New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

1985 Z28 305 V8 Barn find

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 08:35 PM

1985 Z28 305 V8 Barn find

Figured I would join the forum and see what I can learn. Just got my hands on a 1985 305 V8 Z28. HAd not run since 1988. Broke the engine free and did some very basic PM and plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I have the car turning over and actually starting while being fed from the bowl not the tank. Will hold an idle....sort of LOL.

What next? I am going to change all the belts and hoses. all fluids... vacuum lines, and do a carb kit to clean up the 4 barrel factory. What am I missing!?

Look forward to meeting everyone. I will post more pics as time goes and may even do a couple videos.

so much pigeon and bat poop

The day i found her and took her home.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:53 PM

Re: 1985 Z28 305 V8 Barn find

Nice find 🤟 welcome
Old 10-01-2021, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

Great find. Lots of work needed - basically replace every fluid in the car - coolant, engine oil, trans, rear axle, brake fluid, fuel. Check all under car lines for corrosion and damage. Replace all filters - engine air, engine oil, trans (if automatic), fuel filter. Check radiator cap for pressure rating, check fuel fill cap for correct type, replace PVC valve, O2 sensor. Check coolant and intake air temp sensors. Check brake calipers for frozen pistons and corrode slide pins. Examine all suspension bushings for cracks, wear. Probably a lot more but that's good for starters.

Replace tires.

Glad to see a 3rd Gen owner join the site. Seems like the only people who come here any more are 4th Gen LT1 owners.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jackstands
Nice find 🤟 welcome
Thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to meeting all the folks
Old 10-01-2021, 06:15 AM

This is great information and very much needed. I am typically a Jeep YJ and TJ guy. Grew up working on my dads older 60's and 70's muscle cars, but its been a while. This is a great list! Thank you.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:45 PM

That's awesome! I'm trying to keep my eyes out for a 3rd Gen as a project car! If you don't mind me asking, what did you give for it, and how many miles? Post some pics of the interior too!
Old 10-07-2021, 07:02 PM

Short story behind this car is .... The first owner bought the car new for his daughter... first winter they realized it was no good in the snow and parked in the cow barn where it sat until this year when i got it. It has 28000 or so miles on it. When i went to go pick up the car I casually talked about how my son and I were going to work on this as a project car together and his wife said.... "the car is free"... yep... free. She loved that my son and I were working on this car together. We also thought the likelihood of the car running and being "salvageable" was slim. We were wrong. She is a runner! The interior is a part atm. The only issue with the car is a small rip in the drivers seat where the dad got in with a pair of plier in his back pocket one time to try and start it and ripped the seat. Besides that.. pretty clean. I will try and get some pics in here asap when she is back together and dry from the steam cleaning. One other side note... remarkably there was almost no mouse damage. A couple seals that were nibbled on one spot, one in the air cleaner, and two small wires for the smog system chewed. literally nothing else... ON A FARM!! how the hell? I will also post some first pass pics of the paint restoration... She is coming up nicely already with just removing the oxidation. Stay tuned... I do a bit more each week.

Last edited by C9gunner; 10-07-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:51 PM

FREE??? damn, you hit the lottery. Congrats and cherish every minute fixing it up with your kid!
Old 10-08-2021, 07:22 AM

Thank you Jackstands. We are indeed having a lot of fun. Its great to see him light up the more she comes alive. One quick update for the thread. The car now runs off of fuel from the tank. Carb needs to be rebuilt very badly.. but that is next on the list of "to do's" . Stay tuned!