Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

F**K Zaino!!! Crap RUINED my paint!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 02:55 PM

I agree with the post above about the possibility that the scratches were there before.

It is not uncommon for both individuals and car lots to use hand glaze to cover scratched and swirl-marked paint to make a car look great.

These glazes are only good for a short time and after a wash or two, all of the scratches are clearly visible.

I wouldn't be surprised that they were there before and the Dawn stripped the glaze.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:29 PM

I am sure a few people remember the problems I had with Zaino last year when I first tried it on my SS. I even got a call from Mr Sal Zaino himself and he was very helpful. You have a right to be mad but give the guy a call he will help you.

Tom
Old 06-03-2002, 05:00 PM

I've yet to see any proof or pictures that this happenned.

------------------
'97 Trans Am Mystic, A4 13.41 @ 102.9
Minor engine mods - Hooker Long tubes, ASP underdrive pulley, K&N CAI, Hooker Cat-back, Custom y-pipe, MSD 8.5mm wires (Over the valve covers)
1LE suspension (springs, swaybars, elbow), BMR LCA's and PHR, Granatelli STB
Appearance Mods Polished Valve Covers, Konig Flight rims (17x9.5), Clear corners, Macewen Silver Guages
www.streetillusionsracing.com
My Page
Install Page
Old 06-05-2002, 12:14 AM

Red face

First off, let me say that I am sorry to hear of your troubles man. Secondly, here is a similair story, though not involving Zaino. My friend just bought a used red Miata. It had at one point had pinstripes, and all that was left was the glue running down the sides of the car. I told him that if he claybarred it, he could probably get them off. I instructed him to be very careful to keep it lubed, etc. The next day I got an irate call from him telling me that I talked him into screwing up his paint. I went right over to see for myself. The car was covered in scratches and the claybar was now red. My first reaction was to assume he hadn't properly lubed the bar, so I attempted a section that he had not touched. Sure enough, the claybar was turning red and scratches were showing up. So we dawned the car again, and used a white towel to buff it. That turned red too. After calling the former owner he admitted to using some type of red wax to cover the poor condition of the paint. That just goes to show that, unfortunatley, when buying a used car you may be taken advantage of. I have never used Zaino but most of my friends have. I am willing to bet it was a pre-existing condition that was covered up. Again, I am sorry to hear of your luck.

------------------
99 V6 camaro,
Arrest Me Red,
monsoon system,
M5,
Yellow Calipers,
Chevy Camaro. We'll be there. First.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:22 AM

Zaino is great stuff and there is no way that the Zaino is actually responsible. I bet the scrathes were already there, and/or something was wrong with the pad.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:36 PM

Well my local Zaino distributor (H. Carl Voellm) came up today and all I can say is what a GREAT guy he is, I mean its rare in this day and age to run into someone so willing to help and knowledgeable. He gave me alot of tips and some opinions. To restate things my only beef was with the Zaino applicator, NOT the Zaino process. In fact in my humble opinion NOTHING I ever used even come close to the Zaino process in almost all areas. I laso stated before that for me, the debate is now closed. I could care less what caused the scratches and I'm leaning to the fact that it may have not been the applicator at all, the washing with Dawn could have brought out scratches that were already present. As Carl saw you have to really look (under flouresent lighting) to even see them-when the car is outside they are practically invisible. What this whole debate showed me is that Zaino has some really rabid fans, for darn good reason. Once you use it you are hooked by all Sal's products, and he has some AWESOME distributors too who REALLY care about their customers cars. I'm kinda sorry about some of the name calling that went on here, but healthy debate is sometimes needed in any forum. Thanks Carl you are a class guy in every respect!
Old 06-05-2002, 05:18 PM

Glad everything has worked out well for you.

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY
Old 06-05-2002, 06:56 PM

Brian, thank you for the kind words, it's how we try to treat our customers, it was a pleasure to meet you as well.

[This message has been edited by hcvone (edited June 05, 2002).]
Old 06-06-2002, 12:32 PM
chocoruacal

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by baron4406:
I'm kinda sorry about some of the name calling that went on here, but healthy debate is sometimes needed in any forum. Thanks Carl you are a class guy in every respect!</font>
I have never used Zaino. I use Zymol because its fairly inexpensive, its easy to get, and it makes my Z28 look great.

Having said that, and having read all the posts, I bet you that the scratches were there BEFORE you did the Zaino. You said yourself the hillbilly before you used to set things on the car. Retard probably used it as a storage shelf

I feel your pain though. My Z28 is black, and the first time I washed it after buying it from the dealer, I noticed a lot of swirl marks in the pain that I guess were covered by the previous wax job. Try not to get to bent out of shape over it, on old cars like 95's, there's no way that its gonna look brand new

------------------
Dave

95 Z28 for sale in SW Ohio

Old 06-07-2002, 02:04 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chocoruacal:
I have never used Zaino. I use Zymol because its fairly inexpensive, its easy to get, and it makes my Z28 look great.

Having said that, and having read all the posts, I bet you that the scratches were there BEFORE you did the Zaino. You said yourself the hillbilly before you used to set things on the car. Retard probably used it as a storage shelf

I feel your pain though. My Z28 is black, and the first time I washed it after buying it from the dealer, I noticed a lot of swirl marks in the pain that I guess were covered by the previous wax job. Try not to get to bent out of shape over it, on old cars like 95's, there's no way that its gonna look brand new

</font>
My 95 black Z28 Convertible looks like new if not better after a lot of TLC, Zaino and being a Garage Queen ( never seen rain ). An older model can look great if proper technique and a lot of time is invested.

------------------
95 Triple Blk Z28 Convertible - "garage queen"
Old 06-08-2002, 06:57 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chocoruacal:

</font>
Just do what I plan to do.....a million coats of Z5!!! Thanks to finally getting some ZFX I'm gonna try. Hey why not.

------------------
'91 Talon AWD- 16g turbo, hacked MAF with K&N, 2.5" custom catback. Three fried pistons rings and 2 quarts of oil per week.Ran mid 13's on the stock 14b turbo.
'95 Camaro Z-28- Flowmaster catback,TB bypass,custom cold air with HUGE K&N. 14.3's at 98MPH (SLUG) Not totally immobile due to a screwed up shift kit install (be me....duh)
Old 06-11-2002, 10:35 AM

Before you start Zaino'ing a bad paint finish, I suggest you get a mild abrasive/swirl remover and go over the worst spots on the car.

3M's swirl remover did wonders on my Caddy's 12 year old white hood. It looked amazing, and after one coat of Z-5, you can't believe how good it looks now!

Get the paint in better shape first with a swirl remover, then start Zaino. My 0.02.

------------------
Solomon
What's life all about?
Silver '95 Camaro Z28 M6: 14.3 @ 98.7 - With problems, but will improve!
White '90 Cadillac deVille: 16.3 @ 81.4 - Not likely to change soon.
Learn the basics of tuning your OBDI LT1 PCM!