New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

Hello from Windsor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM

Hello from Windsor

First off I would like to say hello and that I have been reading for a while. My name is Andrew and I am located in Windsor right beside Detroit. I always liked the look of the third gen Camaro and my dad had one when I was born so there is some sentimental value as well.
Now to the build. I have been thinking about a track day car for a while and throwing around ideas with some friends I came up with an interesting concept. I am starting a track day car project/social experiment where I am trying to put together a third gen Camaro track day car for zero dollars. The idea is that the parts, equipment and tools will be bought, sold and donated by/to me with a final total cost of zero dollars including the car. I will buy what I need and sell what I don’t and hopefully come out in the end at zero. I will have a website and everybody that makes a donation will be acknowledged.
The idea just came to me last week but already over the weekend I picked up a quadrajet for $20 and a 95% complete 2 bolt 305 with a performer intake, aftermarket cam and most of the accessories for free.
At this point my main goal is a running third gen that can last for a few sessions at a track day. I would eventually like to get to 300+WHP, a vortec 350, have a 4th gen rear end and a few of the lightweight 4th gen parts like seats and drive shaft, and some upgraded suspension and brake components.
I am going to try and acquire as many parts as I can for free or almost free(hopefully many from here) and then start bartering, trading, selling what I can as I put together the final mix. I am still in search of a car and currently scouring the surrounding area for whatever parts I can get for a 305/350/third gen. I look forward to the knowledge and help I get from this community.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Re: Hello from Windsor

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!

Interesting build concept. One caution - don't consider the 4th Gen rear axle an upgrade... it's the same weak 7.5/7.625" 10-bolt they used in most 3rd Gens. Does have the advantage of rear wheel discs and a limited slip diff if you get one from a V8 model. Then you have to wrestle with the fact it is 3" wider than the 3rd Gen rear, requiring wheels with ~50mm offset. That said, it's generally good for 300rwHP with an auto trans.