Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

How do I get rid of interior mothball smell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:45 AM

Question How do I get rid of interior mothball smell?

When I stored my Camaro for the winter, my dad poured like, half a box of mothballs inside (front seat, back seat & trunk) to keep critters away. I'm assuming he had never used them before, because now my car reeks of mothballs and I don't know what to do to get rid of the smell!!!!!! I've tried to let it air out, the few nice days we've had when it's not raining.

I've tried 1/3 parts vinegar to 2/3 parts water and sprayed the crap out of the inside, and let it air dry in the sun. It STILL didn't help!!! Does anyone have ANY suggestions to get RID of the smell and not just cover it up? I think I'll have to resort to getting it detailed, but I don't know how much that costs. I'm getting frustrated!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 AM

Maybe Febreeze? Try to find something that is a De-odorizer and not just a cover up. I have never been in your boat but that is the first thing I would try.

Good Luck
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 AM

shampoo the carpet? oust?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM

I've never smelled mothballs, i was j/ wondering how u got their tiny legs apart??
Old 04-16-2008, 02:16 PM

I would try cleaning the entire interior. First, start with an odor eliminator, Meguiar's used to have one in a clear spray bottle, liquid was gold (haven't seen that around in a while). Shampoo the carpets and let them dry, vacuum it, clean the dash and windows and if it has leather I would try Zaino Z9 and Z10. They contain actual leather oils so its not a mask to the odor. That should probably do it.

I am sure u know this now, but I wouldn't let him put mothballs back in my car.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by lt1s10blazer
I've never smelled mothballs, i was j/ wondering how u got their tiny legs apart??

caterpillar ****.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 PM

i spray lysol with the red plastic piece on the end of the can. this way you can spray it down into the air vents. Soak each one, than turn on the car, full heat and let it sit and dry out.
Mil dew, bacteria, fungi and just bs builds up in these places. This is my best method to date.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:16 PM

im an idiot. I thought your issue was coming from the air vents. I would get out all the seats, and anything you can remove from the interior. Than soak the snot out of everything and scrup it. Vaccum it and see what happens. If it still wont come out than you need to go to a detail shop with an extractor. (Hot water steam cleaner) it will gets anything out of carpet. Stains, smells, whatever. Should run you 40-60 for the whole interior.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:56 PM

Re: How do I get rid of interior mothball smell?

Originally Posted by Bebegurrl82
When I stored my Camaro for the winter, my dad poured like, half a box of mothballs inside (front seat, back seat & trunk) to keep critters away. I'm assuming he had never used them before, because now my car reeks of mothballs and I don't know what to do to get rid of the smell!!!!!! I've tried to let it air out, the few nice days we've had when it's not raining.

I've tried 1/3 parts vinegar to 2/3 parts water and sprayed the crap out of the inside, and let it air dry in the sun. It STILL didn't help!!! Does anyone have ANY suggestions to get RID of the smell and not just cover it up? I think I'll have to resort to getting it detailed, but I don't know how much that costs. I'm getting frustrated!!!
We are having the same problem. We've tried everything. Every time someone goes in the car for a few minutes we come out smelling like mothballs. Driving it makes our nose and eyes burn. The order is in our garage and now familyroom. I really would like to enjoy this beautiful car that has so many memories we bought from family but the smell is intolerable for us all. I'm also concerned about health issues. Were you able to find anything that got rid of the fumes.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:27 PM
Administrator

“Bebegurll82” hasn’t signed into this site since 2008 !
Old 04-05-2022, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tonya Sargent
We are having the same problem. We've tried everything. Were you able to find anything that got rid of the fumes.
I had a problem with a cigarette smell in my 2002 Camaro SS when I bought it. I used a Mequiar's Air Re-Freshener bomb to remove all traces of the oder. You use to be able to it find at Walmart or order it on line. Here's a link that gives more information about the product. Just follow the directions on the box.