how to stop gas prices from going up

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:36 PM

how to stop gas prices from going up

I GOT THIS IN MY EMAIL.
I ONLY BUY CHEVRON BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD PASS IT ON

Dear friends & family,
It is rumoured that we are going to hit close to a $1.42 a Litre by
the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the don't buy gas on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, this is a plan that can really work. Please read it
and join with us!

We all know that we're being controlled by the oil companies. Does everyone remember how they drove up the prices way past a dollar and got the gas prices to where they wanted them, claiming there was a shortage of oil. Well, there isn't any shortage now, and the oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre of gas is CHEAP at $0.78-$0.85, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we cant just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now
are one), PETRO CANADA, SHELL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of PETRO CANADA and SHELL buyers. Its really simple to do!!
Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and Ill explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to at least thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED
MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Ill bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:40 PM

bah its been posted, its not gonna work. the only way is to consume less and have less demand on oil. that way price will go down. but the way things are going with SUVs around every corner i doubt it.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:50 PM

I won't go into the details of why this will never work because if you are interested you can surely find them yourself.
Suffice to say - those tactics will only drive prices higher.

I can't hardly believe that people are still getting that email and that they think it's true.........
Old 05-20-2004, 11:33 PM

Re: how to stop gas prices from going up

Originally posted by stevem

oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!

Gas was 29 cents a litre a couple of years ago during the gas war. I agree this will never work and I've had a few e-mails like this too. Our newer f-bodys and vets get pretty damn good mileage and I only use 94 Chevron too. Too many SUV's and trucks on the road, do these people really need these massive gas guzzlers? Yo Steven, I bought a home on Trader's Cove right off the lakeshore, you know where I'm spending alot of my summer. I'm also looking for a in-ground swimming pool expert to help install a new liner on a 20 x 40. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:23 AM

1.52.....ya right
Old 05-21-2004, 09:01 PM

Simple solution. Price gouge the americans and lower our price . I dont know how much of an effect this would have but I dont see any harm in trying to get the message out to ONLY buy chevron. The problem is things like airmiles, and the fact that people will go to another station as soon as its $0.1 cheaper.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:30 PM

Hey I got an idea?

Use a car that does not take much gas and use even less of there product then ever. this hits there LONG term pocket book! Better yet use a crappy Hybred!

That is what we are doing.

and yes they are predicticing prices that high. prices have all ready hit $4 a gal in some califonia hot spots!

Oh yeah price gouge the Canadians LOL!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:48 PM

The only thing you can do is change the way we idiots on this continent drive and buy cars. The only way to shift down the demand curve enough to make a difference is NOT take a shortcut by boycotting... the rise in population, the increase in new cars, etc... will far outstrip that.

Don't drive an SUV for commuting. Stupid if you do. Only if mandatory for work.
Carpool. Stupid if you don't try it. Though I know its tough in some areas.
Walk. Don't drive.

We're a bunch of F'n babies in NA. Everyone wants a shortcut, but no one really tried hard to solve the long run problem.