Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Need recomendations buffer/polisher

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Need recomendations buffer/polisher

My mother-in-law said she get me a buffer/polisher for my birthday but needed to know what kind to get. The problem is - I don't know either. I haven't gotten too into detailing so I'm not sure what to look for.

Any recomendations? Post pics and links too if possible.

Keep in mind I'm not looking to start a side business either, just something that will make waxing and polishing the Z a bit easier and more professional.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Porter Cable 7424XP
Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 PM

Re: Need recomendations buffer/polisher

Ok u say u r not trying to start a business, ut that doesn't answer what u need the "buffer" to do. Do u need to really get into the paint and move it around? Or do u just want to have something that will spread wax areound and help with very minor scratches and slight swirling? If u want to move paint get a buffer that resembles an angle grinder, dewalt, milwaukee, lots of good ones out there, just make sure u don't buy an angle grinder, too much torque, way too many rpm's. U would probably be better served to to get the orbital waxer buffer polisher if u don't have experience with an actual buffer u can injur yourself, tear of mirrors, I've even seen some poor guy put his buffer through his new corvettes hud windshield, sound like fun? My advice, if u want a buffer, then u find a pos car with bad paint, u practice on it, stay away from antennas until u get the hang of using the buffer, don't muscle it, learn to use it smoothly. It can take a while, and it can be well worth it. But rush it and u can do some major damage, no joke.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Brandon is right. If you are going to really smooth paint you need something that looks like an angle grinder. Just make sure it comes with a pad adapter, not a grinding wheel. Then you go to an auto paint store and buy a wool or foam buffing pad. The clerks will usually be able to advise you. I got a very functional one from Harbor Freight for $50.00. It has a hook and loop pad adapter for a 10 inch pad and is variable speed up to 2400 rpm. With compound it works good in removing orange peal. But if you are not very careful, you can do a lot of damage. If you are just waxing an orbidal polisher is safe and easy to use.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 PM

For a professional-quality buffer, I like the Dewalt. I wanna say they go for around $250 or so, but I got mine years ago, so my memory is a bit foggy. However, this type of unit is geared towards professional autobody techs and detailers. From what you've said, it sounds like you'd be better off with a simple orbital polisher. These are designed for applying wax and mild polishes, and are better suited to someone not familiar with wetsanding and buffing. Units like the Dewalt I mentioned above can and will ruin your vehicle's paint in short order if the operator is not familiar with their use. It's VERY easy to burn through the paint, swirl the **** out of it, snag it on a mirror, and/or injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing. In short, get the cheapie orbital waxer/polisher.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Porter cable or Groits