Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

I've been using Zaino for 10 years... what's new and good on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 PM

I've been using Zaino for 10 years... what's new and good on the market?

I just want to see what else I'm missing.

The only other wax I've really used recently is NXT... I think that's what it was called... the expensive 'tech wax' stuff. I was pretty impressed by the look but not the durability.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:48 AM

NXT 2.0 is supposed to have more durability FWIW.

Lots of good products out there, but nothing wrong with sticking with what works I still use Zaino religiously on all my vehicles.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by PSU 98
NXT 2.0 is supposed to have more durability FWIW.

Lots of good products out there, but nothing wrong with sticking with what works I still use Zaino religiously on all my vehicles.
How can I tell what is NXT 2.0 vs what is the original version? Are both versions still on the market? I used NXT about 2 years ago... I'm guessing that was version 1?

If you saw my other thread, I got pretty frustrated with Zaino last night. It caused major streaking and made me rewash the whole car just to reduce the streaks. I've been meaning to try something new for a while anyway... just to keep things fresh. I may try the new version of NXT to see what I think of the durability. It definitely produced a nicer looking result.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 AM

Lots of guys have the detailing product that they like to use more than others... Me, I've been using AUTOGLYM for all of my own, and my customer's vehicles for over 5 years. Their "radiant wax" is a beeeeautiful product that applies easily, has a mild polish to it, and comes off effortlessly. End result: Quick application process, with fantastic long term results. I'd highly recommend it!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM

P21s for wax. Its $45 for 6 ounces. This years new formula is much better. A thousand times easier to get on and off. Before it was one of their main issues.
Merzena is good for polishes and compounds. I could go on and on.
Wolfgang, pinnacle, klasse. Most are german.
I use 3m mainly for compounds/polishes. But dont limit myself to them, P21s for wax and than Klasse's paint sealent.
Dont screw around with Meguires or eagle one.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM

you said your stuff was older... zaino has an updated z2 and z5, also couple new things.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
P21s for wax. Its $45 for 6 ounces. This years new formula is much better. A thousand times easier to get on and off. Before it was one of their main issues.
Merzena is good for polishes and compounds. I could go on and on.
Wolfgang, pinnacle, klasse. Most are german.
I use 3m mainly for compounds/polishes. But dont limit myself to them, P21s for wax and than Klasse's paint sealent.
Dont screw around with Meguires or eagle one.
NXT is no good? I heard lots of people raving about it when it first came out though I haven't heard as much about it recently.

I've definitely seen P21s mentioned on a lot of detailing forums.. though $45 for 6 ounces is steep, if I can get 6 jobs out of that then it's not too over the top.

What's the point of a paint sealant? Durability? Does that go on after the wax? How does it change the durability of P21s by itself? Like is it 4 months without, 8 months with, or something? Or is it just for looks?

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
you said your stuff was older... zaino has an updated z2 and z5, also couple new things.
They're always updating things it seems but I never can see any difference. I've got the newer Z2 formula but not the newest, IIRC... it's about 2 years old. For reference I got Z16 with that order and I think I remember it had been out for less than a year at the time.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:45 PM

NXT 2.0 is clearly labeled as such. It's supposed to have better durability than the original NXT. From what I've heard, NXT just didn't "bead" as well as NXT 2.0, so people assumed that it had already worn away. NXT is formulated to bead much longer (Meguiar's calls it hydrophobic sealant or something like that) so it keeps everyone happy. Basically they're both a synthetic/carnauba blend. I really like the stuff for look, cost, ease of use, and availability.

Sealants like Zaino, Tropi-Care, some Meguiar's stuff, etc., are synthetic and are very durable. Waxes that are carnauba-based (P21s, Pinnacle Souveran, etc.) are natural products that some people prefer for a better look but have less durability than synthetics (you should apply them more often).

Most waxes can be layered over a synthetic sealant for depth, but many of the quality sealants are so good alone that it really isn't worth the extra effort.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:20 PM

So you'd recommend NXT 2.0 (I'm guessing it's a sealant) over P21s if I only want to have to apply twice a year but still want a nice looking and well protected car?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM

I believe that NXT is a more a sealant. You could apply some P21S (wax) over the NXT (sealant), but I'd bet you wouldn't see a big difference. You could apply some Meguiar's Show Car Glaze over NXT for some extra "pop" if it's worth the effort for you. Now if you only want to apply twice a year I'd stick with Zaino or Tropi-Care and call it a day. None of the wax products or NXT are going to give you anywhere near that kind of durability.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 PM

I've been happy with an assortment of products. Tropi-Care, Wolfgang, Menzerna and Souveran make a lot of good stuff that I mix with what I like to work with.

-Brian
Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Threxx, I am still here if you need me. We at Zaino have many new products, Z-2 and Z-5 both versions PRO now, Clear Seal, Z-8 Spray Seal, Zaino All in One to name a few.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:22 PM

I've done both my parents cars with regular NXT about a year ago and they both bead up still in the rain. Of course I do many more/ frequent on my own car.

Q doing 2 coats of NXT, is it worth it? or doesnt layer?

Q I have mothers pure Carnuba and I bought it to put over the NXT but it doesnt make much difference. Am I wasting my time?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 PM

I don't think "layering" multiple coats of NXT would make too much difference. Applying a coat of carnauba over it might give some extra gloss on some colors. I'm not real big on layering different products unless you want that extra little bit for a show or something.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM

I can do 20 cars with 6 ozs of P21s. Klasse sealent if for protection. It lasts 6-9 months, where as the p21s wax protects for 6wks. The p21s is all about shine, its pretty much 100% carnuba so its not designed to protect, hence why i put on a sealent for protection.
I also use p21s' paint work cleanser. Which is just a light polish but I really like how it looks when you put on the wax right after. (sometimes I dont even glaze the car)

www.autogeek.com

They have lots of good stuff there. They carry almost all of the high quality german companies. (pinnable, Merzena, Sonus, Klasse, etc)

As far as putting a few coats of wax on its only going to work with a pure carnuba or something almost pure. Other waxes, (especially cheap waxes) have many ingredients. Detergents, cleaners, sealents, etc. Thats why they tell you you only have to use two-three times a yr. Because Iit will be a all in one.

So in short. 2-3 coats from anything meguires or eagle one makes will probably not make too big of a difference. But if you put on 3 coats of p21s or zanio, or anything else high quality it will get better and better. But you need wait 24hrs between coats.( with p21, not sure about zanio, dont use)

Last edited by slomarao; 06-11-2008 at 11:26 AM.