Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Paint hardening/waxing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:50 PM

Paint hardening/waxing question

Thankfully, this does NOT involve my Z28...which still has all the factory perfect paint in its perfect factory state

My Grand Prix had to have the driver's side repainted (long story), and was painted about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Since then I have witnessed the following...

1) A slight brush of a sweatshirt touching the trunklid on its way in the trunk was enough to put a buff mark in it.
2) Not one but two stone chips have happened since it was painted...one of which is near the LR wheel arch of all places! I know its a stone chip because it happened after a 240 mile ride home.

Taking into account New England weather with its 35-45 degree temperatures right now, how long before this paint hardens enough that it isn't as frail as a little old lady? How long before I can wax it? The shop said 4 weeks, but I sincerely doubt that...I'm 2 1/2 weeks in and looking at it crosseyed gives it a buff mark somewhere.

Thanks for anyone's help. I know this is not a Camaro or 'Bird, but this board has way more people who know way more than any GP board I've ever seen!
Old 11-18-2003, 11:15 PM

the time you wait to wax depends on the hardener used. i would say wait the 4 weeks the body guy told u too. my dad doesnt really suggest a time to wax it but no one really asks him when he does the work. i think my cousin waxed his too soon and it made his clear coat real fragile. bird **** and other stuff is real hard to take off. hes had to buff some of it out befor and this is a year after the paint job. if u get some scratches in the new paint because it wasnt waxed you can get it buffed out. my dad doesnt really think it matters how long you wait but i do. if u got any of the paint left your best bet is used the but end of a paper match to touch in the chip real carful. then clear it. thats how i would do it.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'll move this over to the Show and Shine forum. This forum is for Appearance modifications like wheels, hoods, etc. The Show and Shine forum is where they talk about waxin'
Old 11-19-2003, 06:30 PM

I had a coop placement in high school at a really good body shop that does alot of restoration work and they always said wait ATLEAST 3 months before waxing.You can polsh scratches out before 3 months but don't wax it.This applied to base clear as well as acrylic enamel paint.As for the 2 stone chips just touch them up with a really small brush.If the shop didn't give you a bottle of touch up paint out of what was left over go back and ask them for one.They probably have a little sitting around somewhere just get a tiny bit of clear and then wet sand it in a few weeks.