Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

DIY guys, want to detail like a pro???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM

DIY guys, want to detail like a pro???

The main difference between pro's and DIY detailers is experience, and tools. Pro's will use orbital polishers (Makita, Dewalt), which rotate on an axel, perfectly round. High speed for great results, but high risk. DIY guys buy "Buffers" (Simoniz, Porter Cable, etc...) that work on a random-orbit axis, which is great for the home detailer. No risk of burning paint, or swirling the **** out of your paint!

Here's a great tip for all you DIY guys that have an orbital buffer that uses "bonnets" instead of a polishing pad.

Go to your local fabric store (or do what I did, and get the wife to pick it up for you!) and pick up some VELCRO. Get enough of it to cover the base of your buffer. Most random orbit buffers usually run 7" - 10"

Get a good adhesive (I used 3M) and adhere the velcro to the base of your buffer. Be sure to adhere the correct side of the velcro!!! the "hook" side should be applied to the buffer base.

From here, you can go out, and purchase some decent buffing/polishing pads, and get away from using the inefficient "bonnets" -- I'd recommend a large, soft pad for the DIY'er. You'll get fantastic results with no risk of damage.

VOILA! you've just modified your buffer into a more efficient, harder working machine that will provide you with better results, and will only cost you a couple dollars to modify. Get a good polish/wax (I use autoglym) and giv'er.