Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Several more black car waxing questions, still new at this color.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:20 PM

Cool Several more black car waxing questions, still new at this color.

I am still trying to get use to the black paint. I have some questions and would appreciate any help.

1. What is the best hairline/swirl mark remover for black cars? I have heard a lot about 3M and I need something that is compatable with Zaino. What do you guys use on your black cars?

2. I always use the correct 100% cotton towels and I know how to detail my cars. My last car was red and that was a challenge as well. But what I want to know is, is it impossible to prevent small hairline scratches is black paint? I wax my car with zaino all the time, several times a week, but it still seems that no matter what you use on your surfuce, you will still get small light hairline scratches. What can I do about this?

Thanks for your help, this black car is a great deal of work, but worth it.

Jon
Old 09-18-2003, 01:07 PM

Re: Several more black car waxing questions, still new at this color.

Originally posted by Superfly97
I am still trying to get use to the black paint. I have some questions and would appreciate any help.

1. What is the best hairline/swirl mark remover for black cars? I have heard a lot about 3M and I need something that is compatable with Zaino. What do you guys use on your black cars?

I use 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009, but you will need to wash the car with Dawn after its use to remove the extra oils in the 3M so the Zaino will stick. If you do it correctly you will only need to use the 3M once and when you perfect your system of towels, washing, and Zainoing you would use the 3M again.

2. I always use the correct 100% cotton towels and I know how to detail my cars. My last car was red and that was a challenge as well. But what I want to know is, is it impossible to prevent small hairline scratches is black paint? I wax my car with zaino all the time, several times a week, but it still seems that no matter what you use on your surfuce, you will still get small light hairline scratches. What can I do about this?

You are not using the correct towels if you are getting scratches, just saying I am using cotton towels is not good enough, some do not have soft enough nap or too little nap, not all towels are made the same. I only use Supima cotton toweling (this is like a 15 to 20 dollar towel each) and I also use the www.dftowel.com as I sell and make both of them, I only sell what I use myself.

Also, it is best to wash a black car with a cotton wash mit, I have these also and sometimes you can find them in NAPA.

The most important park about black is your toweling. And you need to know it is not best to work on black paint when the surface is very hot. You also do not need to rub on the paint with a dry cloth or when the paint is dusty. A California Car Duster is my saving grace for my black vehicles.

Thanks for your help, this black car is a great deal of work, but worth it.

Jon
Old 09-18-2003, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. I currently use a cotton mit for washing and I use 100% cotton towels like Fieldcrest and Royal velvet. Are those not good enough? When I was on here with my camaro acouple of years ago, those were the best then. Maybe I have been away too long? I have also heard that the 3M is very hard to use and you can actually put scratches in your paint. I do everything by hand, not a buffer. Are my towels ok?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 09-18-2003, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I currently use a cotton mit for washing and I use 100% cotton towels like Fieldcrest and Royal velvet. Are those not good enough? When I was on here with my camaro acouple of years ago, those were the best then. Maybe I have been away too long? I have also heard that the 3M is very hard to use and you can actually put scratches in your paint. I do everything by hand, not a buffer. Are my towels ok?

Thanks,

Jon
Your towels sound fine, make sure you wash them in liquid detergent and not powder.

Any abrasive compound will put scratches in the finish by nature, but the idea is to put smaller scartches in the paint that covers and feathers larger ones. If you are doing the entire car and want an even finish an orbital will be a must.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:22 PM

Thanks Kevin, I would definitly want to do the orbital buffer, but I don't have experience in it much less I don't know anybody who does as well.

One more thing, how long of a life can I get out of my towels? I do wash them with liquid non bleach and do not use a drying sheet.

Thanks again!

Jon
Old 09-18-2003, 04:24 PM

Thanks Kevin, I would definitly want to do the orbital buffer, but I don't have experience in it much less I don't know anybody who does as well.

One more thing, how long of a life can I get out of my towels? I do wash them with liquid non bleach and do not use a drying sheet.

Thanks again!

Jon
towels usually last me about a year
Old 09-19-2003, 01:58 PM

I like to use the orbital for APPLYING the wax/polish. Rubs it in much better and saves my arms. I follow up by hand-wiping the wax off with a good towel.

Orbital buffers are great, and spin in a fashion where you can hurt your paint. Just make sure your buffing pads are CLEAN and free of dirt. Don't be afraid of it, go out and buy one. You'll be glad you did.