Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Looking for advice on how to make a 98' shine deep

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:28 PM

Looking for advice on how to make a 98' shine deep

Like the title says.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300594/5

The october 05 pics are the newest

since I bought the car I've just washed it weekly then waxed it 2x every other month with a good carnuba paste wax, the car looks awsome! very deep and shiny for .......2 days, then it looks just clean, not as shiny.

The car is still smooth as glass, and has a good finish, but what should I do? I think it needs some kind of mid life "breaking down" and re-starting, I dont know much about clay baring, or if thats necessary or the dangers or about the product "zaino" that everyone raves about. I'm not worried about cost, I just want to do it right and have the deep shine last.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 PM

Re: Looking for advice on how to make a 98' shine deep

You will have to start with the basics. The best way would be to evaluate your paint to see how much of an improvement you desire.

IMO the best thing that you could do is to invest in a pc or rotary (I recommend porter cable 7424, and a set of pads that will consist of a cutting pad, a polishing pad, and a buffing or waxing pad). Then select one or two or a system of polishes that will clean and remove your previous wax or sealant build-up, and will work into the paint to remove any fine swirls, streaks, and even light scratches. You should also get another milder polish to clean up and smoothen the paint.

After your paint has been thoroughly polished and cleaned, you will be ready for your wax or synthetic sealant.

That is what you will need to start with in order to get the most out of your paint. I would also recommend that you take a visit to www.autopia.org and get familiar with some of the ins and out of products that are discussed on the board. Also look into the review section and get some ideas on the various polishing, wax or sealant, and detailing products that you can buy.

Once you are fairly sure on how you want to approach your detail, then plan out your method of attack and conquer, and go to it.

Good luck. You will also find that you will learn new things as you progress into your detailing regimen.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by lbls1
You will have to start with the basics. The best way would be to evaluate your paint to see how much of an improvement you desire.

IMO the best thing that you could do is to invest in a pc or rotary (I recommend porter cable 7424, and a set of pads that will consist of a cutting pad, a polishing pad, and a buffing or waxing pad). Then select one or two or a system of polishes that will clean and remove your previous wax or sealant build-up, and will work into the paint to remove any fine swirls, streaks, and even light scratches. You should also get another milder polish to clean up and smoothen the paint.

After your paint has been thoroughly polished and cleaned, you will be ready for your wax or synthetic sealant.

That is what you will need to start with in order to get the most out of your paint. I would also recommend that you take a visit to www.autopia.org and get familiar with some of the ins and out of products that are discussed on the board. Also look into the review section and get some ideas on the various polishing, wax or sealant, and detailing products that you can buy.

Once you are fairly sure on how you want to approach your detail, then plan out your method of attack and conquer, and go to it.

Good luck. You will also find that you will learn new things as you progress into your detailing regimen.
I couldn't have said it better.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 AM

Hey Chris,

Are you anywhere near the Trenton, NJ. area? I'm about 15 min. away. Maybe I can help? I'm a BIG proponent of Zaino...use it on all the cars in the family, and do alot of detailing business as a result. May be able to help you out?

Ed
Old 11-23-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by '99 SS
Hey Chris,

Are you anywhere near the Trenton, NJ. area? I'm about 15 min. away. Maybe I can help? I'm a BIG proponent of Zaino...use it on all the cars in the family, and do alot of detailing business as a result. May be able to help you out?

Ed
I'm about an hour north of trenton (What exit is trenton? off the turnpike?)

lbls1, thanks!!! I'm checking that site out right now! I have a wheel from when I use to own a big boat, I was on the zaino site last night, looks to me like it will be a multi step process, which is fine, as long as it holds up and looks good

Last edited by Chrisz24; 11-23-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 AM

Not a problem. Once you've gotten your paint polished up and streak free, you'll be ready for anything. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Chris, not aure of the exit #.

Here's a "Zaino" pic. Great stuff!

Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 PM

It's only multi-step in that Zaino recommends prepping the surface first. Once prepped, wash, dry, apply, let dry, remove then use the detailer. It is very easy to apply and remove Zaino. Zaino is also the most durable product I've ever found.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:04 PM

I cant thank you guys enough! I'm going back to school in january and the car is one of the projects I want to have done before I dont have as much free time

Ok, before I place an order I just want to ask what I should buy and what order I should apply it!

-ZFX Or Z1? whats better for my application? are both necessary? and what order?

-Z2 probably need.

-Z5 swirl remover, (do I use this before or after a coat of Z2?)

-Z18 Clay bar (is their a cheeper one could buy local?)

-is Z6 necessary? I never liked detailing sprays.

-and is Z7 necessary? or can I just substitute my standard car wash stuff since that little bottle wont last very long.

Thanks again so much!
~Chris
Old 11-23-2005, 11:05 PM

I must say I hate Zaino hype, so I'm going to show you that its not your only choice to get a great looking car.

That is Poorboys EX-P and Natty's blue
Old 11-23-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisz24
I cant thank you guys enough! I'm going back to school in january and the car is one of the projects I want to have done before I dont have as much free time

Ok, before I place an order I just want to ask what I should buy and what order I should apply it!

-ZFX Or Z1? whats better for my application? are both necessary? and what order?

-Z2 probably need.

-Z5 swirl remover, (do I use this before or after a coat of Z2?)

-Z18 Clay bar (is their a cheeper one could buy local?)

-is Z6 necessary? I never liked detailing sprays.

-and is Z7 necessary? or can I just substitute my standard car wash stuff since that little bottle wont last very long.

Thanks again so much!
~Chris
I dont know much about Zaino, but from what I do know...

You need either Z1 or ZFX (I would get ZFX)

Z2 is definetly needed

Z5 doesn't remove swirls, it just fills them in. I would use a polish and truely get rid of them or you wont get a truely flawless finish (as seen below).

You can get a clay bar locally, cheaper, mothers kit is good and around $20 for a bar, lube, and wax

Z6 IMO is necessary if you go with the Zaino system (from what I've heard and seen, its good stuff) BTW what detail sprays have you tried?

Z7 is not necessary

I would definitely do some research on Autopia before you order Zaino. Zaino can be a PITA to work with and there are many other options that will give you a look, you might like better. Check out the Click and Brag part of Autopia to see what stuff looks like on cars. And I'll leave off with Zaino is not necessarily the best!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:16 AM

if you want depth out of your vehicle your going to need to polish it. As stated on the zaino site zaino is 99% optically clear or something like that so your not going to get any depth out of zaino. If your looking for something that'll give you a lot of depth try out some of teh meguiars polishes, clearkotes vanilla moose is a glaze but adds depth. Or you could also try All In One Cleaner Polish then seal and that adds some depth as well.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 6']['9
if you want depth out of your vehicle your going to need to polish it. As stated on the zaino site zaino is 99% optically clear or something like that so your not going to get any depth out of zaino. If your looking for something that'll give you a lot of depth try out some of teh meguiars polishes, clearkotes vanilla moose is a glaze but adds depth. Or you could also try All In One Cleaner Polish then seal and that adds some depth as well.
Thats interseting to know

I ran into a problem ordering the zaino, they dont ship to New Jersey so I sent them an e mail.

I've never "polished" a car, I'm lost their, do you polish then wax? or just polish? I'm going to stop at autozone in the next few days.

Depth is definately what I'm after, I also want it to be deep shiny and bright, it's tough with the cayenne red since it just makes you think the car is ment to be faded or dark when it should be bright.

Keep it coming guys, I'm going to look at the meguires site.

~Chris
Old 11-24-2005, 03:11 PM

This is the process for a proper detail
Wash
Clay bar
Polish with an abrasive polish
Cleanse Paint (optional)
Seal and or Wax

If you dont want to spend a lot of $ on polishing supplies ($150+ on polisher, pads, polish) then I would buy Megs Scratch X and use that on the whole car. Scratch X works pretty well for removing swirls. After polishing I would seal and wax. I would highly recomend looking into autopia.org for more info.
You can buy some quality detailing supplies here too http://www.autogeek.net/
Old 11-25-2005, 08:10 AM

Chris,

If Zaino will not ship w/in NJ, I have a distributor who is very good and will have your Zaino out to you asap.

Also, I like using Zaino because if I have a question, I am able to speak to Sal Zaino directly.

And finally, if used correctly, Zaino is the easiest product I've ever used.

Here are 2 options as far as what you'd want to get IMO;

1. ZFX;Z2;Z5;Z6;Z18 Totals around $79.00
2. Zaino Kit-1 Totals around $85.00

Zaino is my choice for my cars as well as the cars I detail for customers. IMO, it shines the best and outlasts anything I've used in the past.

Opinions will vary, so decide what's best for you. If your were closer, I'd be happy to show you in person what a great product Zaino is.

Ed

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on how to make a 98' shine deep