_l..._cam92_top.jpg
http://www.camarosource.ca/new/new_l...92_r_front.jpg
http://www.camarosource.ca/new/new_l...cam92_hood.jpg
http://www.camarosource.ca/new/new_l...am92_front.jpg
http://www.camarosource.ca/new/new_l..._back_side.jpg

As you can see, DURASHINE does not bad a job.. So you can see why all the questions.. $200+ for another car shine is alot to pay if it will be basically the same as what I have now. ;-)

So here are my questions:

1. How many coats would you say you need to put on before you really notice a difference between the "competition"?

2. Do ugly water spots appear every time it rains and dries? (Vancouver would be BAD in this case)

3. How often would you say you have to ZAINO the car once it's been ZAINO'd? Do you do the entire routine over again? or mainly Zaino Wash it (Z-6)... If so, how often?

4. Comparison: Z-10 "LEATHER IN A BOTTLE" TREATMENT AND CONDITIONER compared to the stuff I use "Armor All Leather Care Protectant " (Approx. $10Cdn) ? Is Zaino Z-10 really worth the extra $$ (Approx. $20Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY")

5. Comparison: Z-12 CLEAR-VIEW GLASS POLISH: What exactly is this? Like Windex to clean the windows?
Z-14 PLASTIC-MAGIC CLEANER & POLISH: Is this really WORTH. (Approx. $22Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY")

6. Comparison: Z-14 PLASTIC-MAGIC CLEANER & POLISH: compared to the stuff I use "Turtle Wax Black Chrome Cleaner/Sealant" (Approx. $10Cdn) ? Is Zaino Z-14 really worth the extra $$ (Approx. $22Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY")

7. Comparison: Z-16 PERFECT TIRE GLOSS: compared to the stuff I use "Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Shine" (Approx. $14Cdn) (This large 473ml. bottle will EASILY Last 3 years or more) ? Is Zaino Z-16 really worth the extra $$ (Approx. $22Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY"). I've used other products but I want a SHINY look to the tires.. but one that won't attract dust like a magnet.. Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Shine" is absolutely incredible.. the shine is amazing.. but it's sticky and attracts dust somewhat.. Is Z-16 a high gloss shine or a small slight clean look.. not much to speak of..?

8. ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive: This is very confusing for me.. I cannot seem to find the answer to this question.. You apply Zaino Z-1 and then ZFX? It says it speeds up drying.. how much faster? Does this mean you don't have to let Z-1 dry for like 24 hours?? This stuff costs $30+ Canadian and it's only 2ML?!?!?!? That like a BUCK A DRIP.. That is way beyond rediculous.. it's smaller than my free 3ml sample of contact lend cleaner..

9. #314 CUSTOM 4x5 POLISH APPLICATOR: What exactly is this, A terry cloth towel? Is this worth it or just a regular Terry Cloth tower (%100 cotton from USA)?

10. Anyone here have pictures of all there products? To see a visual representation of the actual size of each of the products..? (here in Canada, we don't use OZ. we use ML.).. I'm curious to know what the applicator looks like.

If all these products are worth it.. I would be paying $133US ($201Cdn) for all *11* products. (Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, Z10, Z12, Z16, Z18, ZFX, & #314)...

Thanks very much for all your replies.

[This message has been edited by camarosource (edited June 28, 2002).]
Old 06-29-2002, 01:29 PM

First off, your car looks great!

On to your questions, I am by no way a Zaino pro but have recently started using the product. The Zaino causes the water to really bead up. If I am parked in a dusty area when this happens I get the usual dirt circles. As far as plain old water spots I have no problem with them.
The ZFX is a great product. Yes, I agree it seems crazy like a dollar a drop however one kit of ZFX does a whole 16oz bottle of Z2/Z5. I get two coats per oz so it does go a long way. You dont have to use the Z1 if you use the ZFX. You mix a couple drops per oz of Z2/Z5 into supplied bottle and shake well and apply.
I cant provide a pic but the bottles are 16oz and look just like the Durashine bottles(shape).
I usually put on two coats at a time now that I have the ZFX. It goes on and off so easy and quick its not a big deal at all.
I had been a diehard Meguires fan but after using Zaino I think it is worth it.

Good luck with what you choose and hopefully someone with more experience will answer all your questions.

[This message has been edited by 93 LT1 Formula (edited June 29, 2002).]
Old 06-29-2002, 08:08 PM

I answered your post over on the SSOA board but here it is again. Thank goodness for cut and paste ability.

1. How many coats would you say you need to put on before you really notice a difference between the "competition"?
I noticed a great shine with the first coat, it only gets better with each coat added and since Zaino stacks and doesn't wash off, you can keep adding coats and increasing the shine, protection and durability.

2. Do ugly water spots appear every time it rains and dries? (Vancouver would be BAD in this case)
Most of the time NO, but if you do, Zaino is so slick, the come right off with the Z-6 enhancer spray.

3. How often would you say you have to ZAINO the car once it's been ZAINO'd? Do you do the entire routine over again? or mainly Zaino Wash it (Z-6)... If so, how often?
The initial routine of wqashing with Dawn and claying is only the prep work, it isn't avtually a Zaino thing and should be done on occassion regardless of what product you use, BUT, the prep work is done the first time. An occassional light claying may be done a couple times a year to keep it smooth. You won't use Dawn again, which is used to remove the wax and oils, especially since the Dawn wouldn't remove the Zaino anyway.

4. Comparison: Z-10 "LEATHER IN A BOTTLE" TREATMENT AND CONDITIONER compared to the stuff I use "Armor All Leather Care Protectant " (Approx. $10Cdn) ? Is Zaino Z-10 really worth the extra $$ (Approx. $20Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY")
In time, Armor All will actually dry out and ruin what you use it on. The Z-10 conditioner can be used on the leather and entire interior, suchas dash, console, plastic panels, etc. The Z-10 won't attract and hold dust like AA does and it even has UV protection in it to help protect, instead of eventually ruining it as the AA will. The Z-9 leather cleaner is also great.

5. Comparison: Z-12 CLEAR-VIEW GLASS POLISH: What exactly is this? Like Windex to clean the windows?
Z-14 PLASTIC-MAGIC CLEANER & POLISH: Is this really WORTH. (Approx. $22Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY")
The Z-12 and Z-14 is a mild abrasive, the Z-12 for glass and Z-14 for hard plastics such as tail light lenses. I love the Z-12 it really works great. It is only used occasssionally to remove "build-up", it isn't a regular window cleaner like Windex. If you don't have any "dulled" tail light or headlight lenses I wouldn't worry about getting this yet.

6. Comparison: Z-14 PLASTIC-MAGIC CLEANER & POLISH: compared to the stuff I use "Turtle Wax Black Chrome Cleaner/Sealant" (Approx. $10Cdn) ? Is Zaino Z-14 really worth the extra $$ (Approx. $22Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY")
I've never used the TW product you mentioned so I'm not sure how to make a comparison.

7. Comparison: Z-16 PERFECT TIRE GLOSS: compared to the stuff I use "Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Shine" (Approx. $14Cdn) (This large 473ml. bottle will EASILY Last 3 years or more) ? Is Zaino Z-16 really worth the extra $$ (Approx. $22Cdn) or is it basically the same as what I use? (In other words, "SAVE YOUR MONEY"). I've used other products but I want a SHINY look to the tires.. but one that won't attract dust like a magnet.. Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Shine" is absolutely incredible.. the shine is amazing.. but it's sticky and attracts dust somewhat.. Is Z-16 a high gloss shine or a small slight clean look.. not much to speak of..?
The Z-16 isn't as wet or glossy looking. I'm not that wild about the "wet" look, to plastic looking for me. The Z-16 makes it look like a brand new tire. It also has UV protection in it to help preserve the tire. I even use it on all the weather stripping, it works great. The Z-16 won't sling off like most other tire products do and doesn't attract and hold dust. But it is a matter of taste.

8. ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive: This is very confusing for me.. I cannot seem to find the answer to this question.. You apply Zaino Z-1 and then ZFX? It says it speeds up drying.. how much faster? Does this mean you don't have to let Z-1 dry for like 24 hours?? This stuff costs $30+ Canadian and it's only 2ML?!?!?!? That like a BUCK A DRIP.. That is way beyond rediculous.. it's smaller than my free 3ml sample of contact lend cleaner..
With the ZFX additive you do not need the Z-1. You would want to use the ZFX additive at least the first application and a couple of times a year or any time you want to do multiple coats in a day (zero curring time with ZFX). The additive does indeed reduce drying time. If applied properly, very thin, the polish without the additive shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes to dry, unless it is VERY cold or incredibly humid. If it does it was applied too thick. With the ZFX additive, when applied as thin as recommended, where you started will be dry by the time you finish applying it to the entire car and if you are really good at applying it thin, 5-10 minutes.

9. #314 CUSTOM 4x5 POLISH APPLICATOR: What exactly is this, A terry cloth towel? Is this worth it or just a regular Terry Cloth tower (%100 cotton from USA)?
If you are using 100% cotton then there isn't a big benefit. I buy the Zaino pads by the dozen though, they are the best pads I've ever found.

10. Anyone here have pictures of all there products? To see a visual representation of the actual size of each of the products..? (here in Canada, we don't use OZ. we use ML.).. I'm curious to know what the applicator looks like.
I don't have a pic uploaded but a regular Coke/Pepsi can is 12 oz. if that helps you relate.

If all these products are worth it.. I would be paying $133US ($201Cdn) for all *11* products. (Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, Z10, Z12, Z16, Z18, ZFX, & #314)...
I'd recommend getting the Z-2 polish, the Z-6 enhancer spray, the Z-7 wash, the Z-18 clay and the ZFX as a minimum. With the ZFX you do not need the Z-1, though it is still a great pre-cleaner. Based on some of my responses you decide what else you'd like to try. But you will be better off using the Z-10 than AA, the Z-12 does work great on the getting the crud off the glass.

By the way, if water only sheets off your car and does not bead, you have NO protection on your car. Zaino is the best protection you'll find. I could relate some great stories but my fingers are tired. If you have more questions just post them.

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY
Old 07-14-2002, 01:14 PM

Put on Zaino.. Absolutely speachless!! DAMN

Questions:

#1. I applied the Z2/Z5/Z6 on my windows.. Is this ok? Left them absolutely CLEAR but perhaps it's not needed and to just use my Z12 (Clear-View Glass Polish)?

#2. I used only 1/2 oz. on the ENTIRE CAR with 1 coat (including windows) and only 1/4 oz. for my second coat (Including windows).. Did I use too LITTLE? I know it's less than 1 oz. per coat on a car but 1/4 - 1/2oz. sounds like I should have applied more per coat?

#3. Z12 Clear-View Glass Polish says to use on NON-COATED windows.. What's this mean? Aren't front Windshields coated for a bit of tint? Windshields always displace water off them but differently than on the back or front. I have NO aftermarket tinting on any of my windows.

#4. How many times would you say you have gotten use out of your Z18 Clay bars? I found it tended to break into little pieces by the time I was finished claying the entire car. Each clay bar, how many times did you do your car with it? Before you had to go to the second clay bar inside the container.

#5. Z6 says you can use it to polish plastic.. Can I use it to polish the plastic air induction box on my 5.7L TPI V8?

Thanks for your time,

------------------
1992 Camaro Z28 v8 350. Blue/silver racing stripes, ASCD Iroc Daytona Fiberglass hood. Flowmaster otherwise stock.

Webmaster:
http://www.camarosource.ca

Over 700 Pages for your viewing pleasure. Complete Resource Site
for all Chevrolet Camaro Years and Models, Including RARE Camaro's
and Hard to find information. Free Email, Msg Board, Live Chat, and a Huge variety of Information.

JOIN Our Camaro TOP 50 List and get your site RANKED #1